Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New to the site, New 4Runner, already doing mods...PICS

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the site, New 4Runner, already doing mods...PICS

Well let me start off by saying THANK YOU! I have had my 4Runner for 2 weeks and have been on this website nonstop. I have already performed mods with your help and write-ups.

Now, It's good to be back in a Toyota...

I still havent taken a good picture of her yet but here is one when she was in my garage today.

SO, on to today's festivities...

I just sold my 2002 Chevy Z71 and purchased a 2000 4Runner Limited 4wd with the 3.4L 5VZFE. My first truck was a 97 Toyota Tacoma with the 3.4 4wd extended cab 5 speed...great truck, loved everything about it. Ive performed a lot of different tasks on this motor and feel quite familiar under the hood. So today I decided to perform the install the of the Deck Plate mod and the Intake Silencer Removal. I had my camera along side and figured I could provide a few images along the way...

I decided to do the ISR mod first...after finding Dr. Z's detailed write up on the forum, I decided to head to my local muffler shop where a nice man named Lou (AAA Muffler, Cookeville, TN) who has done work on my Z71 in the past helped make the custom piece to replace the silencer box with. It took two trys to get it to the correct size, but its snug and looks great...sounds great too!

As for rerouting the vacuum lines, I took Dr. Z's purchase and replicated it...a foot of 7/32" hose and one 1/4" Tee joint. I attached one end of a 6" piece of hose to the left of the tee and the other to the FPR (I had to use my hose instead of the one already here, as it did not fit snugly on the Tee...oh well, new is better). I cut a 2" piece to attach to the top of the tee and to the air manifold; i attached the hose previously attached to the manifold to the right side of the Tee...

Now onto the deckplate mod...

I first removed the airbox, unplugging the MAF and loosening the ring clamp on the intake hose. Not hard, but I did knock my washer reservoir collar loose and noticed a little fluid dripped out before I saw it. No big deal.

Once I got the airbox out, I loosened the screws holding in the MAF and put it in a plastic bag to avoid any particulates in the air.
How often should you clean the MAF?

At this point, using the advise of those who have gone before me, I lined and taped off the airbox to catch the shavings made in the next step.

I then traced out my deckplate on the airbox and drilled a hole close to the outline edge. I then used a jigsaw to cut the outline out, which worked exceptionally well. I did end up having to drill a couple other start holes since the brackets on the air box prevented the full circular motion of the saw in one sweep. I sanded off the rough edges, tested the fit, and cleaned out the airbox of any loose shavings.

I then applied my bead of Sensor Safe Permatex, fitted the deckplate, drilled pilot holes for the screws and attached the plate using #8 1/2" flathead screws.

At this point, I wanted to attach a screen to the backside of the deckplate, inside the airbox to catch any loose debris/trash coming through the grille. I cut a 5" DIA piece of screen and used a 3-5" ringclamp to clamp it on the inside.

Now here is a trick to tighten the clamp if you do not have a elbow socket joint...use a long flathead or socket extension to come in from the air inlet that attaches to the passenger fender elbow. You just have to turn the clamp to where it is accessible from there.

Now I just let that dry, reinstalled the airbox and plugged everything up, including the EFI fuse I removed in the beginning. Everything looks good!

Wow, what an improvement in throttle response! And the sound coming from that intake is mean...I had a K&N on my Z71 and it sounded good as well, but these are two different sounds, two different kinds of good...imho of course

I am anxious to see if there is an improvement in mileage...

Speaking of that, I think I must have a faulty sending unit. Ive filled up twice since my purchase, both times soon after the light came on; it would only fill up to about 12.5 gallons. Now, doing the math I was still getting around 17.5 mpg around town, but I was confused thinking the gas tank was 15 gallons, like on my old Taco. Then I looked up the issue and found the info on faulty sending units on 99 and 00 models.

So here is my question...to those of you that have a similar issue, how many miles do you typically get out of a tank if you run it on past the gas light? I know I used to get anywhere from 275-325 a tank on my Taco depending on where I drove mostly (and how) but just out of instincts I suppose and the fear of running dry, that light makes me nervous and start looking for stations. Any help is appreciated.

Also, occasionally when I roll into a stop and then push the gas, its almost like the transmission takes a split second to decide what gear to go in, almost like a miss of some sort. It doesnt lurch or anything serious, just a little hitch in its step, ya know? I dont know if this could be the wires, plugs, coil packs or something completely different. It doesnt do it all the time, just occasionally and only in the rolling stop scenario described above. If anyone has any knowledge on the issue, your input would be greatly appreciated!

