Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

OEM Radio Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 07:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
OEM Radio Compatibility

I'm sure many here have seen the flurry of new OEM radios Toyota has been putting in some of the newer vehicles. Has anyone tried to do any of these into our 4Runners yet? Well I thought I would give it a go and found a 2005 Scion OEM radio. My question is related to connector compatibility.

I found a gr8 Scion radio that came out of a 2005. I tested it on a harness for a 97 4runner and the plugs fit just fine so for $65, it was a pretty easy decision to "upgrade" to a premium OEM deck. Not finding anything newer in the 4runner catagory in this yard to check connectors, I bought it thinking that it should be the same as in my '98 right? .... WRONG!

Needless to say I now have a fanatastic Pioneer Scion radio (SIRUS and satelite radio ready) that has a trick looking face, digital read out, CD, MP3, AM, FM but I can't hook it up. I didn't even consider taking the wiring plugs from the Scion as it fit in that wrecked 97, go figure. I have a stock OEM Toyota 3 disc cassette, AM/FM with the connecting cable amp from the CD portion of the deck in my truck now. Brackets swapped over perfect all holes lined up. Oh and one other thing I noticed when I pulled the old radio, it had two antennas plugging into it. One is smaller then the other, can't seem to figure that one out unless it has something to do with what looks to be a imbedded wire antenna in the rear cargo right window. Secondary, FM extenstion, Hmmmm, really a puzzlement.

So guys and gals, Looking for some suggestions/recommendsations, things you have tried radios that will fit the stock harness etc. Telling me to put an aftermarket radio in is not an option, not wanting to cut out the old harness plug unless absolutely necessary as I wish to be able to put the old one back later. Thanks guys
Old 10-27-2008, 08:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes there are 2 antenna lead ins-and yes one of them is embedded in side window rear.

As to the specifics of the wiring plugs/harness, that I don't know of but there have been other Scion head units put into the 3rd gens. I believe there is a thread over on T4R.org regarding the Scion head unit install.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLC97SR5 installed one in his '97 4Runner. May be of some help to you:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f96/...4runner-79403/
Old 10-27-2008, 12:50 PM

Thanks again Rock, but wrong type of radio. The one I wanted to put in came out of a 2005 Scion Xa. It is made by Pioneer and is model # DEH-M8047. I may just end up trying to get a schematic of the radio, determine which pin is which and wire up my own "harness". Don't have a plug, but might try to find one from a wrecking yard. The vehicle I got the radio out of is like 80 miles away (one way) so not too cost effective to drive down there and get the plugs srom it. Maybe from a yard a bit closer. I have searched this forum, and a few others recommended but they are all referring to different types/models of radio. It will turn up, just may have to wait till I can listen to my music.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a link to a site to buy a service manual pdf down load for that radio price is $4.95 it said.
http://www.smpcshop.com/DEH-M8037-DEH-M8047-p-3320.html

no joy on a free one... there are some US links that come up as well but they want $14+ for the DL

Last edited by aviator; 10-27-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:46 PM

The smaller of the antenna wires is from the rear window, you don't need it. Did the Scion have a separate amp? Also check http://www.ih8mud.com/ several people have put Scion headunits in their 80 series LCs. They may have some insight.

Paul
Old 10-27-2008, 07:12 PM

Well I feel a bit sheepish .... started looking at how to get this to match up and noted something that the more I looked at it the more it looked familiar. The radio in my 98 has a seperate amp ... I removed it and there they were, the two plug ins for the radio. Hooked them up and the radio seems to work fine. but I did note there was a clearance issue with the facia of the Scion radio. It will require a slight modification of the trim on the radio to get it to seat fully. So before I started cutting, I checked the clearance on the bezel as well. The radio is just slightly larger then the opening on the 4runner bezel. I am going to have to consider this further if I want to cut up a radio bezel to fit the Scion radio in the mount. I also started on the 99 bezel mod. I know it has been done by a few, but there isn't any really clear cut instruction on it so I hope to figure out some of the nuances and I will post results as I progress. Thanks again for some great ehlp guys and the links are very helpful. The manual will be a great help as well. More as it progesses
Old 10-27-2008, 07:47 PM

Id make sure the sat is gonna work. On most factory units there is still a seperate tuner box for the sat radio.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:16 AM

You beat me to it Ritzy.

