Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Old Man Emu lift for a 2000 4Runner, some questions..

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Man Emu lift for a 2000 4Runner, some questions..

Thinking about putting a OME kit on my 2000 4Runner Limited. The questions I have are regarding the different pachages. I am thinking of getting the light front springs, and they heavy rear spring. I do not plan on adding a winch or bullbar, and I do tow a trailer (3000lbs, 300lbs tounge weight) alot. Anyone who has experiance with these kits could you please give me your opinion. How much lift did you get, and what size tires can you fit without rubbing? Thanks alot.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tow a trailer with about 300# tongue weight. I also, not at the same time, haul 600# in the cargo area and it doesn't squat much. I have 890s out back. I love the ride with and with out a load. If I was to haul a trailer all the time I may seriously consider the 891s. The 890s do a great job. I would have to weigh the tongue of my trailer (can't right now, it is buried in snow on a storage lot) and measure the squat. I will try to load the rear bumper and do some measurements. My front coils are Tundra TRDs. Also great.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:33 AM

Just do the Tundra/ FJ80 lift and be done with it, www.sonoransteel.com

Aaron
Old 01-31-2007, 06:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by k_southman
Thinking about putting a OME kit on my 2000 4Runner Limited. The questions I have are regarding the different pachages. I am thinking of getting the light front springs, and they heavy rear spring. I do not plan on adding a winch or bullbar, and I do tow a trailer (3000lbs, 300lbs tounge weight) alot. Anyone who has experiance with these kits could you please give me your opinion. How much lift did you get, and what size tires can you fit without rubbing? Thanks alot.
If you put 880's up front and went with 891's in the rear the truck would look like it was ready to enter the NHRA Prostock division (and get about the same gas mileage too). If you want to get a slight lift with good driveability, good gas mileage and sits fairly level even when unloaded then I would get the same setup I have OME881 up front, OME906 in the rear and a good set of OME comfort shocks or Tokico Trekmasters (need to get those before they're discontinued) all around. Then for towing, put a set of airbags in the rear coils and only inflate them when you need them. Otherwise if you put springs in which are great when towing, the unloaded ride will be punishing for your passengers. Just my $0.02 anyway.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:25 AM

First just to clarify I am looking at:

Front OME 880 are the softest springs front shocks OMEN91SC
The rear springs would be OME890 for heavy or OME906 for medium, with the shocks being N86.

Do you really think the back of my truck will be totally jacked up with the heavy springs? If that is the case I guess I could use the .5mm spacers in the front to even it out a bit.

I am just worried that the medium springs in the back will be too soft for me when I tow my trailers. I have thought about Firestone (TRD) Air Bags but a friend of mine had a set and they didn't work properly with his lift (he tore 2 sets), as they are designed for stock rear springs.

Could someone provide me with more info about the FJ60/Tundra option. This is what I have heard...the Front FJ 60 coils can be used in the back of a 4runner for about 3" of lift. is that true? If you go Tundra in the front does that involve using the coils and struts from a tundra? Any other mods needed? How much lift over stock? What will the ride be like?

Thanks alot for everyones help.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

Could someone provide me with more info about the FJ60/Tundra option. This is what I have heard...the Front FJ 60 coils can be used in the back of a 4runner for about 3" of lift. is that true? If you go Tundra in the front does that involve using the coils and struts from a tundra? Any other mods needed? How much lift over stock? What will the ride be like?

Thanks alot for everyones help.
It's coils from an FZJ80 not a FJ60. Read this thread for the answers to all your other questions: New Suspension Setup - TRD Front Lift for a 3rd Gen 4Runner!

Last edited by Bighead; 01-31-2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:58 AM

Yea yea I left off a the letter Z! FZJ80 My setup is slightly different than that setup, it does tow nice. Doesnt sag . Though to level mine out I have 1" of spacers and limit straps in the front. Also make sure you have the panhard bar correction, " either the new bar or the relocation kit"

Aaron

Originally Posted by Bighead
It's coils from an FZJ80 not a FJ60. Read this thread for the answers to all your other questions: New Suspension Setup - TRD Front Lift for a 3rd Gen 4Runner!
Old 01-31-2007, 10:37 AM

K
I took some pictures. They arn't pretty but that's not what were looking at. Just a reminder, I have Tundra TRDs up front and OME 890s out back. I don't have any extra spacers, just the springs for lift.All measurements were made from the bottom of the flair to the center of my wheel cap. Unloaded the measurement was: Front 22.25" ,Rear 23". All other measurements will reflect a drop or rise from these measurements. I added 35# sandbags to my rear bumper for weight. This was as close as I could get to hitch weight.

