Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Not such a big fan of Bilsteins in the back

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not such a big fan of Bilsteins in the back

Well this sort of bums me out, but perhaps the folks with BTDT in the forum can advise what I've missed. Vehicle is a '97 Ltd 4WD with 120k on it. I did the front damper replacement 2 weekends ago and it was spectacular improvement. At that time I still had my Gabriel AirRide shocks with about 50k on them in the back.

So this weekend I converted over to the Bilstein HD's in the rear and added AirLift 1000 bags inside the springs. Yes I need the extra carrying capacity when I hang the KLX650R off the hitch.

To me the Billies and Airlifts in the back are not as effective in controlling the ride. Operating pressures on the 1000's are 5-25psi. I've tried them at 10 and now 6psi but there wasn't a huge change. The truck is largely level when parked. It's almost as though I'm hitting the bump stops back there more often although just barely. Anyone find that Bilstein HD's in the back weren't up to snuff? Or have I imagined myself into a tizzy here.... I'd just revert back and test it myself but I had to cut the AirRide shafts to get them out.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Honestly when you say that you need load carrying capability I ask why you didn't get leafs to compensate and shocks to handle as usual?

The complication I believe is when it comes to using Shock Absorbers to do the work of
the Load Carrying Springs.

Custom fit leafs are really the only way to accomplish what you are trying to create.
I called Alcan and had them build me a set with 2.5" added lift and also 200lbs added spring capacity.

This does not increase the GVW but does allow you to utilize the trucks true potential!
Old 04-27-2009, 07:16 PM

airbags = air springs

97 Runners are coil springs, adding a 'leaf' in the rear isn't really an option.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:27 PM

I ran this same setup for over a year...billies and airlift on my rig...and I'm not sure of the complications you are having. I regularly had my aired up to 30 psi and the ride was stiff but it handled the load well. I towed and hauled camping gear often with this setup. The ride was harsh though so I upgraded once again to what what I'm currently running which is OME all the way around and the ride is 10x better.

As for your situation...I'd say air those puppies up more...oh and please tell me you used the factory bumpstops and not the provided "puck" style bumpstop provided with the airlift....?
Old 04-27-2009, 09:18 PM

Are the rear springs original? If so, you need more pressure in the bags. I would recommend replacing the springs for daily driving & using the air bags for higher loads.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:24 AM

Uh, well I did use the big black pucks located in between the top of the airbag and the upper spring perch. My understanding was this was to prevent the airbag from pushing through the spring perch opening. I left the axel bump stops in place and original.

Basically I ended up with this setup after chickening out from doing the Sonoran steel setup. I've run Bilstein dampers in other cars for years and am very satisfied with the job they do in damping, and yes I did understand that the load is supported by the spring but oscilations are muted by the dampers.

So if I got a wild-hair up my backside, would OME springs be usable with the brand spanking new billies, or did I just hose myself because the damper's length cannot accomodate the higher effective static position of an OME spring? Oh and which OME springs F&R?
Old 04-28-2009, 08:38 AM

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/ome4runner.htm
Old 04-28-2009, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IAS Edlebrooks are a great shock......Check them out. They are soft when normal driving is needed and then stiffen up as ride requires.....it wont help with initial load capability but maybe with sway......
Old 04-28-2009, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by quattro
Uh, well I did use the big black pucks located in between the top of the airbag and the upper spring perch. My understanding was this was to prevent the airbag from pushing through the spring perch opening. I left the axel bump stops in place and original.

Basically I ended up with this setup after chickening out from doing the Sonoran steel setup. I've run Bilstein dampers in other cars for years and am very satisfied with the job they do in damping, and yes I did understand that the load is supported by the spring but oscilations are muted by the dampers.

