Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

O2 Update + Whole new problem...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 05:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question O2 Update + Whole new problem...

So I fixed the O2 by finding a skinned up wire and fixing it. We pulled the sensor and cleaned it with carb cleaner and stuck it back in. Engine light was still on so I disconnected the battery to clear the code. After that all was well... for about 20 miles. Then the stupid light is back on and it is running like crap again. So I still have a problem there.... Something is tripping my O2 Sensor.

New problem:
I'm comming to work this morning and after about a 30 min drive, I stop at a store around the corner from work. Get back in the car and it wont start. It acts like a dead battery, but not realy. It reads a possitive charge on the volt meter.
What happens:
I turn the key and get a "craaaaaaank.....craaaaaaaaaaaaaaank..." then a click and sometimes a series of clicks (like a starter without enough juice). It has apperently trigered my alarm now as well. This happens when there is a total break in power.

Who wants to take a jab at this one? I'm going to try and get the battery tested at lunch, but it did not seem like any battery failure I have experienced before.

Last edited by TRunner; 03-15-2004 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:44 AM

Do a voltage drop test on the power lead going to your starter. If that checks out do a load test on your battery.

Gadget
Old 03-15-2004, 05:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gadget
Do a voltage drop test on the power lead going to your starter. If that checks out do a load test on your battery.

Gadget
So you are thinking starter maybe?
Old 03-15-2004, 05:57 AM

No, I am thinking you need to do a voltage drop test on the power lead going to the starter. If that checks out then do a load test on the battery.

Gadget
Old 03-15-2004, 06:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gadget
No, I am thinking you need to do a voltage drop test on the power lead going to the starter. If that checks out then do a load test on the battery.

Gadget

OK. What does that do?

Don't worry, you can call me stupid....
Old 03-15-2004, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TRunner
I turn the key and get a "craaaaaaank.....craaaaaaaaaaaaaaank..." then a click and sometimes a series of clicks (like a starter without enough juice). It has apperently trigered my alarm now as well. This happens when there is a total break in power.
Sounds like you battery connections are loose or dirty. If you have someone with you have them twist the battery terminals when you are try to start it and see if it will start then. That has happened to me more times then I can count.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by maherj
Sounds like you battery connections are loose or dirty. If you have someone with you have them twist the battery terminals when you are try to start it and see if it will start then. That has happened to me more times then I can count.
I somewhat checked that, but I never did lose power to the truck. It just seemed week. I also noticed that it is a bit tougher to start after a long drive. Wouldn't a battery going bad be opposite from that?
Old 03-15-2004, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I somewhat checked that, but I never did lose power to the truck. It just seemed week. I also noticed that it is a bit tougher to start after a long drive. Wouldn't a battery going bad be opposite from that?
Your alternator might be on its last legs. And how do you check that, you say?

Last edited by Churnd; 03-15-2004 at 07:07 AM.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Churnd
Your alternator might be on its last legs. And how do you check that, you say?
I gotcha!!!! In fact, I would believe that. Would that make for dimming lights when I turn on my turn signal, or use my power windows?
Old 03-15-2004, 10:53 AM
Banned

AutoZone diagnostic: ˟˟˟˟ty Battery

It almost took a full charge and then got booted. We then popped in a Duralast Gold and tested the alternator.

So now I just need to figure out why my engine light code 25 keeps coming on and why my truck runs like carp.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:22 PM

AutoZone diagnostic: ˟˟˟˟ty Battery

It almost took a full charge and then got booted. We then popped in a Duralast Gold and tested the alternator.

So now I just need to figure out why my engine light code 25 keeps coming on and why my truck runs like carp.
Hey man, I have the same rig as you and cant figure out what the heck has been going on with mine either. Until I read this...https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...899#post289899

check it out. Hope it helps.