Unloaded the measurement was: Front 22.25", Rear 23".
Name:  RearSquat003.jpg
Views: 3811
Size:  57.6 KB

Loaded with +210 lbs: Front no change, Rear drop of .5"
Name:  RearSquat004.jpg
Views: 2698
Size:  56.2 KB

Loaded with +315 lbs: Front rise of .25", Rear drop of .75"
Name:  RearSquat005.jpg
Views: 2420
Size:  56.0 KB

Loaded with +420 lbs: Front rise of .25", Rear drop of .1.25"
Name:  RearSquat006.jpg
Views: 5428
Size:  56.2 KB

Loaded with +560 lbs: Front rise of .5", Rear drop of 1.75"
Name:  RearSquat007.jpg
Views: 2001
Size:  55.5 KB

This is 560 lbs of sandbags. This is the placement for this test.
Name:  RearSquat008.jpg
Views: 2294
Size:  50.7 KB

My setup in by no means harsh nor is it squishy when loaded or unloaded. My ride was more harsh with the stock spring/shock combo. Stock I had Tokicos, I replaced them with Bilsteins which gave me a firm supple ride. I was still hitting my bumpstops and Jounce Bumbers (rear overloads) I kept my Bilsteins with my new springs. Great ride. Shocks can have as much if not more effect than springs on how harsh a ride can be.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

Great post
Old 01-31-2007, 10:49 AM

The OME kits are less about height and more about ride. If you want a nice ride and minimum lift, they are the way to go.....
Old 01-31-2007, 11:16 AM

I have the tundra with heavy springs and shocks in the rear. I like them took the sway bars off and I needed the stiffness. Towed a tandem axle trailer with my truck on it and it sagged some but I really like everything about the lift. Id make sure to get the drop panhard bar if I had to do it again.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:20 PM

Initially I needed the ability to tow w/o compromise of to much sagging. I do mtb racing and always hauling gear, tools, etc. So them I started shopping around comparing the OME to Sonoran Steel and found the SS lift the way to go, now keep in mind if you are looking for less sag you will need stiff springs unless you haul crap daily it indeed will ride kinda springy in the back. But like alot of people I have my just in case bag with tools, power inverter, dive light, pry bar, jumper cable, more tools, then an large pelican box outfitted with EMT level first aid , and finally a recovery bag 50' mp rope, 4 large shackles, snatch block, 2 small shackles. Oh yeah and my ARB 12v fluro light. But it really pays off when the wife and I load up for a week long trip and the truck doesnt drop more than 3/4" with roof tent and all .

Aaron
Old 01-31-2007, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

I did pretty much the same thing as Gerdo (although the sandbags are loaded more like a tungue weight test in his case vs mine were evenly distributed throughout the rear cargo area) with 881's up front (no spacers) and 890's in back and I sat pretty much dead level with 770 lbs in the back (10, 70lb sacks of cement). The point is that if you want to ride level or near level when towing, then you'll need a pretty hefty rake to the truck when unloaded. If you want level when unloaded, then vice versa. Not sure what happened with your friend's airbags (perhaps he let them deflate completely and they got pinched in a coil.....they need to have 5 psi min at all times), but there have been quite a few people that have/are running them successfully and if you want to ride level in both instances (loaded and unloaded), that is the best way to go about it.

If you want 1.5-2" lift, then go with 881/906's combo
If you want about 2-2.5", then go with the Tundra TRD/890's combo

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 01-31-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:46 PM

Go for it.. my OME rocks!
Old 01-31-2007, 07:52 PM

Thanks Everyone!

Thanks so much for all the opinions, especially GERDO, that was a great post thanks for your time! It helps me understand how the 890 coils will act under weight. Any other opinions would be great!