So if I got a wild-hair up my backside, would OME springs be usable with the brand spanking new billies, or did I just hose myself because the damper's length cannot accomodate the higher effective static position of an OME spring? Oh and which OME springs F&R?
I would try and find the regular cone style bumpstops found on some earlier 3 gens. The cone style has a hole in the center for the airline to run through. I ran the puck for a few months and found that any bumps that i hit in the road would cause the body of the truck to lift up off the springs and then slam down on this puck creating a very annoying "bang" every bump I hit. The cone style will not allow this to happen and will create suffiecient space, you may have to use a hack saw on the cone if its a little too long.

I now run my HD Billies with my complete OME set-up with no issues. You shouldhave no issues.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:52 PM

if you get that thing up your rear! You really do not want to get the Dakars that they sell with an OME kit they are made to about the same specs as the stock leafs were.
Only out of better steal!

I really highly suggest you call Alcan in Colorado and have them make you a set
that will meet your needs!

Otherwise you will end up in a similar position! trying to compensate with shocks.
it will be a little more money. But you will be that much more satisfied!

Go with OME's shocks all the way around on the front of your runner, unless you intend to get a custom bumper with winch. I would probably go with their medium spring and medium shock! also the medium shock on the rear.
Have Alcan make a leaf with 2.5" added lift and 200lbs weight capacity "2in for level ride" and be set!

Last edited by eddieleephd; 04-28-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by eddieleephd
if you get that thing up your rear! You really do not want to get the Dakars that they sell with an OME kit they are made to about the same specs as the stock leafs were.
Only out of better steal!

I really highly suggest you call Alcan in Colorado and have them make you a set
that will meet your needs!

Otherwise you will end up in a similar position! trying to compensate with shocks.
it will be a little more money. But you will be that much more satisfied!

Go with OME's shocks all the way around on the front of your runner, unless you intend to get a custom bumper with winch. I would probably go with their medium spring and medium shock! also the medium shock on the rear.
Have Alcan make a leaf with 2.5" added lift and 200lbs weight capacity "2in for level ride" and be set!
You're an imbecile, cease existing.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:25 AM

I have the all tundra lift with edlebrocks IAS and they carry the load nicely. Those shocks really do adapt wheel to road and sway conditiones
Old 04-29-2009, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mic09dcsm
You're an imbecile, cease existing.
Your RIGHT I SHOULD CEASE TO EXIST BECAUSE I TOTALLY FORGOT IT WAS A 4RUNNER NOT TACO!
But then I couldn't make you so damn upset like the ass you are
Old 04-29-2009, 01:09 PM

Appologies to all for the apparent bitch-slap-o'rama that seems to be happening on this thread; the blame is mine for not be explicit to the 4Rnr in the subject title.

To the two knuckleheads bickering - knock it off.

Skrillah - OK I get now why you were asking the question. That's for the advice - frankly I did not know that the pre-'97 models had connical bump stops housed from within the coil windings. Anyway I suspect I'll order up the OME springs at a later date once I'm done converting my '84 UrQuattro over to coil-overs and swapping in the monster motor. I'm sticking with the only 1 vehicle under the knife rule.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by quattro
Appologies to all for the apparent bitch-slap-o'rama that seems to be happening on this thread; the blame is mine for not be explicit to the 4Rnr in the subject title.

To the two knuckleheads bickering - knock it off.
I do apologize!

I still say medium on front, but think heavy springs on back with medium shocks.

Good luck have fun!
PHD
Old 04-29-2009, 07:55 PM

Conical bumpstops...yeah thats the name...I couldn't think of them. Anyways, yeah I got mine from some dude on here a few years back cause he was parting his out. I paid like 25 bucks for them, I would highly recommend finding some of them but perhaps you will have better luck than I did in regard to clunking.

It drove me absolutely insane, so they had to go. I ran my airbags for about 2 years before one of them formed a hole and didn't hold air any longer. You could probably even get by without having any bumpstops in the coil, but if you compress the spring all the way down then yes there is chance of ruining it.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:53 AM
Contributing Member

I get messed up thinking 4Runner when someone's talking Tacoma too.