Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Official : "ITS ALIVE ! ! " thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 12:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Official : "ITS ALIVE ! ! " thread (supra swap)

check out my website, the 4runner breathed for the first time in a year today. Its now officially SUPRACHARGED.

Theres a movie of the first 45 seconds of life, you need to check it out. Remember, dont kill my webspace account. Right click and "Save As" on the link for the movie.

edit: this movie has been taken down to save webspave for newer media. more updated things are availible later in this post and on my website

My Website

Last edited by NCSU-4runner; 04-04-2005 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:24 PM

That thing is mean sounding!
Old 01-05-2005, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

Sweet. Keep us posted on the progress. Sounds mean with no exhaust
Old 01-05-2005, 12:32 PM

you just had to make me cry didn't you!!!!!! you wanna buy me one????
Old 01-05-2005, 12:36 PM

Muhahahaha... now we have TWO Supra powered vehicles in the driveway...

and FOUR Forced Induction rides in the yard... woo hoo!
Old 01-05-2005, 12:37 PM
lee
Contributing Member

nice man, sounds great
Old 01-05-2005, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

thanks for all the great comments, i'm about as happy as can be. If you listen close for the first 3-4 seconds of the movie you can hear the turbo, that was the only time the rev's got high enough for it to spool.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:32 PM

Location: Grew up in Santa Clarita/San Fernando Valley's...now in Washington State
Great work!!!!!! Now my girlfriend keeps pounding on me and asking "Why don't you do something like that??!!?" Sometimes she has no concept of money.....
Now if you'll excuse me, I need to find some buckets for the drool.....Congrats!
Old 01-05-2005, 02:12 PM
Contributing Member

its really not THAT expensive, costs less than a solid axle swap, it just takes a little more work. I have alot invested in it since i had to buy TWO motors (first one was a dud, im considering tearing it down and rebuilding it for another truck in the future) but i'd say $2000 invested minus whatever you sell your current motor/trans for and you're in buisness. If you get reasonable money for what you have thats only $1200-$1400 out of pocket.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:14 PM

I'll trade my Limited for the Supra4Runner? Sounds and looks good man! Can't wait for the timeslips!
Old 01-05-2005, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by NCSU-4runner
its really not THAT expensive, costs less than a solid axle swap, it just takes a little more work. I have alot invested in it since i had to buy TWO motors (first one was a dud, im considering tearing it down and rebuilding it for another truck in the future) but i'd say $2000 invested minus whatever you sell your current motor/trans for and you're in buisness. If you get reasonable money for what you have thats only $1200-$1400 out of pocket.
He left out the $$$ for labor...

In his case he just snuggles with me and we call it even....

You forget my roomie... not EVERYONE is as mechanically or electronically as inclined as us...

But... I digress... the damn thing is RUNNING!!!!
Old 01-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WolfpackTLC
He left out the $$$ for labor...

In his case he just snuggles with me and we call it even....

You forget my roomie... not EVERYONE is as mechanically or electronically as inclined as us...

But... I digress... the damn thing is RUNNING!!!!
Awsome bud, can't wait to come see it when the exhaust and driveshafts are installed. I want a ride in that bad boy, as long as you don't expect a cuddle payment from me for the ride.

Jason, if you remmeber Jeremy wasn't as inclined as many when yall started, but he had one heck of a baptism by fire with the SAS and 7MGTE swap at the same time, some guys have all the luck (if you call luck being w/o a truck and driving a pickle for over a year). Congrats J, keep me posted on the progress.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

dont hate on the pickle, it can do a burnout like you wouldnt believe besides. . . chicks dig minivans right ?
Old 01-05-2005, 04:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Goodamn I hate you. i'm jealous. That sounds sooooo frickin mean. I have dreams about 7MGTE's. Someday I will have one.

What would you say was the hardest part? What tranny did you use? Did you make the motor mounts? Did you have to lenthen or shorten the front or rear drievshafts?
Old 01-05-2005, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Adam F
Goodamn I hate you. i'm jealous. That sounds sooooo frickin mean. I have dreams about 7MGTE's. Someday I will have one.

What would you say was the hardest part? What tranny did you use? Did you make the motor mounts? Did you have to lenthen or shorten the front or rear drievshafts?
He's running a W56 trans. Yeah he needs driveshafts, I think it's just the front one for the time being. I'm pretty sure he had to have new motor mounts made. It's been such a long process I forget what J and I have talked about. I'll let J answer the rest of those ?s.

Last edited by Stump1883; 01-05-2005 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:51 PM

I'm gonna guess that the hardest part for him was...

Finding time for the both of us to work on it... Once we sat down and got it all worked out, we had it wired and running in a matter of a week or two...

Custom motor mounts were made, and we're going to have to get some much stronger ones made... I've let Jeremy drive my Supra.. and he has a HEAVY right foot... so... we're gonna have to beef it up.

No d-shafts as of yet... gotta get those made soon... and yes.. they're custom.

Hardest part? Getting all the parts... It's hard to find a GOOD motor.. the one we DID find was SHOT inside... go figure.

Second hardest? Wiring... but once you figure it out and have a good installer (moi'... tee hee hee) it's easy.

Thanks to Jeremy for being patient with me... I'm glad she's running.

Now we need about two days or so to get the engine bay in good order.. wire loom all the soldered up harnesses, recheck connections and timing... put in the Flex-a-lite fans, and all she needs is the fuel cell installed and the d-shafts and he's a rollin'!

Oh wait.... need to mock up piping for the I/C... and the intake... and exhaust... THEN it's pretty much street driveable... no.. .wait..ARGH...

Boost controller, fuel controller, ignition controller... and TUNING...

THEN it's done... but hey... it STARTS!

WOO HOO!!!

Last edited by WolfpackTLC; 01-05-2005 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah there is still a ton of work to be done, but getting it rebuilt after finding that cracked plate, mounted, and wired was the hard part. The rest depends on money, and finding the time to get the small stuff like done. The war seems far from over, but the major battle is WON.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

Old 01-05-2005, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Adam F

hardest part is probably mounting the motor and trans, and fitting the radiator with room for fans etc. An inline 6 is obviously longer than a V6. Wiring is pretty straightforward, while talking to Rob (the owner of supracharged.com) in his opinion, other than mounting the motor, a supra 7MGTE install is just as easy if not easier than a 3.4 swap, and this is coming from a guy that has done many installs of both. And with a supra motor more power is easier to obtain and for less money. Check out supracharged.com for lots of info, he even just completed a complete step by step wiring writeup for 2nd gen 3.0 ->7MGTE installs , its about as simple as it can get.

wiring info
misc supra install tech

Last edited by NCSU-4runner; 01-05-2005 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:24 PM

we should all just take our 3.0's back to toyota and tell them to do it they way they should have in the begining!!!

Quick Reply: Official : "ITS ALIVE ! ! " thread