Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Ok to get Snorkel...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok to get Snorkel...

I just got the OK to get a snorkel... (Got a wife yaknow how that goes)

actually ill try to sneak in a 160amp alternator and a optima too.. but we will see how the money goes... (the 6 lightforces are drawing alot of power lol)

Anyways... Is there anything I need sides' the tacoma airbox piece from the dealer? and the snorkel of course...and the tools...
Old 01-01-2004, 08:01 PM

I alot of trust in your sawing capabilities... I could never cut into my baby...

I want to see pics when this is done! I LOVE snorkels, they look plain awesome.
Old 01-01-2004, 08:27 PM

What kind do you plan on getting?
Old 01-02-2004, 08:25 AM

There's more than one? lol... prolley the ARB safari one...

Im trying to find the toyota part number for the piece I need... but ill search for it.. unless someone knows it by heart...
Old 01-02-2004, 08:51 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Contact 44runner on the site here.
He has the # for ya.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

Ducky,

You know what they say about guys who put a snorkel on their vehicle- they're usually trying to compensate for the size of their.....
Old 01-02-2004, 12:43 PM

4 wheel parts performance will beat any price on any item the carry. The snorkle is not on the website, but they carry the full line of ARB products. They are the Walmart of 4wd parts. Don't forget touch up paint fot the 7 holes you have to drill. Power antenna is the main problem. I cut my antenna motor off and left the chrome antenna and mount. I don't care cause I play MP3s in my truck.
4 Wheel Parts

Last edited by Hyperlite; 01-02-2004 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:03 PM

seriously? my power antenna motor is in the way?

crapola...
Old 01-02-2004, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Ducky
seriously? my power antenna motor is in the way?

crapola...
I'm thinking...if you're this hardcore that you need a snorkel, your power antenna is not a high priority...but that's just me thinking again.

Cut it, add the whip, and move on

edit: ...and I mean that in the nicest your truck is better than mine, way

Last edited by bobzemuda; 01-02-2004 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:18 PM

It takes 2 minutes to remedy the power antenna situation.

THERE ARE NO COMPROMISES WITH THIS INSTALLATION!

I do have the Taco part number written down, but I am at my parent's house in Charlotte right now. I have posted this part number several times so try a search on here and on 4x4Wire. It shouldn't be too hard to find I don't think.

For the power antenna here is what you do:
-remove the antenna.
-cut the zip tie on the bottom that holds the wires to give you more slack for the reverse install
-bend the L shaped bracket on the antenna that bolts to the inner fender 180 degrees with a pair of pliars
-There is a notch in the bottom part of the piece that sandwichs the outter fender (where the antenna actually sticks out of the fender). Take a grinder and make an identical notch on the opposite side.
-now you can install the whole unit so the motor is on the "door" side of the antenna and not the "bumper" side. If you were looking down on the antenna in it original orientation, it is like you rotated it 180 degrees clockwise with the antenna itself as the axis of rotation.

This is VERY EASY TO DO. Not to mention this took me less than 5 minutes to complete right after the problem was discovered, as in figure out the solution AND execute it. There is no need to go without a power antenna and this is actually easier than installing a whip or *gasp* hacking the motor off...
Old 01-02-2004, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 44Runner
rotated it 180 degrees clockwise
Old 01-02-2004, 05:08 PM

Didn't even notice until you said it.... That is kinda comical.

Ducky, nice change on the avatar! Great looking runner you got there.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:52 PM

like others, i dont think i could cut a hole in my ride without wetting myself in the process.

.... but your plan sounds straight wicked.

my only concern... or question rather, is whether you get enough air during daily driving with the snorkel. I suppose you would for sure with the deckplate mod (but again, fear of cutting)... so without the deckplate mod and with a snorkel, does it deliver enough air?
Old 01-02-2004, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by GoudyMan
like others, i dont think i could cut a hole in my ride without wetting myself in the process.
.... but your plan sounds straight wicked.
my only concern... or question rather, is whether you get enough air during daily driving with the snorkel. I suppose you would for sure with the deckplate mod (but again, fear of cutting)... so without the deckplate mod and with a snorkel, does it deliver enough air?
It is actually better than stock due to the fact that it has ram air which is cooler and cleaner. The stock pulls air from the inside of the fender. I love the Deck Plate mod and usually wheel with it out(like the sound of the rev limiter) until I come to mud.
Bottom line if you are scared to cut a hole, then you are scared to submarine your 4Runner. Radio was my least concern because I would rather run my engine instead of my radio.

People with snorkles compensate for small lifts and deep holes (like yo momma)
Old 01-02-2004, 07:09 PM

oh yea, you don't need a snorkle till you perminently stain your headlights with mud like mine
Old 01-02-2004, 07:09 PM

... wetting myself??? naw... not with my handy rubber pants...

no im VERY reluctant to cut a hole... but really... if your willing to take your rig 4x4ing... and know that you can get dent's by doing so... whats a little hole going to do?

but really... if your willing to take your rig 4x4ing... and know that you can get dent's by doing so... whats a little hole going to do?

.... I keep telling myself... lol...

< GoudyMan > Why would it not be enough air... enough air for what? its to my knowledge just extending the air intake tube higher...
Old 01-02-2004, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by RTdawgs
The direction of the bend jack-ass. I thought it would help some...
Old 01-09-2004, 03:09 PM

i suppose i did not make myself clear here....

if i were NOT to do the deckplate mod... but to do a snorkel... then would this starve the engine of air???

also.... i would just be a bit nervous cutting a whole in the sheetmetal myself..... although, i am sure others are confident in their skills and would have no problem.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:16 PM

Goudyman...

From what I hear they have a pretty good template to show you where to drill... but im with you here... but like I said before if your willing to take your rig offroad and get pinstriping and all, drilling shouldnt be that bad...

As far as the snorkel itself... im still confused... Im running w/o the deckplate on the new airbox (I was in an accident and havent redone the mod yet on the new box) and its not starving, most ppl dont have the deckplate and are fine... just extending your intake to the outside of your vehicle shouldnt starve your engine. in fact you might get more air... kinda like ram air...
Old 01-09-2004, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
everything that I have read or herd says that a good snorkel puts air induction on par with a FIPK. Not only is the cooler air outside the engine compartment better, the faster you go, the more air gets crammed down that tube, like a ram jet. Snorkels also increse airfilter interval times because the air is cleaner up there too. If my 4x4 did not come with a FIPK on it allready, I would do the snorkel mod and run it with a drop in K+N or one of those new Fram AIR HOG air filters.

Quick Reply: Ok to get Snorkel...