Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

new kid question- no flaming!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new kid question- no flaming!

sorry to be a new kid, but i gotta ask this- i just got a 90 4runner with the spare mounted on the car, so i have NO clue how to get it back up under the car to its holder. Does anyone have detailed pics, or explenations on how to do this- all i can see is the chain underneath, and then i have this springy thing that goes through a couple of stud holes on the wheel- what the hell am i not doing?? ahaha- thanks for the help on the bad question-
Old 01-11-2004, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome to YotaTech. We were all "new kids" at one point so you shouldn't have to worry about flames here...In fact it's very rare on this board. For the most part, a big bunch of good people.

I have a 3rd gen (96 thru 2002) 4Runner so don't know if the spare setup is the same on yours. There should be a cable or chain that comes down from up behind your rear bumper that has a "T" on the end to slip through the axle hole or possibly a bolt hole in your spare wheel. After slipping the "T" through the hole, you should be able to crank the cable/chain and spare wheel and tire up to where it normally rests. I have a rod/crank stored under the passenger side rear seat. Fit that into a hole that should be above the bumper just inside there rear hatch door.

That's the same setup I've had on other trucks but don't know if that's what yours has but sounds like it.

Hope this helps.

Mick
Old 01-11-2004, 10:24 AM

yea- i got all that stuff down- i got the metal rod that i crank, yesterday i was cranking it, and i guess i spun too far and the chain fell out, and now i cant get it in again, so now theres just a chain hanging down to the ground, and i cant get it back in there, or have any idea to lift a wheel up under it.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:49 AM

Welcome to YotaTech. I see your also representing Boulder.

I have heard of people cranking them too far on Fords and they can break for good, but I'm not sure about Toyotas.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just put bigger tires on the runner, so that the spare wont fit underneath, and throw a roof rack ontop and put the spare up there! oh well, just a thought. im sure someone will jump in with a solution to the problem.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

You're saying the chain fell completely out? Never seen that but I guess it's possible of the chain broke. Normally it is anchored at the end so this doesn't happen. In that case you just crank it the opposite way. If it fell out completely, you may need a helper to crank while you feed the end of the chain in. Once it's started, it should work normally.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

I think your setup is a little different from mine ('92) because I have a stainless steel cable instead of a chain. Anyway, I had a similar thing happen to me and I broke the shear pin that is inside the gear assembly that raises and lowers the cable (chain in your senario). Unbolt the housing from the frame and see what it looks like inside. I'm guessing that when you turn the metal T-handle, the shaft is just spinning inside the gear. The shaft is anchored to the gear with the shear pin. You can get replacement pins at Autozone, etc. Just take the old one with you to make sure you get the right diameter. The one I bought was too long so you may have to cut it to length.

Hope this helps you out.

Bill
Old 01-11-2004, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

Oops just read my post:pat: Let me clarify. The gear assembly I am talking about does not sit directly above the tire and it doesn't contain the cable. I'm talking about the first gear box that the metal T-rod encounters when you shove it through the back of your truck. This gear box is connected to the cable housing that raises the tire with two additional metal linkage rods.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:40 PM
Banned for dupe accounts

I didnt know they put the tire under theair on those models. I have a '91 and its mounted on the tail gate.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:16 PM

i think i understand what your all saying- the chain is stil hanging there from the stationary location, but it fell out of the gear mechanism, and now i cant get it back in. i've tried having someone turn the long rod clockwise (tighty) while i feed the chain in the hole (hole looks like a cross) no luck... tried putting it in the OTHER hole on the assembly, and still no luck. Wish i had pics to show it, but im trying my best to describe- think im just gonna have to take it all off and check it out. Thanks for the help

oh yea- once i get this figured out, how do i get the tire up under there to stay? Thanks!
Old 01-11-2004, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

Just crank it up there tight.
Old 01-11-2004, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 4agzemc
i think i understand what your all saying- the chain is stil hanging there from the stationary location, but it fell out of the gear mechanism, and now i cant get it back in. i've tried having someone turn the long rod clockwise (tighty) while i feed the chain in the hole (hole looks like a cross) no luck... tried putting it in the OTHER hole on the assembly, and still no luck. Wish i had pics to show it, but im trying my best to describe- think im just gonna have to take it all off and check it out. Thanks for the help

oh yea- once i get this figured out, how do i get the tire up under there to stay? Thanks!
is it a steel cable or a chain? (note they are different)
Old 01-12-2004, 06:47 PM

its a chain, and i cant get it in the hole to crank up there- ultra frusterating.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:53 PM

I'm a pretty new kid myself.. Just keep trying and trying.. And stare at it a while.. a good kick never hurt.. I have the same thing (i believe) on my 87 pickup.. With a chain that holds the tire to the bottom of the bed and a little wheel looking thing on the rear side of the little case to turn and lower it.. i would help ya and take mine apart to see if i could find the problem but when i bought the pickup the previous owners didn't give me the right thing for the crank so i can't lower or raise the spare under the bed at all.. i always wondered why they gave me a spare in the bed of the truck and one underneath........ I'll go out there tomorrow and look at it to see if i can see something that might work out. Congrats on the 4runner and welcome!
Old 01-12-2004, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by RidgeRunner
...you shouldn't have to worry about flames here...In fact it's very rare on this board. For the most part, a big bunch of good people.

Mick
This is so true. It's astonished me for the few months I've been on this board how little drama has gone on compared to other lists/boards I frequent.

Bill
Old 01-12-2004, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by bobzemuda
This is so true. It's astonished me for the few months I've been on this board how little drama has gone on compared to other lists/boards I frequent.

Bill
Agreed.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:15 AM

Yotatech is one of a kind.