Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

OH so you DO have to do maintainance on a Toyota!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OH so you DO have to do maintainance on a Toyota!?!

best 6 dollars i've spent on the truck yet.
I got new spark plugs today (Auto-lite from O'rieleys ...spelling)
anyhow I would have gone with stock plugs had the dealership been open on Easter.

I have a 2001 2.4L tacoma with 58,500 on it and it had been getting harder and harder to start and been running really rough at idle. Switched out the plugs and it runs like a dream now. (gapped at .043 by the way....that was what I read to do on here/ right or wrong?)

Anyhow its the first time i've changed the plugs since i've owned it and it was more of an ordeal than I was expecting. I got it all put back together and then cranked it up and it wouldn't stay running it sounded like it was missing (wooops forgot to hook back up the wires on the air intake) Then I re-cranked it back up....not missing anymore but the check engine light was on
took the doo-hickey that I just plugged the wires back in to and blew in to it and shook it (re-assembled) and poof!! no more check engine light.

I like to use as many technical terms as I can when talking about car repair.
sorry so long and thanks for reading.

So to sum up:

1. what is that thing I forgot to plug back in?
2. how much do wires cost?/do I need them at 60k?
3. and is .043 correct.....book said .031, but then here said .043
Old 04-16-2006, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by andyf80
best 6 dollars i've spent on the truck yet.
I got new spark plugs today (Auto-lite from O'rieleys ...spelling)
anyhow I would have gone with stock plugs had the dealership been open on Easter.

I have a 2001 2.4L tacoma with 58,500 on it and it had been getting harder and harder to start and been running really rough at idle. Switched out the plugs and it runs like a dream now. (gapped at .043 by the way....that was what I read to do on here/ right or wrong?)

Anyhow its the first time i've changed the plugs since i've owned it and it was more of an ordeal than I was expecting. I got it all put back together and then cranked it up and it wouldn't stay running it sounded like it was missing (wooops forgot to hook back up the wires on the air intake) Then I re-cranked it back up....not missing anymore but the check engine light was on
took the doo-hickey that I just plugged the wires back in to and blew in to it and shook it (re-assembled) and poof!! no more check engine light.

I like to use as many technical terms as I can when talking about car repair.
sorry so long and thanks for reading.

So to sum up:

1. what is that thing I forgot to plug back in?
2. how much do wires cost?/do I need them at 60k?
3. and is .043 correct.....book said .031, but then here said .043

Odd. I did my plugs today. Luckily Home Depot was open so I could get a 10" extension. Poor bastards -- It's EASTER.

Anyways... Gap of .043 is correct. Both 2.4 and 2.7. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the V6 is .031...

Did you clean the throttle body while you were under there? I really helped the response... Butterfly was a little sticky.

Pretty sure its the MAF you forgot to plug in. I did the exact same thing. Got in, started it, high idle then leveled with CEL. So I shut it off. Restart, same thing, but it stalled. CEL still. Smiled and said YES because i remembered about the sensor, plugged it in, disconnected the batt cable, and presto.

Kinda strange you decribed exactly what I did today...

Mark
Old 04-16-2006, 04:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes change those wires too and while you are at it, have you changed the oil lately?
Old 04-16-2006, 04:31 PM
Contributing Member

You guys need to me more specific about the engine you are using, because every engine has different gap specs. But here are specs for some of the engines:

5VZ-FE 3.4L V6: 0.043 inch
3VZ-E 3.0L V6: 0.031 inch

Those two I am sure of, and I am pretty confident that the 3RZ-E (2.7L), 2RZ-E (2.4L) are also 0.031 inch. Don't know about the 22RE.

And just to make you feel better, I did the same thing with the "wire doo-hikey". That's actually the power/data source for the MAF and the truck really won't run without it giving the ECU data. In my case, it just ran like crap and kept shutting down. After a lot of pants crapping on my part, I figured out what I did wrong and after a while the CEL that came on turned off. Then, I used an OBD-II scanner to delete the stored code so that it doesn't confuse me later.

Spark plug wires are supposed to be checked every 30,000 miles but they will usually last (OEM) for over 120,000 miles. You can search the forum to find the correct procedure to check them (or look in a manual). I just ordered a new set for $45 from Northbridge Toyota (search term: "25% off"). Read the thread associated with that.

Even though my engine runs like a champ with 127,000 mile wires I am pretty sure they are worn out and I will get some performance back when I replace them.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Paul H.
Yes change those wires too and while you are at it, have you changed the oil lately?
Toyota's need oil changes? Whoa

:pat:
Old 04-16-2006, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I just did some work on my girlfriends 3.4L 4x4 5spd '96 4Runner. The vehicle has 141,500 miles on it and has always run tip top with no problems 20+ mpg. The car just developed a misfired while accelerating so I changed out her plugs and wires for the first time ever! Also, did her timing belt and water pump for the first time ever! Crazy girls man, total cost in parts was $208.00, not too bad.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:51 PM
Banned

Meh, I wish my yota didnt need work. I just bought mine and the now the clutch is going out and the transfer case is about to need some surious work (only 76k miles!). Luckily the previous owner had an extended warranty.

Last edited by jwbehm; 04-16-2006 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:07 AM

Thank you guys for the replys....
I am religious about changing my oil right at 3k so the maintainance statement was kind of a joke. And yes it was the MAF sensor I forgot to plug in....
I didn't clean the throttle body while I was under there...It was hotter than two rats yesterday here in Texas so I was just doing the bare minimum, but I did remember the anti-seize on the threads which I totally would have by-passed had I not read about it here. Even used a torque wrench to get the 15ft lbs right
Anyway thanks so much guys for putting up with a noo-b and for all the great info i've learned so far.