Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

OBD codes - Evaporative Emission problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBD codes - Evaporative Emission problems?

Hi all,

Okay so I FINALLY got my order from Harbor Freight and the much anticipated affordable OBD II code reader

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46030

I haven't made up my mind as to whether or not it works BUT it has done everything that it states it will - it tossed out the codes one at a time. Assuming that the codes it gave me are correct, I'll be posting an evaluation on it later.

So, on to my problems
I got the following things to look for:

440 - Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction
441 - Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow
446 - Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction

I'll be checking under the hood to see if I have any hoses loose but it seems like the problem is a little more involved than that?

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 02-27-2004, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

Dont you have an '02 dude? That should be covered under Toyota's latest emissions campaign. All that crap is obviously part of emission control. Hey, I didnt know you were having problems with your truck, what happened?
Old 02-27-2004, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

I had a CEL pop up a couple of weeks ago.
It got buried pretty quick

I'm just glad the code doesn't read the 02 sensor faulty!

When you say that it's covered under Toyota emissions campaign, what do you mean?
Old 02-27-2004, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

They just sent out a bunch of letters to many - if not all - Toyota owners stating that the emissions (or something like that) and all related parts now have extended coverage up to 100K (I think). There were a couple threads going about this a while back...I think they were the threads started by people with the "snoring" problem on their charcoal canister.

I got a letter in the mail for my 98 Taco I used to own...I will see if I can find it.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

oh man, that'd be COOL if it was still covered!!!

Wait, would my deckplate void that?
Old 02-27-2004, 12:58 PM
Contributing Member

No, it shouldn't. Just close it if you are worried.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:07 PM
Contributing Member

Oh man I hope this applies to my truck too!

That'd be awesome!
- Post CEL on YT
- Get suggestions on how to get it read
- Get referred to cheaper solution
- Find error
- Post error
- Might be covered under extended warranty?!?!?!?

SWEET!
Old 02-27-2004, 01:12 PM
Contributing Member

How many miles do you have Peter?
Old 02-27-2004, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

Just a little more than 54K
Old 02-27-2004, 01:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Oh man I hope this applies to my truck too!

That'd be awesome!
- Post CEL on YT
- Get suggestions on how to get it read
- Get referred to cheaper solution
- Find error
- Post error
- Might be covered under extended warranty?!?!?!?

SWEET!
This will help alot to understand the evap system in the truck:
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h62.pdf

I know that the snoring problem is covered but if the problem is different it may not be.
These codes can be anything from a gas cap to a vent back valve.
I would take it to the dealer anyway and see what they say they will do for you!
Old 02-27-2004, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

Hi all,

Okay so I FINALLY got my order from Harbor Freight and the much anticipated affordable OBD II code reader

I haven't made up my mind as to whether or not it works BUT it has done everything that it states it will - it tossed out the codes one at a time. Assuming that the codes it gave me are correct, I'll be posting an evaluation on it later.
I am also dying to see if that reader is worth recommending to others or not.
Make sure to do a writeup for all of us later.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

So, on to my problems
I got the following things to look for:

440 - Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction
441 - Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow
446 - Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction

I'll be checking under the hood to see if I have any hoses loose but it seems like the problem is a little more involved than that?

Anyone have any suggestions?
Just a heads up... I have seen that combination of codes on newer Toyota's a few times and they almost always come back to one thing. If you overfill your fuel tank, raw fuel backs up into the evap canister and it starts complaining via the CE light. If you "top off" your tank after the pump shuts off, I will bet you that is the culprit.

The fix is to run your tank down low, below half a tank and keep it there for a while. When you fill it up, don't fill it past three quarters for a couple of tanks and run it down low. That seems to give the evap system a chance to "dry out" and it will stop throwing those code combinations.

If you try it and it solves the problem, you will at least the sixth person I have seen with the same problem.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

I just called the dealer and the service guy said that the emissions thing didn't sound familiar. Depending on the components involved it might be covered under the 36K or 50K warranty. Both of which I don't fall under anymore

Thanks for the link Jamie, I'll be taking a close look at that.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WATRD
Just a heads up... I have seen that combination of codes on newer Toyota's a few times and they almost always come back to one thing. If you overfill your fuel tank, raw fuel backs up into the evap canister and it starts complaining via the CE light. If you "top off" your tank after the pump shuts off, I will bet you that is the culprit.

The fix is to run your tank down low, below half a tank and keep it there for a while. When you fill it up, don't fill it past three quarters for a couple of tanks and run it down low. That seems to give the evap system a chance to "dry out" and it will stop throwing those code combinations.

If you try it and it solves the problem, you will at least the sixth person I have seen with the same problem.
I've never heard of topping off being the problem....will need to file that away.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by WATRD

Whoa, I'll have to look into that! Unfortunately, I JUST filled the tank yesterday (yes I topped off )
I don't normally top off too much. Since I usually go debit, I'll just fill hear it stop and pump just once or twice more on the handle. I didn't know that little amount could cause a problem!

Sounds like I'll have to do some driving
Old 02-27-2004, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
I've never heard of topping off being the problem....will need to file that away.
I was getting the same codes until I chased it down and figured out is was the result of overfilling the main tank when I was pumping fuel over from the aux tank. I was able to duplicate it later by overfilling the main at the pump. When someone else complained of the same thing on another board, I shared my findings and they found that it fixed them as well. Since then, a half dozen or so folks have emailed me about the same problem and had the same result.

Dude may have another problem, but the symptoms sound eerily familiar
Old 02-27-2004, 01:31 PM
Contributing Member

oh pleasebefamiliarpleasebefamiliarpleasebefamiliar!! !!
Old 02-27-2004, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

Whoa, I'll have to look into that! Unfortunately, I JUST filled the tank yesterday (yes I topped off )
I don't normally top off too much. Since I usually go debit, I'll just fill hear it stop and pump just once or twice more on the handle. I didn't know that little amount could cause a problem!

Sounds like I'll have to do some driving
These tanks are really touchy about topping off. If you look at where the evap line enters the system, if the fuel is backing up into the filler neck, the inlet for the evap system is already "under water".

Give it a shot. Best case, it solves your problem at no cost to you. Worst case, you are no worse off than you are now.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:47 PM
Contributing Member

I'll definitely be giving this a shot! Strange how it would appear now though... I've been topping off almost everytime I've filled up for the last 54K.

I guess it's just slowly been adding up.
I should pay more attention to all those signs. Maybe I should start turning off my cel phone before I roll into the station. I might spontaneously combust or something!
Old 02-27-2004, 02:01 PM
Contributing Member

I'll definitely be giving this a shot! Strange how it would appear now though... I've been topping off almost everytime I've filled up for the last 54K.

I guess it's just slowly been adding up.
I should pay more attention to all those signs. Maybe I should start turning off my cel phone before I roll into the station. I might spontaneously combust or something!
I didn't see it until about 40,000 miles either. My guess would be that the medium becomes saturated and stays that way. Who knows. Just so the CE light goes out and stays out, right?

Quick Reply: OBD codes - Evaporative Emission problems?