Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

O/D off and ECT Pwr not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O/D off and ECT Pwr not working

I have recently purchased a 99 4x4 4runner. I'm trying to work out a few bugs. One is it appears that my O/D off button as well as my ECT button are not working. The lights come on but the truck shifts at the usual RPMs and also will shift into O/D. This did work originally.

I do a little driving in the Ozark mountains carrying some camping/fishing gear. I must have a way to keep this thing out of O/D.

I plan to go buy the service manuals soon, however, was wondering if anyone out there could give me a primer on how those features work, or they related and is there anything simple I could check.

Thanks
Saundelt
Old 04-06-2004, 05:18 PM

The ECT is very subtle most noticible when your towing
Old 04-08-2004, 02:22 AM
Contributing Member

ECT is a bit subtle. Sometimes i turn it off and I'll only notice when accelerating up a hill and it seems to shift just a bit too early.
O/D is easy to check, go 60 and hit the button, RPMs will jump.

The whole thing just takes a little get to know ya time.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

I would test both O/D and ECT without towing...ECT will be very subtle when towing. On my 2nd gen if I have ECT on it usually goes about 1k higher on the tach. O/D is VERY noticeable, as Mossback said, go about 55-65 on the highway and turn it "off" and the RPM's should shoot up. If nothing happens than its definately not working...

My pennies as always!

Fink
Old 04-08-2004, 06:29 PM

When going 25 MPH (no more, no less) and if I press the ECT button, I can definitely feel a difference. Its if I were accelerating more when really I am not. All I am doing is pressing the ECT button. Feels nice.

I experience the same when going 55 MPH and hitting the ECT button.

Can't remember others.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:00 PM

Thanks for your input, however, I already know that neither of these features are working. What I'm wondering is what are the electronics and mechanics behind them.

The truck always shifts to O/D with button on or off. The ECT button has absolutely no effect. It used to work, I know what it feels like.

Thanks anyway for your replies. I'll try to be less wordy in my questions next time.

Originally Posted by saundelt
I have recently purchased a 99 4x4 4runner. I'm trying to work out a few bugs. One is it appears that my O/D off button as well as my ECT button are not working. The lights come on but the truck shifts at the usual RPMs and also will shift into O/D. This did work originally.

I do a little driving in the Ozark mountains carrying some camping/fishing gear. I must have a way to keep this thing out of O/D.

I plan to go buy the service manuals soon, however, was wondering if anyone out there could give me a primer on how those features work, or they related and is there anything simple I could check.

Thanks
Saundelt
Old 04-09-2004, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by saundelt
Thanks for your input, however, I already know that neither of these features are working. What I'm wondering is what are the electronics and mechanics behind them.

The truck always shifts to O/D with button on or off. The ECT button has absolutely no effect. It used to work, I know what it feels like.

Thanks anyway for your replies. I'll try to be less wordy in my questions next time.
COULD BE? MAYBE? IN YOUR WIREING THAT GOES FROM YOUR O.D. SWITCH DOWN TO THE O.D. SOLINOID ON THE TRANNY.? CHECK IT OUT. HOPE THIS HELPS OUT.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yamaherb
COULD BE? MAYBE? IN YOUR WIREING THAT GOES FROM YOUR O.D. SWITCH DOWN TO THE O.D. SOLINOID ON THE TRANNY.? CHECK IT OUT. HOPE THIS HELPS OUT.
Looks like your caps lock solinoid is stuck

I'd say its time to find a wiring diagram and start checking voltages. Both of these switches talk to the computer. I really hate electrical problems and trying to trace wires is never fun. I do not envy you friend, but good luck.