Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

newbie & some ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newbie & some ??

Howdy all, I have been lurking for a couple of months now and last w/e my 96 POS-10 left me stranded for the 4th and LAST time (dumped the clutch). So, after R/R the clutch, off to Scott Clark Toy in Charlotte (any thoughts on the stealship service dept). I am now the extremely happy owner of an '03 Tacoma TRD Off-road. 3.4 V6, auto (i know, don't go there), 2wd with rear locker (I really like that !), towing pack, all the goodies.
I do virtually all my maint, and thanx to y'all it doesn't look like I gotta take off the skid plate to change the oil.
Observations: The 3.4 is very rev-happy (prolly due to 24V and the ECT tranny) .
I like the auto in 'power' mode better ! I plan on Taking out the air box and taking out the sleeve that in one users words 'trys to suck the right headlight into the engine bay' lol... and put in a K&N. OKay my biggest question is, after reading over the maint schedule, which I can handle myself, but what/where the heck is a propeller shaft bolt and what are the torque specs for it ???
I haven't gotten a Haynes yet, I ALWAYS get one for my vehicles, but I know that engine has been around for awhile and are there any diffs in the 01-03 trucks. Oh, and is it just me or does this drive train have an awful lot of flex in it ? My gear stick is constantly moving back and forth with acceration and over the lil' bumps ??
Too wordy i know, but any thoughts will be welcome and I see me and this truck together for a long time !

Smith.
haven't done a sig yet !
Old 06-20-2003, 10:10 AM

All of the 3.4L 4Runners and Tacomas that I have driven do have some movement in the gear selector when going over bumps and such... that is normal. I guess that they fixed it on the 4L '03 4Runners because my new one does not do it.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member

Re: newbie & some ??

Originally posted by kps36

I haven't gotten a Haynes yet, I ALWAYS get one for my vehicles, but I know that engine has been around for awhile and are there any diffs in the 01-03 trucks. Oh, and is it just me or does this drive train have an awful lot of flex in it ? My gear stick is constantly moving back and forth with acceration and over the lil' bumps ??
Mine does that too.
Haven't had a problem with it though.

by the way, welcome!
Old 06-20-2003, 02:20 PM

Propeller shaft is part of the drivetrain, I thought on 4wd vehicles only...but I dunno. My auto 3.0 stick moves a lot under load, but nothing is wrong with it, I know that much.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't gotten a Haynes yet, I ALWAYS get one for my vehicles, but I know that engine has been around for awhile and are there any diffs in the 01-03 trucks.
Do yourself a favor and pay the bucks for the Toyota service manuals. Check ebay. I've purchased the Haynes, the cheap-o cd-roms from ebay (that say that its like the factory manual---its not), and finally bought the Toyota manuals. Let me just say again, don't waste your money on the other stuff and go w/ the real deal.

Oh, and is it just me or does this drive train have an awful lot of flex in it ? My gear stick is constantly moving back and forth with acceration and over the lil' bumps ??
Yes, it does. In fact when I purchased my very first 99 4Runner, it was so bad that I dropped it off at the dealer the next day and fought w/ them for over 3 weeks until they gave me my money back. There is a bit of flex yes, but mine was so excessive that it looked like it was going to pop into another gear. I would best describe it as a "rowing" shifter. My current 98 moves a little over the bumps but it doesn't row like my first 99 did.

Oh, welcome to the forum. You'll fit right in if you do your own work on your vehicle. Definitely check out the Tech section if you haven't already as I'm sure you know that there are alot of similarities between the 3rd gen 4runners and your Taco.

Bob