Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

no more coasting?!?

Old 10-03-2005, 05:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no more coasting?!?

OK, im starting to get fusturated with my rig. Ive hit the 200k mark and nothing was really wrong. Now, ive noticed that im not really coasting anymore. Everytime i get off the skinny, i begin to slow down immediately. Also, you know how when you are at a stop light(on level ground) and you lay off the brake, you begin to creap forward?? i no longer do that. anyone know why what is causing this? I know I have a lot of miles on her, maybe im just being too needy Also, whenever i use my ebrake, after i let the the pedal brake go, it slips back a little. Im not sure why this is. Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesnt do it. anyone else experience this? Ive tried tightening them(using the lazy mans method, going in reverse) ok, enough of my bs rant
Old 10-03-2005, 05:31 PM
Contributing Member

I would try taking off the front calipers and checking the pistons and making sure they aren't freezing up. I need to do the same to mine but I'm gonna change out cv's too so I'll get it all in one wack! Come down this weekend and we'll make a weekend wrench-a-thon out of it!
Old 10-03-2005, 05:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by callmej75
I would try taking off the front calipers and checking the pistons and making sure they aren't freezing up. I need to do the same to mine but I'm gonna change out cv's too so I'll get it all in one wack! Come down this weekend and we'll make a weekend wrench-a-thon out of it!
yea i remember looking at the pads and they wore funny. I put a bunch of lube on the pins? and stuck them back in. Im gonna have to double check to see whether or not i have any exams coming up. Ill definately let you know
Old 10-03-2005, 10:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jack up the front end (rear end too) and try spinning the wheels (tcase in neutral and tranny in neutral) see if there is resistance.

On my rig the ebrake lever on one of the rear wheels will stick and cause some drag. Just hit it with a hammer and it pops back (ok I need a rear brake job)

Last edited by Adam F; 10-03-2005 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:33 PM
Banned

sounds like binding in the rear ebrake or lack of lubrication or maintenance on parts
Old 10-04-2005, 05:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say either your front calipers have gone lazy, or your rear brakes are stuck closed. But with the milage and the fact that when you put on the e-brake and it drifts back a little I would say the front is where the problem is. I had to replace both front calipers because the pistons werefrozen and it wasn't worth the time to rebuild them as it is my DD.

I would go ahead and take off the rears while your at it, and clean up everything in there. Get all of the rust out and lube up all of the moving parts. If you don't have air tools with a sander/die grinder, a wire wheel in a drill works great, but wear a mask so you don't breath the dust.

Remember the bleeding sequence if you have to change the calipers. DR,PR,PF,DF,LSPV.

Going in reverse does not tighten our e-brake, pulling the cable in and out does.
After you get everything back together, there is an adjutment point for the e-brake in the mid point of the truck underneath. you can put more tension on the cable, watch the mechanism at the drum (drivers side). Pull the e brake and chock the wheels, Turn the adjuster until the mechanism at the drum starts to pull out, and back off just a little. This should make the e-brake cable tighter for you, to make sure both sides are being pulled evenly. Inside the drum is the star wheel that handles to pad adjustment and also the amount of e-brake. If you pull the handle repeatedly it will adjust the pad distance.

Last edited by PirateFins; 10-04-2005 at 05:23 AM.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:08 AM
Banned

brad- thanks for the info! ill definately have to take a look at it this weekend! I know going in reverse doesnt tighten up the ebrake, but pulling it up and down while in reverse does...from what ive read. thanks again guys
Old 10-04-2005, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Localmotion
brad- thanks for the info! ill definately have to take a look at it this weekend! I know going in reverse doesnt tighten up the ebrake, but pulling it up and down while in reverse does...from what ive read. thanks again guys
Bring it over and we will figure it out
Old 10-04-2005, 07:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
Bring it over and we will figure it out
definately!! Man i definately owe you something for helping my sorry ass out all the time!!!!
Old 10-04-2005, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

I adjusted my back brakes with a big screwdriver thru the access hole on the backside of the drum. Made a difference in stopping power but I still got something hanging on the front.