Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Old vs. new(er) Tacoma ride quality question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old vs. new(er) Tacoma ride quality question

Just went from a '95.5 xtra cab 4wd Tacoma w/2.7 & 5 spd. to an '01 xtra cab 4wd Tacoma w/3.4 & auto. The difference in ride characteristics is significant. Both had/have camper shell. The 95.5 was more bouncy, felt lighter. 2 60 lb. sand bags in the rear of the bed really helped dampen it and smooth things out. This was especially noticeable over small potholes/manhole covers and major intersection multi-lane "road ripple" perpendicular to direction of travel. It really felt like a small pickup with a light rear end, even with the camper shell.

I've had the '01 a few days now and am getting to know it. Comparatively speaking, it feels heavier, more like a full size truck or SUV. The ride is much more dampened, with occasional resonance (as opposed to a single hop/pop) over the same objects mentioned above. When braking to a full stop, there's a slight bump as the truck comes to a complete stop, which is probably more of an automatic transmission feel as it makes its complete downshift. In normal driving, there are moments that it feels like the old one with a load of a couple hundred pounds in the rear, or even as if I'm pulling a trailer. Not good, not bad, but very different than what I was used to. It is overall a much more comfortable ride, but I'm asking if anyone else making a similar transition has noticed the same differences, or can speak generally to the ride qualities of the '01 4WD Tacoma TRD package.

The history on this truck was spotless, as is the underside. There are no dings or scratches in the skidplate(s), and only a very tiny ding in the bottom of the rear diff. It looks as if the original Bilstein's are still on it. I've only had it a few days and am months away from putting it on anything other than pavement. Everything about it looks dead straight and feels tight. I'm nearly 100% confident there is nothing questionable about its past. I'm just surprised that the difference in feel is so pronounced.

Any insight anyone can provide is much appreciated.

Last edited by jdsdj98; 01-08-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it's a heavier truck. The ride will seem smoother. Just like if you were to ride in a Honda Civic hatchback, then in a Cadillac. I've driven a 96 Taco 2.7L, and the weight difference could be felt compared to my 01 Double Cab. I much prefer the heavier feel.

Also, compare your truck to the new Tacomas or Tundras. They've got a MUCH better on-road ride.