Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New SC'd 98 4Runner and AMSOIL Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile New SC'd 98 4Runner, AMSOIL Recommendations?

Hello All,

Well the time has finally come to move on from my 91 Pickup (which I still own at the moment) and upgrade to a vehicle that can fit a car seat. But instead of just buying some used boring passenger car, I picked up a 98 Supercharged 4Runner. It's stock except for the supercharger and larger tires, but that'll change with time!

Here's a few pics:

My 91 Pickup in the background

It has 191k miles and it's got a so-so history. Was babied by a car nut (had several turbo'd vehicles) and put the SC on it so his wife could have fun driving the 4Runner, and probably to keep her out of the turbo cars! 2nd owner knew little to nothing about cars. Oil was pitch black, had to put a new transmission since he never changed the fluid, but at least he kept the exterior and interior in good shape. Replaced timing belt at 163k. Then comes me, owner #3. I'm planning to keep this one 300k+ so in it for the long haul.

I'm wanting to switch to synthetic AMSOIL fluids for pretty much everything. I wanted to do it on my pickup, but realized for it's age and the fact I wasn't going to have it long deterred me. Now that I've got a supercharged engine, cheapo oil and fluids isn't going to cut it for me. I want this engine to last, and I want to get better performance (for the transmission). Plus, the extended change intervals will make it cost about the same (if not cheaper) in the long run.

So was perusing their site and wanted to know what do you think are the best fluids for a SC'd 4Runner and what do you guys recommend based off your experience? Motor oil, transmission fluid, etc. and what brand you run (i.e. Performance, Extra Performance, etc.). I did the recommendations from the site, but usually gave 2 or more options per fluid.

Also was interested in their air filters as well as brake fluid (I have to replace it all anyway, it's as black as night and the brakes are iffy). If you've used these let me know!

Last edited by Gamefreakgc; 10-03-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm slowly switching everything I own to Amsoil. I have ran Amsoil in my truck for years. I'll have to check back which line of engine oil I use. I believe it's the one in the middle. My truck calls for 5w-30 and that's what I use.
After I switched the transmission fluid to Amsoil it shifter slightly smoother. Gear oil still looks good when it was drained also.
It is cost effective just in the extended drain. I'd like to get an oil analysis before I change it next time to see how much further I can go.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:00 AM
Contributing Member

Good find. First off if the oil that was in it was that bad I would recommend you considering a seafoam/Marvel mystery oil treatment. I have a very detailed thread on here about how I do it. Made a world of difference in my truck.

Now for the fluids, I personally use the 0w-30 AMSoil when I can afford it. For the diffs I used the highest quality recommended fluid, you can call them and ask which is best.

Same for the transmission, used the synthetic fluid that was recommended.

Everything works great.

If it was neglected for that long be sure and do a COMPLETE tune up. Fuel filter, radiator flush, plugs, wires, grease the driveshaft, ect.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Good find. First off if the oil that was in it was that bad I would recommend you considering a seafoam/Marvel mystery oil treatment. I have a very detailed thread on here about how I do it. Made a world of difference in my truck.

Now for the fluids, I personally use the 0w-30 AMSoil when I can afford it. For the diffs I used the highest quality recommended fluid, you can call them and ask which is best.

Same for the transmission, used the synthetic fluid that was recommended.

Everything works great.

If it was neglected for that long be sure and do a COMPLETE tune up. Fuel filter, radiator flush, plugs, wires, grease the driveshaft, ect.

How would one go about using seafoam on a SC'd engine? Any chance it might damage the supercharger? I don't have the stock manifold.

I've had the oil changed once and my mechanic recommended using a engine flush. Cleaned out a good amount of sludge for the first go round. And yeah, in a month or two when I'm finished working on the house I'm gonna do a whole lot more than a tune up! Going to replace struts, shocks, check valve clearances, the whole enchilada.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Gamefreakgc
How would one go about using seafoam on a SC'd engine? Any chance it might damage the supercharger? I don't have the stock manifold.
Same way you would do it with anything else. No different then meth injection far as the supercharger is concerned. Which reminds me, if you don't have fuel mods then make that one of the first things on your list.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:59 AM

Yeah, fuel mods are a must. When the engine is good and hot I'm already hearing some pinging at low rpm's. Not so much in the highs (but I haven't pushed it too hard till I do the tune-up).

The problem is nothing is smog legal in Cali. My truck has an EGR, and meth injection won't pass smog. Unless I hide it all really good...
Old 10-06-2014, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, fuel mods are a must. When the engine is good and hot I'm already hearing some pinging at low rpm's. Not so much in the highs (but I haven't pushed it too hard till I do the tune-up).

The problem is nothing is smog legal in Cali. My truck has an EGR, and meth injection won't pass smog. Unless I hide it all really good...
Water injection is perfectly legal in Cali. Simply fill it with water instead of meth before getting it smoged.

