Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

OEM vs Aftermarket CV Shaft Identification

Old 11-26-2011, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM vs Aftermarket CV Shaft Identification

Hello all,
Does anyone know how to tell the difference between an OEM CV shaft and an aftermarket CV shaft? I have a 1996 Tacoma with manual hubs Tundra coils and a 1" Sonoran Steel diff drop and I am need of boots as mine are torn. After some online investigating I realized there are a lot of mixed feelings on this matter. Some say just buy new CV shafts from Advance or O'Reilly's that way you have a lifetime guarantee on the boots. Why I am so apprehensive to buy new shafts and not bother with the labor involved with a boot replacement is that I read the OEM shafts are far superior to any aftermarket purchased at an auto parts store. To confuse me more some have even mentioned that NAPA has the best aftermarket CV shafts for the Tacoma. Can someone show me some definitive evidence via pictures of this difference? So getting back to my original question, how can I tell if I still have the original Shafts? If I do have the original shafts (and assuming they are still in good condition) who makes the best boots? Would it be Toyota OEM boots, All-Pro boots or North West Offroad boots? Thanks in advance for everyones input!
Old 11-26-2011, 11:09 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
If your shafts have full blue stickers, or remnants of, on the shaft between the boots, then they're OEM.

If you do get new shafts from a store, go with remanned shafts, not new. They're basically a stock shaft, cleaned up and rebooted. A NEW shaft generally uses inferior metals in the cups and in the manufacturing process of the splines that are splined into the hub and differential. Which simply makes them weaker.

If you simply reboot yours, just buy OEM boots. The Allpro boots aren't what you want at all. Do some searching about those.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:27 PM

Does anyone know the part number for the OEM boot kit? I assume there is a package to complete one whole side? (ie inner and outer boot with both types of grease) Or does every item have a seperate part number? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by black_taco
Does anyone know the part number for the OEM boot kit? I assume there is a package to complete one whole side? (ie inner and outer boot with both types of grease) Or does every item have a seperate part number? Thanks in advance!
Looks like 04438-04020 does both boots on one side with grease included assuming I guessed the specs of your rig correctly.

http://www.toyotapartseast.com/compo...-02-11946.html

http://www.utoyot8.com/Picture.aspx?...&ccode=&ppName=
Old 11-28-2011, 07:00 AM

Does anyone know if anyone has done a write up on the boot replacement to supplement the pdf files? I did not look incredibly close at the instructions but I assume the same steps are required regardless of ADD hubs or manual hubs, thoughts? Are the total lengths the same for ADD axles and manual locking hub axles? I thought someone mentioned that they are different parts, any truth?