95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Yota, few questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Yota, few questions

99 runnner SR5 with 205k

Good dealer records and one owner car.

Tomorrow getting alignment and oil changed (they are doing that as an IOU, yes I can change my own)

Considering the following and since I am "new" to toyota's wanted to get some feedback on some things.

-Spark Plugs, nothing really making me think I need them other than no record of them being changed, so cheap it is worth it in my opinion. What kind is recommended for the 3.4l as a daily driver? I want the best performing ones so let me know what you recommend!

-Power Steering Flush - What is the "mechanical level" of doing this on your own in this truck? Or just like any other.

-Manual Tranny - just buy Toyota fluid, drain, pump in and plug back up?

-MAF Cleaning - Recommended? Once again 205k and no records of replacement on this.

-Keeping Yota Air Filter- Been advised by others........you?

-Brakes front and rear- no question here but installing new pads/rotors.

Anything else to keep this puppy running strong? Im easy on the pedal.

Also ANY WAY TO KEEP THIS THING FROM AUTO LOCKING ONCE I GET OUT???? It seems it locks itself once im out. I come from being able to control my whole car from my laptop and controlling this.......but i dont have hooks or software for this rig. Dealer can help?

THank you all and I look forward to a long life getting help and helping others here in YotaTech! Sofar this has been a great forum for me!
Old 02-07-2009, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Real----Estate
99 runnner SR5 with 205k

Good dealer records and one owner car.

Tomorrow getting alignment and oil changed (they are doing that as an IOU, yes I can change my own)

Considering the following and since I am "new" to toyota's wanted to get some feedback on some things.

-Spark Plugs, nothing really making me think I need them other than no record of them being changed, so cheap it is worth it in my opinion. What kind is recommended for the 3.4l as a daily driver? I want the best performing ones so let me know what you recommend!

Toyota OEM

-Power Steering Flush - What is the "mechanical level" of doing this on your own in this truck? Or just like any other.

2 people, don't let the pump run dry.....Front tires off the ground, return hose in a five gallon bucket.... until fluid coming out pump return hose is clean.

-Manual Tranny - just buy Toyota fluid, drain, pump in and plug back up?

Get hot, drain, fill with factory recommended fluid (check your owners manual) my buddy likes Redline MT90

-MAF Cleaning - Recommended? Once again 205k and no records of replacement on this.

Clean with high quality electronics cleaner

OEM Toyota always for me

OEM for brakes for me

Anything else to keep this puppy running strong? Im easy on the pedal.

Also ANY WAY TO KEEP THIS THING FROM AUTO LOCKING ONCE I GET OUT???? It seems it locks itself once im out. I come from being able to control my whole car from my laptop and controlling this.......but i dont have hooks or software for this rig. Dealer can help?

THank you all and I look forward to a long life getting help and helping others here in YotaTech! Sofar this has been a great forum for me!
Can't speak to the locking issue.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
-Spark Plugs
NGK BKR5EKB-11
Also do the wires NGK NGK TE66

-Power Steering Flush
I use a turkey baster

-Manual Tranny
I have an auto, but with 205K I would stick with OEM fluid

-MAF Cleaning
Yes, take a look at the throttle body why you're in there.

Yes, slap in a new OEM filter

Rotors - switch them to Brembo, OEM pads are fine

-Also ANY WAY TO KEEP THIS THING FROM AUTO LOCKING ONCE I GET OUT???? This might help: http://www.customtacos.com/tech/file...rogramming.pdf