Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Noise From Front Diff After Fluid Change?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise From Front Diff After Fluid Change?

OK, so a few weeks ago I changed out both diff fluids and transfer case fluid.

It all went well, and I have since checked to make sure fluid levels are good, no leaks, etc and all is well.

The problem is that I now feel a vibration of sorts when I first accelerate in the front area.

It feels like it is right in the floorboard of the drivers seat.

It goes away at high speeds and other than when I first accelerate, I don't notice any unusual noise or feel anything different. I checked to see if my skid plate was loose and it is really tight.

I can't figure it out. Anyone have any idea what this might be?
Old 01-11-2007, 05:53 AM

year make model? what kind of fluid did you use?
Old 01-11-2007, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by 19RUNNER86
year make model? what kind of fluid did you use?

whoops my bad. 2000 SR5 V6 auto with 125,000 mile son it. I used some basic limited slip diff fluid from napa.

I was going to change this fluid but I have a hard time beleiving that even the cheapest fluid would make it vibrate like that. It may break down sooner, but not this fast.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:03 AM
Contributing Member

Its pretty hard to mess up a fluid change in the diffs - more likely it is something unrelated. maybe the wheels out of balance?
Old 01-11-2007, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by GodwinAustin
Its pretty hard to mess up a fluid change in the diffs - more likely it is something unrelated. maybe the wheels out of balance?
Well I did rotate my tires but that was about a week after I did this change. I haven't done anything else to it as I'm not the most mechanically inclined. lol

I'm really at a loss as to what the heck it is, but it feels expensive.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:14 AM

yeah if your rr tires were out of balance you might not have known it but now in the front you may feel it. try to rebalance them then see whats up...
Old 01-11-2007, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by 19RUNNER86
yeah if your rr tires were out of balance you might not have known it but now in the front you may feel it. try to rebalance them then see whats up...
I did that 2 days ago. I took it to my local mechanic and had them balance my tires and they said it all looked good.

Could my brakes have something to do with this?

When we had a really cold spell about a month ago, for 2 days when I first started up my runner, and when I would back out of the drive, the brakes felt like they caught and I felt a "pop" of sorts like them breaking free. But since then no issues and the brakes work fine.

Not sure if they are related. I have checked for axle grease on my rims and found none.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:57 AM

Ok,

You state you used a cheap limited slip fluid...

... my question is why ??

The fluid spec for a 2000 Sr5 4WD is as follows :

Front Differential Fluid Hypoid Gear Oil API Grade GL-5
Oil Viscosity All Temperatures SAE 75w-90
Rear Differential Fluid Hypoid Gear Oil API Grade GL-5
Oil Viscosity Temperatures Above 0 deg F SAE 90w
Temperatuers Below 0 deg F SAE 80w or 80w-90

Limited Slip fluids have a friction modifier to help get the correct friction for the limited slip clutch plates to engage.

Perhaps you could start by changing to a good quality 75W-90 GL5 gear oil.

Regards

David

Last edited by nrgetic99; 01-11-2007 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:04 AM

good call david. you only pay for quality once.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by nrgetic99
Ok,

You state you used a cheap limited slip fluid...

... my question is why ??

The fluid spec for a 2000 Sr5 4WD is as follows :

Front Differential Fluid Hypoid Gear Oil API Grade GL-5
Oil Viscosity All Temperatures SAE 75w-90
Rear Differential Fluid Hypoid Gear Oil API Grade GL-5

Limited Slip fluids have a friction modifier to help get the correction friction for the limited slip clutch plates to engage.

Perhaps you could start by changing to a good quality 75W-90 GL5 gear oil.

Regards

David

P.S> In asking around, we have some experience here of folks having issues with using Limited Slip fluids with Torsten style diffs also... it actually prevents the correct lock up and the slipping leads to overheating and other associated problems. I cannot recall what diffs Toyota used on the 2000...do you have the electronic traction control ???

I hope is just your brakes...

David
Old 01-11-2007, 08:07 AM

ok so lets say I change my diff fluid to a higher quality one, what might be the issue with my brakes IF they are the problem?

I guess I just can't see the quality of the fluid causing the diff to immediatly make a buzzing noise. I may be wrong but it's just hard to imagine that even the cheapest of the cheap would do this instantly.

Am I wrong? Like I said I'm no mechanic so I could very well be way off base.

Thanks for all your replies guys, It's helping me find them problem.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by nrgetic99
P.S> In asking around, we have some experience here of folks having issues with using Limited Slip fluids with Torsten style diffs also... it actually prevents the correct lock up and the slipping leads to overheating and other associated problems. I cannot recall what diffs Toyota used on the 2000...do you have the electronic traction control ???

I hope is just your brakes...

David
As far as the electronic traction control, I don't think I do but I don't know. If this is a switch on my dash, then no I don't. If it's an automatic thing, I have no idea if I do or not. How would I find out?
Old 01-11-2007, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by wayneboard2
As far as the electronic traction control, I don't think I do but I don't know. If this is a switch on my dash, then no I don't. If it's an automatic thing, I have no idea if I do or not. How would I find out?

Lets hope someone else pitcthes in. Later model year 4runners use essentially and all electronic traction control and I am not sure if that changes the fluid requirements. I am not sure what year the change was made or if in fact, they switched to a torsten style diff.

As for the fluid question, unfortunately, your question as to why a fluid can make such a huge difference is the basis of why my job is so hard. I am in tech support for a supplier of the majority of major oil companies.

90% of field problems are mis application of fluids. In the reverse circumstance, putting the wrong fluid in a genuine limited slip diff (e.g. not an lsd fluid) will lead to immediate chatter, noise, vibration and harshness that can be felt inisde the cabin.

I am not saying this is the issue but its worth thinking about.

Here's a quick and simple fix... did you remove the skidplate to change the diff oil ???? If so, the skid plate is huge source of vibrations and if it is touching the diff now, you have effectively linked the drivetrain to the frame without any rubber dampers so you will get very nasty vibrations.

To find out, remove the skid plate and see if the problem goes away. If this is the fix, re-install the skid plate making sure it does not touch the diff. I had issues when I fitted my diff drop which led to a nasty vibration and harshess from the front of the truck. I re-installed with the correct spacers and bashed on the skid plate a little to get it to clear the diff and all was well.

I am not a mechanic but I have 30 years experience working on vehicles including 5 different 4WD Toyotas. That and I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night

Good luck and keep us posted

David

Last edited by nrgetic99; 01-11-2007 at 09:27 AM.