Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Nicks in ABS Ring

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nicks in ABS Ring

Hey,

I bent my rear axle during the winter and am preparing to get started replacing it tomorrow. I bought all the parts from Boch Toyota South and the bearing case looked like it was in a little rough shape (some small nicks and gouges). I was pissed but thought it might be alright.

Today I took the ABS ring out of the bag and noticed it's all nicked up; along the edges of the ridges and some nicks in the center of the ridges. I'm assuming this is going to trip up the ABS sensor, what do you guys think? Also, should I be concerned with the bearing case too?
Old 08-05-2015, 09:00 PM

well, I decided to email them anyway. Not worth the risk putting the ABS ring in and then having to take it all apart again. I'm just hoping they'll help me out because I bought all this a few months ago. Shoulda opened everything and checked it out when it got here, oh well.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
I think small knicks & scratches would go unnoticed by the ABS sensor. That said, you purchased new parts...

I've had my rear axle apart numerous time - most recently last weekend. The passenger side axle seal was once again letting oil through...

I followed DRCOFFEE's thinking and reversed the spacer ring (that the oil seal rides on). To ensure that the spacer ring was as far INBOARD as possible, I marked the tapered collar inside the axle housing with some yellow paint. Then I pressed the ring on to the axle shaft until it covered the polished section. Inserted axle into the housing, turned it, and it was obvious that the axle couldn't go all the way in. Pressed the ring on to the shaft a bit further and repeated the process 5 or six times until the paint mark was no longer disturbed.

This time I drove the oil seal all the way into its recess. With the spacer where I wanted it, I placed some bearing grease around it and then carefully inserted the axle through the new seal and all the way into the housing. Then I removed it and noted that the seal lip had wiped off the grease on half of the spacer ring. Perfect.

Hope that helps.

Andreas

Last edited by aowRS; 08-06-2015 at 03:45 AM.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:36 PM

Hey Andreas,

Thanks for the tip, I'm sure it will come in handy eventually, unfortunately. I replaced the seal a couple years ago and everything was fine. This is from slipping out during winter and bending the shaft.

Doesn't sound like Boch is going to do anything for me either. There are deep gouges all over it and they just won't assume responsibility because of a 30 day return policy. It's only been a little over 2 months and I placed a large order with them. I could destroy a part in an hour if I wanted to and they'd be happy to replace the part, as long as it hasn't been 30 days. It's a policy that should be reconsidered under certain situations, like when a $400+ order has been placed. They don't seem to care, though. So that's the last I'll deal with them. Apparently the owner's a billionaire, too. These two parts will probably bankrupt him, I'm sure.