Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Noob here

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noob here

Ok, I have an 89 Toyota Pick up (V6, 5Spd 4WD) with approximately 183,xxx miles on it. I just got an aftermarket a/c installed and noticed the temp gauge in the truck would move to the half way point(and hasn’t gone above this yet) if I sat with the truck running and the a/c off for about 15 or more mins. Normally (before a/c was installed and now if the truck is moving/not sitting still for more than 15 mins) the reading on temp gauge would be at a little above ¼. They installed the a/c condenser in-front of the radiator and I have one large fan for the radiator only. I am assuming the reason this is happening is because the a/c condenser is sitting in-front of the radiator and causing less air to flow through the radiator when the truck is not moving and when the truck does move the gauge returns to normal because air is circulating through the radiator again. Everything else works perfectly normal. What I am worried is when summer comes around and it starts to hit the 90’s and low 100’s and I run the a/c my truck will overheat especially if I am sitting in traffic or parked with the truck running and the a/c on. I haven’t contacted the A/C shop that installed the unit yet because I want to get some information and do some research before I do. I do have a 2 year warranty on the a/c unit and it was installed about 3 weeks ago. I talked to a service guy at a Toyota dealership about this and hey said that if I have one large fan this might be how my truck will operate but the place I had the a/c installed could add a fan for the a/c condenser to hopefully correct the issue with the fluctuating temp. Any thoughts on this or information regarding what I am experiencing before I contact the place that installed the a/c? I am also going to contact one or two more Toyota dealerships about this also. Thanks in advance.

I'm keeping a closer eye on my temp gauge now and noticed this morning it was moving up slightly while I was at stop light, with the a/c off, it wasn't very much just enough for me to barely notice. Any out there with some suggestions, information, comments, before I contact the shop that installed the unit?
Old 03-08-2005, 10:53 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
first welcome to the forum... second, i dont think i would worry too much about it right now, on my 4runner the temp gauge is at 1/2 all the time. you can get a bottle of like "Kewl Tow" and that will help if you are too worried about it, but i would wait till it gets hot here before you have them do any work on it. and third, let me know if you want someone to go wheelin with, maybe meet at Prairie City or something.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:01 AM

If it was moving up with the a/c off today, you are probably going to have a problem come summer time. It sounds like the condensor is blocking air flow. If you want to keep the a/c it may be time to upgrade your fan. I am using a flexalite black magic electric fan (FLX-165). It moves WAY more air than the stock belt driven clutch fan. A small pusher fan on your condensor should help too. It seems to me that the a/c shop should have added one during the install.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:15 PM

A/C can and do create engine cooling problems.....install a pusher fan that comes on when the ac is on the stock a/c comes with one.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:46 AM

A pusher fan, if I understand this correctly, would mount in-front of the a/c condenser and push air through the a/c condenser and radiator, please correct me if I am wrong. Since the pusher fan is infront of the a/c condenser, would there be any problems with debris, i.e. small rocks kicked up by other vehicles, leaves, large bugs, hitting the pusher fan and possibly breaking or damaging the fan? Any guess on what the typically price/range a pusher fan will cost? You guys had mentioned having the pusher fan turn on when the a/c is turned on, which would help cool down both the a/c condenser and radiator, but would it be more beneficial to have the pusher fan turn on when the radiator fan turns on? Just a thought, any opinions on this last questions?

I did a little test on my truck yesterday, had it sitting in the driveway for about 25-30 mins running first with out the a/c unit on for about 10-15 mins, and then with the a/c unit on for about 10-15 mins. I did this with the hood closed just to see if it would overheat just running while parked and it never got over the half way point. I was pretty glad about this but I also understand the engine was being revved up, like in normal driving, so I assume the engine would not get as hot.

Thanks again everybody for your help with this. As soon as I get this A/C thing taken care of and the PS I can look into lifting this puppy.

Last edited by idealconcepts; 03-09-2005 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:48 AM

Anybody??
Old 03-17-2005, 08:40 AM

Update: Well I took the truck back to the shop that installed the A/C. They ran it for about and hour and test drove it and they said the fluctuation was minor and that if it gets worse to bring it back in. They suggested to change the thermostat if it has been changed and to flush the radiator. I am going to change the thermostat and flush the system in the next month or so, I don't think the thermostat was ever changed by the previous owner. If this doesn't solve the problem and it keeps getting worse I am going to have them install a pusher/condensor fan.