Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Not expecting this during a tune up...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Not expecting this during a tune up (Puking CVs)

So I decided to run through the basic tune up this weekend (plugs, wires, TB and MAF cleaning) because wires were factory and the I know the plugs haven't been done in the 75k i've had my runner (At 134k currently). And because I've been neglecting a CEL, for oh.. say the last year, I decided i'd check the front o2 sensor. Crawl under the truck to take a look and what do I see but this:

Needless to say, with no real noticable decrease in gas mileage over the last year the o2 sensor is no longer on top of my priority list. Not only the passeneger side but the driver side inner CV boots both (at what looks like the same time) decided to let go covering the under side of my truck in lovely gray grease.

So, I ductaped the CV boots back together, cleaned up the mess, finished the rest of my planned maintenance, and had a beer while shedding a tear that my possible subpar emissions will continue to be the downfall of this planet. (New axles to be ordered tomorrow).

Last edited by Whitdragn; 07-20-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OUCH. looks...grey. And you did not notice a change in anything at all when that happend?
Old 07-20-2008, 02:08 PM

Nope. Didn't notice a thing. (I do need to rotate and balance the tires though so any small vibration is masked by that and the BFG's). It hasn't rained here in a week or so and I hadn't crawled under the truck in a while. But my best guess is that they gave way sometime in the last 2 weeks. Grease was relatively debis free and so far no noticble noise coming from the CV joints while driving so i'm not really worried about limping it along for the next few weeks until I can get the new axles put in.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

Cv boot tears aren't that uncommon ... If you get new axles from an advance or auto zone they will tear the boots every 6 months, but you will get them replaced for free. Changing a cv axle isn't very bad plus a new one shouldn't cost more than $100
Old 07-20-2008, 02:48 PM

sucks, I hate finding stupid unexpected stuff.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:19 PM

NC, I know the boot tears aren't uncommon. I had a 2nd gen during highschool and college and I think I made it under the 1yr Toyota repair warranty 3 or 4 years running. But as Phil said it does suck finding them unexpectedly (particularily because I don't think they've seen anything worse than a gravel roads in quite awhile).

I was planning to get the new ones though Advance, but if they're going to have to be pulled to relace boots or axles every year (even if replaced free) that sounds like a royal PITA. Are they that bad if not wheeling much? I've read the write up on replacement; how long would be a good estimate on doing both the first time around?
Old 07-20-2008, 04:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
During a "routine" maintenance you should always give the truck a once over. It's better to find something wrong in your driveway then 100 miles from home.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:42 AM
Contributing Member

If you are using a stock jack and hand tools, probably 45 minutes per side. With the advance axles, you can get the whole cv axle replaced for free ... The cv boots they use are almost plastic and don't hold up well.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:27 AM

see thats the whole point on why i wont use advance auto. if they break every 6 months to a year then wtf is the point?? mine have 113k miles on them and they look great so far.. ill be going back to yota if i can afford it.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:34 PM

see thats the whole point on why i wont use advance auto. if they break every 6 months to a year then wtf is the point??
Agreed, which is where I now find myself in a dilema. I hate the thought of paying $400+ for the cv axles when I know I can get them for 1/3 to 1/2 of that with a lifetime warranty. However, no place near me keeps these things in stock so if the boots are as fragile as they sound i'm not looking forward to having to buy, replace and return a half axle more often than every few years.

Any thoughts on the stuff from NAPA (new around $100) holding up any better? (I'm stil also considering the OEM toyota axles but still debating if I want to trade in the old ones to recoup the core, which would be a must if I dropped the extra money.)
Old 07-21-2008, 12:40 PM

http://downeyoff-road.com/ChassisCom...riveTrain.html

If the CV's are still okay but just the boots are ripped, you could always replace them, maybe thats another option for yourself!

$15 bucks a boot
Old 07-21-2008, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 904_runner
http://downeyoff-road.com/ChassisCom...riveTrain.html

If the CV's are still okay but just the boots are ripped, you could always replace them, maybe thats another option for yourself!

$15 bucks a boot
that gray grease looks a lot like water got in there months ago and made some foam. I would go with new cv's entirely IMHO
Old 07-21-2008, 01:08 PM

Im not arguing, wasn't sure on the pic.

New CVS would be best, but i wasn't sure, just threw out an option.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:13 PM

i think that the grease turned gray from water on the road, i think the op had said it was rainy in his area recently. I too would just replace the boots unless there was damage to the actual cv joint.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:43 PM

i think that the grease turned gray from water on the road, i think the op had said it was rainy in his area recently. I too would just replace the boots unless there was damage to the actual cv joint.
Hadn't rained recently, but again no idea on when they went. I'd have guessed the grease would have been washed away a little more on the under carriage and fender wells if they went before the last rain. Grease was relatively clean but I didn't really think about water getting in at an earlier time. Does the grease get thinner and lighter overtime just from normal breakdown? Maybe my best bet is to just get the new Cardone axles from Advance on a budget and pick up new boots to rebuild the stockers if the joints look ok after tearing them apart. (This was my original plan, but was somewhat hesitant on the short life of the boots on the aftermarket axles ). This is my DD so I can't go longer than a weekend without it to pull the stockers, inspect and rebuild if ok all while still waiting on replacement boots.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
see thats the whole point on why i wont use advance auto. if they break every 6 months to a year then wtf is the point?? mine have 113k miles on them and they look great so far.. ill be going back to yota if i can afford it.
I usually break CV's pretty quickly when wheeling, so if it breaks every 6 months its not a problem. Plus I can change the CV's in 30 minutes on the trail, even shorter in a parking lot so it's not that big of a deal considering they're replaced for free.

If you don't like having to replace them so often, rebuild them with some good boots.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:30 PM

but new not reman.in otherwords stay away from advance.replaced 2 sets in one year
Old 07-22-2008, 05:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd just replace the boots, but, I am a cheap bastard...

The CV's will be fine...just clean them well.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Bought my truck new in 93, in 94 one boot blew and was replaced (under warranty). No problems since then, in 2000 while installing a front locker I replaced the boots with new OEM and they are still fine. I'd say go with new OEM boots and skip the cheapie boots and CVs.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by nc994run
I usually break CV's pretty quickly when wheeling, so if it breaks every 6 months its not a problem. Plus I can change the CV's in 30 minutes on the trail, even shorter in a parking lot so it's not that big of a deal considering they're replaced for free.

If you don't like having to replace them so often, rebuild them with some good boots.
dang you are the man then. you can take off the tire, take apart a brake assembly and pull out the shaft and put it all back in 30mins?? you live CHill huh? i might pay you to replace mine if need be lol.

Quick Reply: Not expecting this during a tune up...