Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Painted grille and lower valance today

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painted grille and lower valance today

Just thought I would post this...
I bought my truck a year ago for use as a Tow Vehicle for my SeaDoo's (I/T guy with way too much money and free time). I changed career paths after 12 yrs of I/T (hated it) and now I am the manager for a Recon Dept at a dealership in town.

Anyho, I had my painter paint the black grille (chrome underneath?) and the lower valance below the chrome front bumper GREEN to match my truck. It looks GREAT! Not sure what color this green is, very dark with some metallic in it. It looks 10 times better than I thought. I have clear corners and bumper lights coming and some 15x8 AR Baja's as well. Cant wait to see the whole effect.

I later want to add a chrome push bar and some KC lights to complete the exterior. Oh, and maybe some Bilstein shocks and Hotchkis rear sway bar for better handling.

Now that I am poor (but happy) with my career change, I can't wait to fix up the old 4Runner....
Old 03-10-2003, 03:15 PM

Sounds good, do you have any pics?

Jim
Old 03-10-2003, 03:19 PM

not yet, it is still at work curing inside.
I have some before pics and will take "after" pics soon.
I would like to get the lights/wheels installed first.

It is a little hard to tell the difference from some angle because of the color of the truck...If it had been red or white it would have shown up even better.

He did add a bonding agent after sanding, then 2 coats of base and 4 coats of clear to help with future chipping...
Old 03-10-2003, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

I hope it was spray can clear.. Too much clear will cause more chips.. The film thickness is too great and it fractures the clear.. I can't wait to see how it looks.. I had thought about painting my grille.. But I left it and just did the valance and some other spots..

If done properly, the paint will stick.. I can show you a photo from my front valance where it got really nailed.. No flaking.. Well gouged all to hell, but it didn't flake.. (the lower half of the bumper on the side was touching the underside of the top!) Well, untill I took it off and beat it to death with a hammer! Just tin, my friend.. it is only tin.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:09 PM

I am not sure what he used, he is good, even with tri-stage paints/pearls. He is the only contractor I use who can do the pearl whites/reds.

I will take some pics soon and post them.
I like your wood kit. I thought about a carbon fiber kit but wood would look better with tan interior I think.

My lower valance is plastic or rubber, I thought it was aluminum, but it appears to be a plastic piece...My old 4x4 truck had an aluminum piece below the bumper....
Old 03-10-2003, 04:16 PM

Before pic, After pic later

hope this works...
Old 03-10-2003, 04:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SS:

I was thinking about painting just the lower valence on my 98 desert dune, but I think it wouldnt look as good. Any pics would be great.

Bob
Old 03-10-2003, 04:21 PM

again...
Old 03-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks... I love the dash, still one of my favorites.. For tan I would go with the burlwood.. I think the grain and color goes better with tan.. I know a lot of people have the carbon fibre, I personaly don't like the look myself.. It just kinda gives off a "ricer" attitude.. BTW, Yes the lower valance on the 92 and up 4Runners are plastic while the 90-91 (Correct me if I am wrong here Corey) is basicly the same as the pick up.. As a nice looking upgrade tot he 90-91, I think the pick-up valance looks better, it has more of a "lower brow" to it..
Old 03-10-2003, 04:24 PM

This is the before pic, I will try to get a dig camera tomorrow and take some after pics at work.

The dark green paint on the truck still looks black at times, like I said, if it were red or white or even desert dune, it would show up much better...it's really hard to notice what is painted up front now unless the lighting is good and bright, but I like it...