Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ODBii scan tools and software

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 05:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ODBii scan tools and software

Fixing to buy a scan tool to go with the laptop the wife just bought me, so I had to talk her into...

Anyway, just wondering which scan tool you guys use {or built yourself} and what software you use {whether you stuck with the one that came with the tool or are using one of the readily available open source programs}.

I was thinking of the one here:

www.obd-2.com for $132 (ISO iTran) shipped.

Thanks,

J.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Many folks here (including me) are running this one:

http://obddiagnostics.com/

$88 including shipping in the US.

I'm using the software that comes with it and am quite happy.

Another forum member recently brought up this reader: http://www.auterraweb.com/ and honestly, I've become intrigued with it.

But, it only runs on a Palm/Handspring/etc machine, so you may have to buy additional hardware as well. It's also pretty expensive. It's running for about $180-200 on eBay, plus the cost of a Palm and an interface cable.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by mpulver
I looked at that one a while back but what I don't like is that they say in the FAQ's that most other software won't work with it { http://obddiagnostics.com/FAQ.html#3 } and they don't have a dashboard. the dashboard isn't necessary for diagnostics, I know, but I think it's a cool bell/whistle.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:43 AM

In practice, I dunno how much the Open Source community is on top of these boxes, but there's always a niche out there.

And of course, yes, spinning dials on a dashboard are always cool.

btw, WATRD is running the OBD-2 system that you're looking at. Maybe he'll chime in and comment.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:58 AM
Contributing Member

looks like my dyslexia is back. In the title of the thread I meant OBD not ODB.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

I used this one about a year ago for a senior design project in college and was happy with it
Old 08-14-2003, 08:49 AM

Re: ODBii scan tools and software

Originally posted by keisur
Fixing to buy a scan tool to go with the laptop the wife just bought me, so I had to talk her into...

Anyway, just wondering which scan tool you guys use {or built yourself} and what software you use {whether you stuck with the one that came with the tool or are using one of the readily available open source programs}.

I was thinking of the one here:

www.obd-2.com for $132 (ISO iTran) shipped.

Thanks,

J.

i had the "ISO iTran" scanner and found that i had a few software bugs. i sold it and bought the BR-3. i like the BR-3 better, even though there are no dials.

creed

creed
Old 08-14-2003, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: ODBii scan tools and software

Originally posted by cstary
i had the "ISO iTran" scanner and found that i had a few software bugs. i sold it and bought the BR-3. i like the BR-3 better, even though there are no dials.

creed

creed
You didn't try any other software that is available for free over the internet with the ISO iTran?
Old 08-14-2003, 12:25 PM
Away

Originally posted by keisur
I looked at that one a while back but what I don't like is that they say in the FAQ's that most other software won't work with it { http://obddiagnostics.com/FAQ.html#3 } and they don't have a dashboard. the dashboard isn't necessary for diagnostics, I know, but I think it's a cool bell/whistle.
The BR-2/3's have the option to display up to 4 sensors with large digits, which is kind of like the dashboard feature you mentioned. They support ALL the OBDII protocols natively without having to pay extra for that. I have looked and looked at lots of OBDII scanners and just can't see how any of them are better than the BR-2, yet they want around twice as much for them...

I'm really glad Mark brought it here.

My .02
Dr. Z
Old 09-17-2003, 09:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone seen or used this setup?

It is often on ebay for about $180 (buy it now price)

http://www.autoenginuity.com/
Old 09-17-2003, 11:06 AM

Looks nice, but I don't see what it gives you for the additional $100 over the BR-3?

btw, If you like that analog gauge display, know that the BR-2/BR-3 now has it with the latest software release.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

How much detail can you get into as far as reading sensor data?

Vehicle speed, engine speed, engine load, coolant temp, oxy sensor, transmission data, TCC,??????
Old 09-17-2003, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by Yoda
How much detail can you get into as far as reading sensor data?

Vehicle speed, engine speed, engine load, coolant temp, oxy sensor, transmission data, TCC,??????
Pretty much what you see here:

http://obddiagnostics.com/ScrnShot/Winscreen.html

Basically, it's all the sensor data that the ODB II protocol provides. The gauge display and the "big digits" display is customizable for what values are shown there.

From what I see, the Auto Enginuity software is "crisper" in the sense that the graphs are prettier but I don't see where it's showing anything extra. It may be though - the screenshots from the OBDDiagnostics box don't really show everything either.

Now, there is one box that I've seen which is also giving Dyno type info (0-60, 1/4 mile, horsepower) which is being derived without using an accelerometer. i.e., it's computing horsepower using Speed and RPM from the ODB II interface (and other static data that you enter). reference: http://www.auterraweb.com/

That box is running on eBay for about $180-190 on eBay, and requires a Palm (or similar) handheld to work with. It looks interesting... and the company seems to be updating the software constantly.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

Another forum member recently brought up this reader: http://www.auterraweb.com/ and honestly, I've become intrigued with it.

But, it only runs on a Palm/Handspring/etc machine, so you may have to buy additional hardware as well. It's also pretty expensive. It's running for about $180-200 on eBay, plus the cost of a Palm and an interface cable.
Hey Guys....I think maybe that was me?

I can't reccomend the auterra enuf. Yes there are some extra expense of needing a palm but they are so dirt cheap now that I actually have one for the toolbox too! I have been consistently amazed at how much stuff you can access with it. Check out the link in my sig.

PS I certainly can't say anything bad about the other ones Mark and others are reccomending (in fact they are very functional for the price), but the PDA solution just has huge portability, functionality and coolness factors that some don't. You guys would epecially like the new engine dyno function they added in the latest release of their software. Way too cool!

You'd have to pry it from my cold dead hands to make me give mine up.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 09-17-2003 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:56 PM

Ive used both the OBD2 & Snap On scanners and by far I like the Snap On better. The OBD2 is boring to me. But it works and its within the wallets reach if thats all you can afford. I wish I still had access to the scanners. Switching careers sucks!
Old 09-17-2003, 05:49 PM

My BR-3 has worked great on both my 1998 and 1997 4runners.

Chris
Old 09-17-2003, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

BR-3 here!

I looked at the OBD-2 (ISO iTran) web site and liked what I saw but I wanted all the protocols and $182 vs. $88 shipped w/ALL the protocols. You can't beat it.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:13 PM

I have never worked on a Toyota sytem for codes. Will a 2nd gen put out codes? If so I may hop on that $88 scan tool gravy train.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by BigBadBlue
I have never worked on a Toyota sytem for codes. Will a 2nd gen put out codes? If so I may hop on that $88 scan tool gravy train.
Sorry BBB, but the ODB II system wasn't widely adopted until 1996. Participation was "optional" before that, and I'm not quite sure when the protocol and hardware spec was first defined.

To be sure though, look up under the dash on the drivers side for a connector that looks like this:

http://www.auterraweb.com/lib/auterr...iconnector.gif

It can be anywhere between the side wall and the center console. If it's there, it'll be pretty noticable, it's about 1 1/2" across and won't be hiding behind any magical door or console pull-out piece.

You may find another type of connector under there. If so, that's probably an ODB I interface, which does _not_ work like the ODB II interface.

Mark
Old 09-17-2003, 08:17 PM

:cry: its just not fair!:cry: I want a connector so I can check codes to. Marky has one why cant I?:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Quick Reply: ODBii scan tools and software