Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Newbie Help...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help...

Okay, my first post... I've always been a Honda (daily driver) and Ford (play toy) guy. But the Ford has been letting me down in the prerunner scene and some friends of mine have some nice Yota's that seem to be the way to go so I've bitten the bullet and decided to ditch the Ford and go Yota. Well, I've more then decided actually, I'm picking up a 1990 V6 4WD ext. Cab w/156K miles on it this Friday for $800. It's been stolen, stripped, and recovered which is why it's sooooo cheap. No hood, fenders, bed, seats, dash, hubs, or front third member. All of that is fine cause I was ripping out all that stuff except the diff and hubs and throughing it away anyways. I'll be doing all the fab (cage, mounting glass and seats, installing suspension) myself. My questions are not pertaining to that but more on info about the truck stock...

1st... The truck owner has a pink slip for a truck matching this one but because it has been stolen and recovered I want to make sure it's the same truck. I did a search for Vin # on this forum and found some info but not all. I'm looking for all the places I could find the Vin on the model described above. In my search I found dash (it's gone), door panel (scratched off), lower window (I'll check when I get it on Friday before I hand over the $$$), and firewall. My questions are, where exactly on the fire wall would the vin# be? Inside the cab or in the engine compartment? Is there anything on the frame or anywhere else?

2nd... I've done some reading and it seems that when running 33" tires 4.88 gears are the "hot" setup. Is this true for prerunning/high speed stuff? I've heard that the strongest 4.88 set for the rear can be found in one particular yota model stock. What model is that? Couldn't find it in a search...

3rd... I searched and was OVERWHELMED with the threads to read through for the answer to this question. If someone can maybe give me a more refined topic to search or the answer I'd appreciate it. The truck is missing the front diff. I've heard there are different models and sizes through out the years to pick from. What's the strongest or most recomended year/model to pull from and install in my '90 yota? Will my driveshaft work with your suggestion?

4th... I've read that the Aisian Hubs from Factory are the best by far and to not even deal with aftermarket. Is this true?

So far that's my questions that I havn't found answers from in searches. Sorry this is so long but I'd be stoked if you guys could help me out. I'm just starting the project litterally this Friday it comes home. I'm sure I'll have more in the future...

Thanks again!!!

Khris

Last edited by sirhk100; 06-17-2003 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-16-2003, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on the killer deal. I'll answer what questions I can.

2. 4.88's can be found on some automatic 4Runners or trucks that came stock with 31" tires. Finding this setup is pretty rare though. Since you're going to be in the pre-runner scene, 4.88's would be perfect for you.

4. Aisin hubs are the best by far. Keep them, use them, find a pair if you don't have any. You won't regret it.

I don't know anything about the front differential changing through the years. I always thought all the IFS 7.5 diff housings were the same. I might be wrong on this though. Hope this helps.
Old 06-16-2003, 11:45 AM

I'm not totally sure on the diff size in the front changing either... I'll search around and see if it has been the same. That was something I heard word of mouth, not read anywhere. Thanks for the info on the gears and hubs... I'll be scattering around junkyards in the area over the next couple months, especially once I get my Exploder fixed and sold... That'll give me the $$$ needed to build almost the entire truck .

Thanks for the info!!!

Khris
Old 06-17-2003, 07:24 AM

TTT

I figured with the amount of replies this board is getting I would have some help with this... Anything is appreciated...

Khris
Old 06-17-2003, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. There is a plate right by the gasket at the cowl with the VIN. Also in the door jamb and a small plate on top of the dash.

2. 4.88's would be a good choice. The V6 auto setup you are looking for is more common than you think. The Toy gears are very beefy. Don't go this route if you plan to ever regear to 5.29's though. Something about the housing makes regearing to another ratio nearly impossible.

3. I agree with Churnd - I think all 7.5" IFS diffs are created equal. I also an not 100% positive. Find someone doing a SAS. They'll likely junk the parts. As an outside shot, maybe try All Pro Offroad - they actually do swaps.

4. Aisin Hubs rule. Hold one in your hand and compare it to a Warn. The Aisin one is much more stout.