Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

OME Lift w/ Pictures - Better late then never...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OME Lift w/ Pictures - Better late then never...

OME Lift Pictures

I finally decided to get around to posting the pictures of my OME Suspension updgrade. I installed N86 / N91S Regular valved shocks and 881 / 891 Springs (Mike with Extreme Off Road hooked me up) about two months ago. I also threw on Energy Suspension poly bushings and end links for the sway bar. The pictures include before, after, and a picture today (2 months later).

From the top of the rim to bottom of the wheelwell before the lift I had about 11.75" all around. After the lift I got 15" in the rear and about 14.75 in the front. This was just what I was looking for. In the two months and about 5000 miles of driving (both city, hwy, and off-hwy) since the lift, the rear has remained at 15" but the front has settled slightly to about 14.25". At this point its not enough of a difference to really tell or make me go buy cornbreds for the fronts.

Performance-wise this has been the best decision I have made for the rig. Handling is vastly improved. The ride is much more solid and firm. Body roll has been reduced quite a bit as well. On road it is better than before and feels safer. Off road the difference is outstanding, it will definitely take anything I can throw at it without being overly jarring. I have also towed a boat with this setup and now it does not look like a lowrider in the rear anymore.

I have been closely monitoring the state of my CV boots. So far everything has been great. No excessive angles and no grease seepage. I also have not experienced any vibration of any sort. Now I just wish I had 33's on it. Not sure if I am ready to dump the $$$ on 5.29s just yet. If anyone knows of anyone who does gear swaps in the Portland area for a decent price, let me know.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

looking good!!! whats your next mod?
Old 07-07-2003, 07:35 PM

Good question. Toys on my list

1. K&N FIPK
2. New plug wires - Any suggestions???
3. Replace the Audiobahn subs - both subs have a toasted voice coil. I have been looking at Elemental Designs K series. 3 year warantee, no questions asked.
4. 4.88 gears
5. Air locker
Old 07-08-2003, 12:43 PM
Contributing Member

Scratch off #1 and do the deckplate mod.
Save yourself the $200 to use on a different project!
Old 07-08-2003, 12:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Tacoma Dude
Scratch off #1 and do the deckplate mod.
Save yourself the $200 to use on a different project!
I agree, get an Amsoil air filter too!!
Old 07-08-2003, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2. New plug wires - Any suggestions???

I'll sick with the Toyota plug wires if I were you.

George
Old 07-08-2003, 06:28 PM

Magnecore plug wires are good. High quality. Plus the fact that they are red gives you 100 more horsepower!! at least thats what the ricers say...
Old 07-08-2003, 07:27 PM

plug wires.

go with the accel 8.8 mm plug wires. they are made for and 8 cyl. and you have to put the ends that go to the distributor together but it's worth it. the ends that go to the spark plugs are the long boots and no the bent ones so it's easy to get them in. and you have planty of wire to get to the farthest spark plug. I highly recomend. Plus you get a nice sticker!
Old 07-08-2003, 09:06 PM

The FIPK is pretty expensive, I agree. Everyone knocks it on here and 4x4Wire because of Gadget's dyno test. What they don't realize is that was a SC 3.4. The SC'ed motors are already running lean typically, of course more air isn't going to help much. Unless you have the EXACT same setup as him, your results are going to be different. You have a completely different motor and setup. Also, his test doesn't take into account that the deckplate mod is pulling in ambient engine bay air, not outside air. On a 100 degree day, do you think you are getting more power with the deckplate mod over an FIPK??? I doubt it. Most likely all the extra hot air coming through the deckplate in is causing the comp to significantly retard timing, thus lowering HP.

I have a 2.7 with every every piece of the exhaust done up (2-1/4 pipe, LC Engineering Header, High flow cat, flowmaster 40 series)...with all that flow I need to bring the intake up to the same level. I have already cut a hole in the airbox and have a K&N drop in. Plus with the header, the metal intake pipe going into the throttlebody gets really hot because of the stainless pipes. The cast iron with a heat shield was quite a bit cooler. That superheated air tube probably doesn't help either. I have a friend with a similar setup in his Tacoma. When he switched from the K&N and torn up airbox to the FIPK, the difference was definitely noticeable. Has anyone tried a homemade CAI??
Old 07-08-2003, 09:21 PM
Contributing Member

Also, his test doesn't take into account that the deckplate mod is pulling in ambient engine bay air, not outside air. On a 100 degree day, do you think you are getting more power with the deckplate mod over an FIPK??? I doubt it. Most likely all the extra hot air coming through the deckplate in is causing the comp to significantly retard timing, thus lowering HP.
I think you have that backwards. Since the FIPK places the conical airfilter in the same place as the stock airbox, it is subject to the same, if not more, hot air induction.

The FIPK is great at high altitudes on a supercharged engine. The air/fuel mixture is dead on. In town is a different story. It does run lean. The FIPK also causes damage to the inner fender. I am the second person to confirm this. You can read my review of the FIPK here and Gadget's review here.

If you are interested in trying the FIPK yourself, e-mail me. I'll sell you mine cheap!
Old 07-08-2003, 09:25 PM

Do you have the FIPK2? Doesn't that have a heat shield that is supposed to block off engine air?

I would love to test out the FIPK, I've got a 2.7 though....
Old 07-08-2003, 09:33 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, it has the heat shield. I plugged a high temp thermometer into the FIPK before the heat shield and after the heat shield and noticed only a 15° difference. My method was rather rudimentary. Maybe someone else can confirm this.

Also, the intake air is heated at the throttle body anyways. There are heater hoses attached to the throttle bodyl. So, if the coolant is hot, it will heat up the intake air. The air filter would have to be mounted directly behind the bumper or valance to have any beneficial effect. I've seen this done on a 3rd gen before, but I don't remember who did it.

3. Replace the Audiobahn subs - both subs have a toasted voice coil. I have been looking at Elemental Designs K series. 3 year warantee, no questions asked.
Getting back to the original subject...
I have a pair of Rockford 12" subs for sale. I also have a sealed enclosure for 2 12s and a sealed enclosure for a single 12. I might let the Rockford 180.2 amp go, too, if the offer is entertaining