Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this normal?

I just bought my Toyota Truck (94' Pickup) and it has the 4cyl 5spd manual.
When I am shifting, particualrly into 2nd and 3rd, when I push the clutch its like I have to wait for the engine to spin down, you can hear it, before I let out eh clutch. If I wait for this to happen then everything is smooth and fine, however if I shift quickly, which I'm used to, the car jumps when I come off the clutch, almost like I was dumping the clutch at 2500rpm or something. I assume this is because it hasnt spun down as I'm calling it. I am not on the gas either My question is, is this normal? Do I need to just take my time, let her spind down and go on my merry way?

The only car I have ever driven that is stick is my 1995 Firebird Formula and when you hit the clutch that sucker is dead!

Last edited by Formula51; 07-20-2004 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:16 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
If I understand you correctly, when you upshift the engine winds down too slowly to get a nice shift unless you do it r e a l s l o w ? Doesn't sound right at all, the 22RE and 5 sp were silky smooth (for anyone who doesn't know - the same engine/trans combo came in the early Celica.) My guess would be lube the heck out of the throttle cable, both ends, and the throttle return spring assembly on the throttle body. If you grab the throttle shaft on the throttle body and turn it (engine off eh?) and let it go, it should snap back. And the cable itself should move freely. Some silicone lube can make a world of difference.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:19 PM

I was kind of thinking that migh tbe it. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2004, 02:05 AM

Flamedx4: I lubed the throttle cable and that helped a little (it wasnt to bad), but I noticed while doing this that there is a spring loaded plunger that the throttle hits on the return, which slows the return to stop. What is this pieces function? Should I just remove it?
Old 07-25-2004, 03:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, don't remove it. But it sounds like it needs adjustment. One of the 22RE owners here can give you tips on adjusting it correctly.

Is this the original engine and clutch?
Old 07-25-2004, 03:53 AM

Yes it is all original with only 85,000 miles on it! Not sure if the clutch is original, it feels real nice and tight. I only paid $3900 for this puppy with almost new tires on it! Oh, and zero rust. I bought it from some Mexicans who couldnt speek any English, I had to have my Puerto Rican friend speak to them for me. When we called them on the phone to ask for their address cause we saw the truck from teh side of the road they wouldnt tell him, guess they thought he was immigration. So we took a crap shoot and drove back up there (2.5 hours one way) and got lucky and drove her home!!! Ok, I'm rambling, sorry.

Luckily they had only owner the car for a month or so, just had to air it out.

Last edited by Formula51; 07-25-2004 at 03:57 AM.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Formula51
Luckily they had only owner the car for a month or so, just had to air it out.
Careful how ya word things there son...I might have a good tan myself.

There are also heavier flywheels available for the 22RE. I think they are about 8lbs heavier...And some folks install them because they store more kinetic energy than the stock flywheel. The extra KE helps on takeoffs with larger tires but would also keep the engine from spinning down quickly.

Adjust the throttle damper first. If that doesn't take care of it, you may have yourself a heavier flywheel.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:00 AM

Thanks for the help. I didnt mean to offend you. I only have a problem with those minorities who come to our great country and dont learn English, well and the ones who leech off welfare too. You wouldnt go to France or Germany to live out the rest of your life and not learn the languge would you? I thought learning English was a requirement to live here, but that must not be enforced No offense was ment towards you, you obviously speak English.

"Careful how ya word things there son...I might have a good tan myself."

A man who cuts lawns for a living (and he did) stinks up a vehicle no matter what color his skin is.

Last edited by Formula51; 07-25-2004 at 05:02 AM.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:17 AM
Contributing Member

As far as I know, there is only 1 minority in America that is labeled, "Native". And to be truthful, they just immigrated here earlier than the rest of us. The ONLY thing that makes America great, is that this is the one place in all the world where people come with their own customs, beliefs, and culture to live, work and learn next to people of different cultures.

As far as poor, migrant Mexican nationals...They come here because of the opportunities...They take the jobs that Americans tend to not want...laboring in farm fields, cleaning houses, etc., and at wages that most Americans would consider insulting. In general, they get no welfare, no retirement, little healthcare, and only spotty education for their kids. But, it's better, in many cases, than what they came from...It's America.

You wanna pick strawberries?

So stop listening to Limbaugh...He doesn't live in the real world and only gets paid if he gets folks riled up...