It seems like most peope that are running OME front coils are using the 881 (medium) front coils. I am wondering how they might ride compared to the 880 (stock/light). I do not plan on adding a winch, and it seems to me the medium coils might be overkill and lead to a rough ride in the front (OME chart states use the 881 springs for 110-220lbs over stock). I would be interested in the TRD front coils, but it seems to me that I might as well order the "KIT" from OME rather then piecing it together.

There is the option of adding airbags in the rear I guess...I am not to sure why my friends ripped on him. He got them replaced under warrenty twice and they told him the the longer coils would allow the bags to be loose in the coils and rip... How much are they to buy? I thought about $200 from toyota? For $200 I think I could live with a bit of a harsher unloaded ride the 890 coils would give me.

Again thanks everyone!
Old 02-01-2007, 06:29 AM
Contributing Member

It seems like most peope that are running OME front coils are using the 881 (medium) front coils. I am wondering how they might ride compared to the 880 (stock/light). I do not plan on adding a winch, and it seems to me the medium coils might be overkill and lead to a rough ride in the front (OME chart states use the 881 springs for 110-220lbs over stock). I would be interested in the TRD front coils, but it seems to me that I might as well order the "KIT" from OME rather then piecing it together.

There is the option of adding airbags in the rear I guess...I am not to sure why my friends ripped on him. He got them replaced under warrenty twice and they told him the the longer coils would allow the bags to be loose in the coils and rip... How much are they to buy? I thought about $200 from toyota? For $200 I think I could live with a bit of a harsher unloaded ride the 890 coils would give me.
I've seen a few people try the 880's and usually they end up needing to run spacers after because the ride height is too low (even the 99 coil springs up front would be a better choice than the 880s). The "stock/light" marketing stuff they put on there is a bit of a misnomer since it would lead you to believe that the 881's ride very harsh, but I can tell you for a fact they do not. They are a bit stiffer than stock, but you'd have a hard time noticing unless I pointed it out and you were looking for it. There is a reason alot of people are running the 881's up front, but you're certainly free to make your own choice.

The airbags should run you about $80 for a set.
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...con/4135T.html

Like I said, there are plenty of instances on YT where people are running them trouble free.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 02-01-2007 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:12 AM

K
The 890s are not harsh, I wouldn't wory about that. I had tried "AirLift" bags on my stock coils first. They did a great job. Took those off. The problem that I had, which others didn't have, was when I would let a rear wheel hang (articulation) it would sometimes pull the airline off the bag. No damage but I would have to reatach it. Springs are a mount and go setup. No worries about pulling any thing off.

P.S. I did not put on a longer Pan Hard Bar. I did measure the centering of my rear axle and it is centered. If it is off, it is only off by a 32nd".

Last edited by Gerdo; 02-01-2007 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:14 PM

I think I am sold on the 881 front and 890 rear springs.

The next questions I have is what should I pay for front and rear coils+shocks. Most of the price quotes I have gotten are $650+shipping. Is that a pretty standard price? Anyone have good/bad experiances ordering from a specific mail order joint?

Thanks again everyone!!
Old 02-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

I think I am sold on the 881 front and 890 rear springs.
That is going to ride a bit high in the rear FYI....click on my sig for pics of when I had 890's on mine before I switched to the 906's. The rake will be about 1.25+ inches (front to back) with no spacers up front when everything settles. If you do tow alot of heavy stuff then that setup would make sense (you'll have no trouble at all with heavy tongue weights).

The price is about right for OME shocks and springs all around but I remember it being as low as high $500's so you might want to give Toyota of Dallas (strap22 on YT, ask for Phil) www.toyotapartsales.com a call since they had some pretty good pricing on the OME stuff as well.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 02-01-2007 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:29 AM

I would be happy with a bit of "Rake" in the stance of my 4runner as I am typically carrying 200+ lbs in the back. I looked at your pics...thaks for the info. Are all your pics taken totally unladed? Spare tire under the truck? Do you have any pics or measurements of your truck with the 906 vs 980. I think OME states a .75" difference, just wondering if that is true.

Anyone else have comments about a 881 front/ 890 rear combo?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Old Man Emu lift for a 2000 4Runner, some questions..