Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New to me 99 4Runner with 224k

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to me 99 4Runner with 224k

Hey there!

So, I just got my hands on a 99 runner with a V6 and I'm wanting to do some preventative maintenance.
I will hopefully be getting the maintenance records soon but I wanted to ask a couple questions.

1. I've read about the pink milkshake. The previous owner (my sister) doesn't know a thing about it (she's only had the vehicle for 2 years) and I'm wondering if there is a way I can tell if the radiator has been upgraded.
Upon a quick inspection everything looks stock and I don't see an external trans cooler in any of the spots I'm used to.

2. If the transmissions hasn't been serviced should I leave it alone or should I go ahead and do a fluid change? (from what I've read the filter is lifetime)

3. the suspension in the rear end seems to pop when I go over uneven surfaces. I haven't had a chance to jack it up and check it out yet but is there something you guys suggest I look at.

4. Is there anything in particular that I should be looking at on a vehicle with this many miles?

Well, that's it's for now, thanks for any help you all can give me
Old 11-06-2015, 04:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
See responses below

Originally Posted by cliffordconradsumner
Hey there!

So, I just got my hands on a 99 runner with a V6 and I'm wanting to do some preventative maintenance.
I will hopefully be getting the maintenance records soon but I wanted to ask a couple questions.

1. I've read about the pink milkshake. The previous owner (my sister) doesn't know a thing about it (she's only had the vehicle for 2 years) and I'm wondering if there is a way I can tell if the radiator has been upgraded.
Upon a quick inspection everything looks stock and I don't see an external trans cooler in any of the spots I'm used to.

You can use the radiator that's in there. If you want to be on safe side buy a cheap Hayden trans cooler and bypass the "in radiator" one. There's plenty of tutorials on it here.

2. If the transmissions hasn't been serviced should I leave it alone or should I go ahead and do a fluid change? (from what I've read the filter is lifetime)

The filter is just a metal screen. It's never been dirty in any of the trans I've been into. It's not worth the effort of removing the pan IMO. I'd just do a couple drain and fills (maybe a fewdepending on the trans fluid color). You want it bright pink/red. You can use the cheapest DexIII fluid you can find on sale at auto parts store. No need to get crazy/expensive.

3. the suspension in the rear end seems to pop when I go over uneven surfaces. I haven't had a chance to jack it up and check it out yet but is there something you guys suggest I look at.

Not sure you'll have to get under there and check. Pay attention to swaybar bushings and shock mounts.

4. Is there anything in particular that I should be looking at on a vehicle with this many miles?

These motors and trans run forever with fluid changes. If it's running good and got clean oil, then it's probably OK! The motor is a non interferance motor so if your timing belt breaks, it won't cause any damage. It can be inconvenient however, so use your judgement on when you want to change that. While you're doing that, of course, I would change the water pump. If the bearings are making noise, replace them too. If a cam seal is leaking, replace that while you're into it. Pretty easy, really. Welcome to the club.

Well, that's it's for now, thanks for any help you all can give me
Old 11-06-2015, 05:12 AM

Fantastic, thank you so much for the reply, I'll get on that right away!
Old 11-06-2015, 05:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Howdy and welcome and check those lower ball joints while you're under there checking all the usual suspects and rubber bits. Many of us do them as maintenance because of the way they fail. OEM only, imo.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:55 PM

Thanks, will do!
Old 11-07-2015, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you didn't mention if the tranny is automatic or manual. if it's a manual then there's no need to worry about the strawberry milkshake but you do need to replace all the fluids, just to be sure it has been done and also to have a starting point for your maintenance records
Old 11-09-2015, 06:17 PM

Sorry about that, yeah, it's an auto and that's a good point about the reference point for the maintenance.
Thanks for all the help!