As far as the interior goes, I have installed my Alpine Type S component speakers as well as my Pioneer Premier head unit...and its all sounding nice...

Oh, I just found this picture my girlfriend took when I first got the 4Runner.

Since then, I have replaced the dry rotting tires that were on it with a set of Firestone Destination A/T 265/70/R16. The guy I bought the 4runner from was a maintenance supervisor at the Bridgestone/Firestone plant and got me a 35% discount on the new set of tires...mighty nice of him!

Now that this good weather is here, I cant wait to get some car camping in with the new T4R...Ive only had trucks so far in my life and am pretty excited about the change over to the SUV world!

Comments appreciated! Happy to join the forum!

Last edited by JMRAY23; 04-09-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:29 PM

And Yes, that is a Kegerator in the top picture and on my avatar...My roommates and I made it using that old Hotpoint fridge that was left here by the previous renters. Works great!

Here's a close up:
Old 04-09-2010, 07:31 PM

1- Nice hood scoop, Sweet runner.

2. Grease your zerks-for the drive line play.
http://www.4runners.org/writeups/zerk/index.html

3. I used this site a lot in the beginning. Lots of good info
http://www.4runners.org/

4. I get 14ish gallons to a tank usually. A lot few miles. There is a way to reset the sending unit, you'd have to search.

Edit 5. I don't know why I numbered I didn't do my answers in order...

Welcome!

Last edited by Yukon; 04-09-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Welcome to Yotatech!!

Great lookin rig and nicely done mods!! I like the screen idea, may have to borrow that one!!
Old 04-09-2010, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Yukon
1- Nice hood scoop, Sweet runner.

2. Grease your zerks-for the drive line play.
http://www.4runners.org/writeups/zerk/index.html

3. I used this site a lot in the beginning. Lots of good info
http://www.4runners.org/

4. I get 14ish gallons to a tank usually. A lot few miles. There is a way to reset the sending unit, you'd have to search.

Edit 5. I don't know why I numbered I didn't do my answers in order...

Welcome!
Thanks for the advice and info. I found that site a few days ago and you're correct, lots of good info there.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:40 PM

nice writeup, and i love the makeshift kagerator... hooray for alcoholics!!!
Old 04-09-2010, 08:00 PM

Damn, this just reminded me to do my deck plate and isr mods and stop being lazy about it =)

Welcome in!
Old 04-09-2010, 10:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
let me guess, your in the Nashville area or just a predators fan?
Old 04-10-2010, 02:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
14-15 gallons is a common gas fillup. You'll learn to reset at least one trip odometer each time you gas up. Most everyone has the faulty early fuel low warning -it can be fixed but is just a nuisance item mainly.

Good looking ride and nice writeup on the deckplate. Nice custom intake piece your shop guy made. Cool kegerator.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:21 AM

Welcome to YT, you'll love it.

Question, are your windows tinted b/c they don't look like it and I haven't seen a Limited without factory tinted rear winders before.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:45 AM

Sig Sauer - Somebody is packin!
Old 04-10-2010, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking good.

The low fuel light comes on real early. If I remember right the tank size is 17.5 or 17.8 gallons. I can get well over 100 miles after my light comes on.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:59 PM

"let me guess, your in the Nashville area or just a predators fan?"
I grew up in Franklin (20 mi south of Nashville), live in Cookeville (90 miles east of Nashville)...and yes, Preds fan!

"Question, are your windows tinted b/c they don't look like it and I haven't seen a Limited without factory tinted rear winders before."
Yes they are tinted...probably only to around 45% though. I would like to go darker, as I had 5% on my truck, but the added viability is nice. I could go down to 20 or 25% and still be happy. Just don't tell ole' Johnny Lawman...
Old 09-27-2012, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whats the point rerouting the fpr vac line?
better performance?
Old 09-27-2012, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by runnermedic
whats the point rerouting the fpr vac line?
better performance?
You have to re route it in those models, its connected to the resinator. And when you remove that there is no place for it to attach to. I did the same set up with isr mod and seems to be fine. I like the screen with deckplate probably will borrow that one. As far as gas I run a little over 300 miles and when I fill up its about 16-17 gallons
Old 09-27-2012, 10:52 PM

Looks good i need me a 4 runner