Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Paint Job Woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 03:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint Job Woes

I have an 85' Runner that is too many colors for me to deal with, I wanna look normal again, she's my d/d and my trail rig.
I went to a place around here called, Peaches Auto Body Repair and Paint. I've heard of them other places so they may be a chain, I'm not sure. But they gave me the ebst price as of yet. I went to Macco and they wanted $650 for their lowest quality paint and a one year shine warrenty, that price included door jams, they would do it in two days. Now this place seemed more like a used car place, asking me what price would make me happy and how they could wheel and deal the numbers down, but they came up with $425 for a much better quality paint, clear coat, and door jams all included, with a 3 year warrenty, it would take 4-5 days total. I guess my question is do you guys think that $425 is a good price to do all that work on my 85' Runner. They'll remove all the crappy decals from the other owner and then begin sanding. It all sounds good when it's being talked but I'm weary to spend that kind of money all at once. I'm tierd of being two almost thee different colors, and looking like a farm truck but I still want a good job done.

P.S. Sorry for the long post, me if you can. ANY input is appreciated.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

425 is cheap! I take it that they do no body work ,just prep it for painting. And they are painting the jambs plus base coat/clear coat.It would cost you for materials alone at least $200 for the cheapest paint and clear,tape, masking paper ,prep solve,sandpaper,etc. If it really takes them 4-5 days ,then they must being doing it right.Are they baking it also? I'd go for it if you never painted before.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:51 PM

Sounds like a pretty good deal if your getting everything they are sayin. I have a hard time believing your gonna get much for $425 dollars though. Just the paint alone is prolly worth a buck fifty. A "good" job is gonna require sanding, priming, sanding again, basecoat, clearcoat, wet sanding, and buffing. I would be wanting to take a look at another one of there jobs and letting them know that your expecting a certain quality if they are gonna do it. Just do your research. And if your able to do the prep work yourself youll prolly save some money and end up with a better paint job. Normally thats where these places shortcut the process is in the prep work.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:28 PM

you got to watch the first rainstorm..That water based paint will wash off!
Old 03-11-2004, 04:40 PM

425 is dirt cheap. It'd make me worried actually. Like everyone else is saying, paint alone is a little less than half of that. They probably sand for adhesion and nothing more. Then again, maybe they are legit, just doesn't seem that it would be worth their while to go that low.

Definately ask to see some other vehicles, especially ones painted in a color close to yours. Also ask them if they used the same paint and prep for that vehicle as they are going to for yours.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:54 PM
Contributing Member

I've done lots of body and paint work over the years and our local Macco charges $900 for just an enamal job and no body work. I think everybody has a good point.....better ask alot of questions first.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

I was there for over an hour, their original offer was for 600 bucks, then with some talking and knocking a few things off, like getting rid of the truck and suv charge b/c I wasn't getting the fiberglass topm done that it really was more like a car sized area they were actually painting. With enough talk and so on I got the price down to that. The guy offered to show me some of his work they did there, there was a midnight blue Honda and it looked like a factory job, then there was a Red CJ7 and it looked really clean too, considering the clear coat hadn't been applyed. It all seems ligit, considering I was once thinking about just giving the rig a rattle can job, I think this isn't so bad.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Stump1883
I was there for over an hour, their original offer was for 600 bucks, then with some talking and knocking a few things off, like getting rid of the truck and suv charge b/c I wasn't getting the fiberglass topm done that it really was more like a car sized area they were actually painting. With enough talk and so on I got the price down to that. The guy offered to show me some of his work they did there, there was a midnight blue Honda and it looked like a factory job, then there was a Red CJ7 and it looked really clean too, considering the clear coat hadn't been applyed. It all seems ligit, considering I was once thinking about just giving the rig a rattle can job, I think this isn't so bad.
paint quality is mostly determined by the quality of the prep work. if they do a good job preparing for paint you will be fine! 425 is cheap for paint though.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:58 PM

425 USD for a paint job for a 85 4runner. If it was mine, I wouldn't do it.
But, its yours so lets go through the paces:

Check www.bbb.com (Better business bearu) to see if they have had problems.

Examine how they prep and paint auto's before they do yours. Ask for refernences.

Ask what kind of paint they use; sherwin williams (gag me with a racoon tail)
or what other brand they may use.

Ask how many layers of primer, paint and finish coat they are using.
Primer should be 2 or 3 layers, finish coat 2 and final coat 2 ... that would a bottom line job. better shops using alot more coats followed up by sanding.

Story, there's a outfit in Forest Grove, Oregon that will paint a car for 299 USD. I drive by their place about once a week. They allow the cars to be moved outside to cure. Between dust, dirt and the occassional rain drop, causes the paint to look like ˟˟˟˟˟. Not that good looking ˟˟˟˟˟ but, butt ugly wooly ˟˟˟˟˟ that a fly would land on (IMHO).
Old 03-12-2004, 12:18 AM
Contributing Member

It never rains in Oregon
Old 03-12-2004, 03:59 AM
Contributing Member

You will get what you pay for. When I painted my 1978 F250, I used the highest quality DuPont paint and clear cost. That cost over $400 alone. But its been 6 years since I painted it and it still looks new.

I have heard that Maaco's paint either fades or peels after 5 or so years.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

If it will last 5 years that is fine with me, I don't have the budget to get a $1000 paint job, I really wish I did. It really really sucks that I don't. I'm in a jam now and it sucks big time, I want a one color car really bad but I simply can not afford a Good Quality place to do it. I hate being stuck in limbo with stuff like this.

Last edited by Stump1883; 03-12-2004 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-12-2004, 09:07 AM

I know how you feel. After I had all my rust taken care of I was all set to get my truck painted. It was at maaco, but they showed me tons of cars they had painted, and all looked great. Quote was for $680. I ended up passing because of what everyone said here, but being on a tight budget, and wanting a truck to look good so you can be proud of it is hard to balance.

How long do you want the paint to last. If you're alright with it only lasting 3 years or so, then maybe you can go for it. It is an older truck, so it doesn't need to be perfect, especially if you wheel it, its gonna get scratches and trail carnage. Maybe ask them if you can come in and see the prep work they do to your truck, basically, ask if you would be able to check on it while they work on it.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:57 AM

i would say just go for it... i bought my yota a few months a go and the previous retard owner painted it half blue, half silver with theese tribal graphics and stickers on the doors n ˟˟˟˟... ugh sooo gay.... ive begun stripping like everything myself and soon i think im gonna go give it to earl scheib they got a special for 199$ lol... 1 yr warranty.... i really dont give a crap what kinda job they do, cause this is my trail rig also and its gonna get messed up and scratched, plsu its a 94 and i dont care about the paint loooking good. im a student with no money and this is the best i can do so i would say in yur cause just go for it.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:28 AM

line-x