Pretty sure that the piggyback options are also legal as well.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I shouldn't even participate since I don't use high dollar fluids, but whatever. I've always found cheap Castrol 5w-30 and napa gold filters fine. I also use cheap ol Oreilly's Dex III without problems. I increase the intervals, such as a trans drain and fill every time I get back from the track, for instance. I think you can get caught up in using "the best" but these engine and trannys go for 300k+ on the regular with regular oil changes and trans flushes. My vote is to use sensibly priced stuff and just change it on schedule. No need for a lot of this fancy high dollar stuff.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use the stock windshield reservoir and you won't even know it's there. Incognito, I think is the word. You're wanting to clean your engine really good? Try steam clean with a simple water injection kit. You can get them on Ebay for a song and they have oh so many benefits. Probably would kill that low rpm ping too.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by vasinvictor
I shouldn't even participate since I don't use high dollar fluids, but whatever. I've always found cheap Castrol 5w-30 and napa gold filters fine. I also use cheap ol Oreilly's Dex III without problems. I increase the intervals, such as a trans drain and fill every time I get back from the track, for instance. I think you can get caught up in using "the best" but these engine and trannys go for 300k+ on the regular with regular oil changes and trans flushes. My vote is to use sensibly priced stuff and just change it on schedule. No need for a lot of this fancy high dollar stuff.
Amsoil is actually not much more then oil from the store unless you get the cheapest stuff there. Just got to order it from them and sing up for the "preferred customer program"

Originally Posted by vasinvictor
Use the stock windshield reservoir and you won't even know it's there. Incognito, I think is the word. You're wanting to clean your engine really good? Try steam clean with a simple water injection kit. You can get them on Ebay for a song and they have oh so many benefits. Probably would kill that low rpm ping too.
Doesn't even need to hide it, it is fully legal to use water injection in cali. Stock washer fluid tank is the best option IMO though.

Cheapest kits I know of worth using run around ~$175+. Cheaper then that new is generally a very sub par kit that will die a quick death, particularly if used with methanol. Still cheaper then the 7th injector though if you have access to pure methanol, Which Cali make hard to get.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:52 PM

Water-injection is only sort-of legal in CA, it's only CARB (California Air Resource Board) approved for certain diesel-powered engines.

However, you're right about the stock windshield wiper fluid container. I was planning on running a 40% methanol wiper fluid, so if the nozzle is hidden enough I don't know if they'd even be able to tell. Would the pump be too obvious though? If it says "Methanol injection pump" all over it then I don't think that'll fly with the smog techs.

Part of the reason I want to switch fluids is the PO already burned through one transmission and really neglected the oil. I want to use some good stuff in there, plus AMSOIL with their high end product will last 25,000 miles on N/A engines and 15,000 miles on forced induction. I was roughly $9 a quart after the discount. I don't think I'd run it THAT long, but would still be saving money in the long run and have better oil in there.

Vasinvictor, I totally agree with you on other applications though. I've used cheapo Chevron oil in my pickup for years now and it has 288k miles, not a hint of sludge buildup. I changed it ever 3k miles though.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:18 AM
Contributing Member

Water-injection is only sort-of legal in CA, it's only CARB (California Air Resource Board) approved for certain diesel-powered engines.

However, you're right about the stock windshield wiper fluid container. I was planning on running a 40% methanol wiper fluid, so if the nozzle is hidden enough I don't know if they'd even be able to tell. Would the pump be too obvious though? If it says "Methanol injection pump" all over it then I don't think that'll fly with the smog techs.

Part of the reason I want to switch fluids is the PO already burned through one transmission and really neglected the oil. I want to use some good stuff in there, plus AMSOIL with their high end product will last 25,000 miles on N/A engines and 15,000 miles on forced induction. I was roughly $9 a quart after the discount. I don't think I'd run it THAT long, but would still be saving money in the long run and have better oil in there.

Vasinvictor, I totally agree with you on other applications though. I've used cheapo Chevron oil in my pickup for years now and it has 288k miles, not a hint of sludge buildup. I changed it ever 3k miles though.
Not from what I have heard. I live in Texas so no personal experiance but on the MR2 boards they install meth kits all the time in plain view with no issues. One of the guys there is kind of an expert in cali cmog and posted the technical details on it.

IIRC it basically said water injection was perfectly fine but methanol injection is not. As such the guys that run it simply switch to water when taking it to be smoged.

Change interval > oil quality when it comes to long term engine life. That said I still like to put some good oil in a car when I first get it, helps clean it out. Mobie1 works great for this even if it is not the best oil since it has a ton of additives.

The best situation is good oil + regular change interval.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:23 AM

Depends on who you are asking. There's smog-check shops, and then there's "smog-check" shops, one which is a legitimate business and the other a way to bypass the smog restrictions with fake smog reports. I'm not willing to do the latter, so wanting to make sure I can pass. But we'll see how things go, I'm still a long ways off from any sort of injection.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Contributing Member

Depends on who you are asking. There's smog-check shops, and then there's "smog-check" shops, one which is a legitimate business and the other a way to bypass the smog restrictions with fake smog reports. I'm not willing to do the latter, so wanting to make sure I can pass. But we'll see how things go, I'm still a long ways off from any sort of injection.
Water injection is legal no matter who you go to. Just got to switch to pure water before going.

See page 76 pf the Carb handbook: http://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/Smog%20Che...ce%20Guide.pdf

Notice that inspectors are not required to check for a carb sticker for water injection systems, AKA they are legal.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:03 AM

There you go! I didn't see the handbook, I was searching by EO and the only ones showing up that were legal were water injection kits for some turbo-diesel engines. That would make sense why I didn't see any others since it's not required for them to have one!

Well that does make things easier then. Still a long ways off from injection though