Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

NGK --OR--Denso???

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NGK --OR--Denso???

I'm due for my first Taco plug change so I'm reading all the posts about people's experience with plugs and recommendations. I consistently seepeople recommending Denso OR NGK plugs. My manual and Hayes manual calls for NGK AND Denso plugs, 3 of each. Why? I feel that it is okay to use 6 identical plugs but why would Toyota build a vehicle that uses 2 plugs types from 2 manufacturers?
Old 04-10-2007, 04:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's been long debated but either will work fine as long as it is a dual electrode plug. Either brand will work fine, flip a coin if you want (I use Denso since that's what the dealer sells).
Old 04-10-2007, 05:06 PM

as long as they are dual electrode, and either ngk or denso, then it wont matter
Old 04-10-2007, 06:23 PM

But why produce a vehicle that ships with two different kinds of plugs in it? What was Toyota's reasoning behind this?

I'm going with NGK because they are closer than a dealership.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
It's been long debated but either will work fine as long as it is a dual electrode plug. Either brand will work fine, flip a coin if you want (I use Denso since that's what the dealer sells).
x2...
Old 04-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
....that is the question
Old 04-10-2007, 10:04 PM

Book ment one or the other, go with NGK
Old 04-11-2007, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner

ditto... if i am not mistaken denso are a lil cheaper too.. both are great plugs.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:07 AM

The books I have specifically state one brand for driver's side, the other for passenger. I cannot see the grammar confusion when specific locations for the plugs are mentioned. Does it have anything to do with the coilpacks?
Old 04-11-2007, 04:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nermalgod
The books I have specifically state one brand for driver's side, the other for passenger. I cannot see the grammar confusion when specific locations for the plugs are mentioned. Does it have anything to do with the coilpacks?
Do a quick search and you'll find countless threads debating the same thing you're asking about and multiple theories have been offered up as to why this was but nothing was ever confirmed to the best of my knowledge. If you go to the dealer and have your plugs changed, I guarantee you'll get all Denso or all NGK plugs when it's done not 3 and 3 of each. The point here is that whatever reason it came like that from the factory (and not all came like that either, some have come from the factory with all of one type of plug!) is irrelevant and that either has been proven to work just fine.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 04-11-2007 at 04:15 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:38 AM

Mine came from the factory with all Denso...
Old 04-11-2007, 04:45 AM

I have a theory on the half and half issue. From what I know of production line manufacturing, various components and sub asseblies are made and placed into the production run when needed. I think the RH and LH heads with different plugs must have been made at different times or by different shops within the system and had different plugs available to them that were supplied with the other parts to build the heads. Then the engine shop built engines and just slapped on heads as they came. No solid evidence on this but it is the only logical explaination I could come up with.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by chopitrakeit
I have a theory on the half and half issue. From what I know of production line manufacturing, various components and sub asseblies are made and placed into the production run when needed. I think the RH and LH heads with different plugs must have been made at different times or by different shops within the system and had different plugs available to them that were supplied with the other parts to build the heads. Then the engine shop built engines and just slapped on heads as they came. No solid evidence on this but it is the only logical explaination I could come up with.
Yep, that one has been mentioned before many, many times.
Serach and you'll find plenty of reading on the subject.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by chopitrakeit
I would mostly agree with this except that I'd expect the plugs to go in after the heads were on and the cam timing set. Anyway, I'm sure Toyota double sources components such as plugs and it is real easy to have a Denso box on one side of the production line and a box from NGK on the other. If they did this consistantly, it would also make it easier to see which supplier had an issue if there were ignition failures in the field.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:14 AM

or they could just have deals with both manufactures at the time.. ask them now what they put in them??
Old 04-11-2007, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

Mine also came from the factory all Denso.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:31 AM

Is it better to use these brands of plugs? When I swapped mine out last year the guy at autozone gave me pre-gapped platinum ones from bosch..just curious...thanks
Old 04-11-2007, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

Interesting, am I confused, or does NGK make plugs for Denso or vice versa. I was under the impression that the plugs both companies make for our vehicles were of the same construction..? I got that impression long before reading this. Can someone clarify?
Old 04-11-2007, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jdizzydub
Is it better to use these brands of plugs? When I swapped mine out last year the guy at autozone gave me pre-gapped platinum ones from bosch..just curious...thanks
DUDE ONLY DENSO OR NGK... DEFF NOT BOSCH.. THEY SUCK IN JAPANESE VEHICLES.. DO A SEARCH ON BOSCH PLUGS ON THIS SITE. YOU WILL SEE woops sorry for capping yo ass!! just go to a local dealership and get yourself some 20$ set of plugs either denso or ngk just make sure they have 2 tips on them not just one
Old 04-11-2007, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
DUDE ONLY DENSO OR NGK... DEFF NOT BOSCH.. THEY SUCK IN JAPANESE VEHICLES.. DO A SEARCH ON BOSCH PLUGS ON THIS SITE. YOU WILL SEE woops sorry for capping yo ass!! just go to a local dealership and get yourself some 20$ set of plugs either denso or ngk just make sure they have 2 tips on them not just one
A$% capping is cool for me, thanks. That was well before I found this site and I was just replacing everything I knew how for piece of mind when I first got my baby. I'm definately taking those peices of...out!! Thanks doood
James W.

Quick Reply: NGK --OR--Denso???