I was going to ask if you had the external amp and were going off the plugs on that. It took me about 2 hours installing an amp onto the factory head unit to realize that.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:13 AM

Well after figuring out the problem with attaching the plugs to the radio, I still had an fitup issue with the Scion radio. The faceplate appears to be way bigger then my current radio, at least the faceplate for the radio will not totally fit into the opening unless I mod the very edges of the face plate which would not be a problem at all. Also the overall length of the faceplate is bigger then the opening in the radio bezel.

My options (besides just forgetting this radio upgrade) would be to mod the Scion edges to fit in the radio opening then widen the opening on the radio bezel. Don't really like those options as once you cut the bezel, no more use except for that radio. Mod the Scion faceplate to fit and you still have to do more to get it to fit. Sat down to ponder the question and got out the ole tape measure. Found out the radio itself is the same size/dimensions as the other Toyota radio. Checked the back side of the Scion face plate and the snap attachment points of the face plate are flush with the sides of the radio.

Decided that to make this fit, I would need to mod the face plate all the way back to the attachment edges of the faceplate to the radio. With this radio there would be a small issue with the faceplate ... I would need to remove it from the radio. Pop the 4 plastic clips holding it in place should be the ticket ... SHOULD be ... after getting the clips free which was no easy task in itself, I noted the faceplate has a electrical interface with the radio and a circuit board.

This circuit board and mount was then screwed to the faceplate. With the faceplate on a soft cloth looking at the back side, I removed 8 small phillips screws, which are identified with white triangles pointing to them and are numbered 1-8. Lift the circuit board out, but it will require some gentle prying with a small flat blade screw driver. Once the circuit board is out, I then removed all of the plastic control buttons and the CD dust shield then placed them on the circuit board so I could remember the order in which they go back into the faceplate.

My son who was helping me reminded me that my dremel tool was at his house, but as I told him as any good mechanic "Son, I have more then one." Having to deal with some rather thin tolerances I opted to use my razor thin xactor hobby saw blade and did some more measuring. This faceplate is constructed such that the faceplate extends quite a distance from the edges of the radio and has exturded support bracing on the iside of the faceplate. I was able to cut along the inside of the faceplate just flush with the outside edges of the attachment clips for the face plate that attach it to the radio chassis. This also ended up being solid plastic so once I cut through the reinforcement fins on the inside of the faceplate I was able to work around to the front where I could then using a straight edge, mark the location of the cut for the front of the face plate. This can be a bit tricky as you can start cutting into the solid portion of the front of the faceplate and then cutting from the front can miss the initial cut from the back side. Once again I was glad I was using the hobby saw blade. The end result was a smooth looking edge that needed to be trimmed and sanded smooth with fine grit sand paper to help give it a finished look.

I then pre-fitted the new facepalte to the radio bezel and noted that I need some further modification. The face plate was still about a 1/16th of an inch too large to fit in the rear of the bezel due to the fact the inside portion of the bezel has a ridge that goes around the entire opening of the bezel where the OEM radio faceplate fits right into. I ended up removing the ends by using the hobby saw and cutting theupward extending edges at the corners and then shaving the ends of this inner box to it was flush with the inside of the bezel leaving me with the top and bottom extended edges that would help to center the radio faceplate. Also, if I opted to go to another Toyota radio that was the same size as the original radio, I could still intall it without worrying about having gaps on the ends. It appears that this is the fix for my radio compatibility issues. I will take some pics of the finished face plate. I didn't have my camera available when I started this but it did turn out quite nice looking. More once its finished.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a good Dr Frankenstein story for Halloween

how nice....

dang Ritzy the stuff you come up with -I just shake my head the details you are willing to share so we all don't have to sweat out all of them.

dang nice of ya dude

You are going to have the most custom of customs Runners out there. So many little practical do dads and gee gaws, replacement mirrors and radio whew I am just amazed.