Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New K&N Kit Installed (Pics & Vid)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New K&N Kit Installed (Pics & Vid)

Hey everyone... Had a deal I couldn't pass up. Got a K&N FIPK for $177 yesterday. Got it installed and so far I love it. It does what it claims and I have no regrets. I've tossed it around on what kind of intake to go for, and well... this just kept coming to the front of the list. Here's some pics. I'll need some zip ties to clean up a coule of things, but you get the idea.

Here's the vid to watch the gauges and listen to the new sound....
Old 02-23-2008, 08:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Can you feel a differance in power?
Old 02-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, I can. Driving around town there's no sound difference, but now I only need to feather the gas to get around. I don't have to push the gas near as much as I used to when on 4 lane roads and I need to pass someone to change lanes. I would like to say that it pulls me back in the seat more when I put my foot in it more as well. The roads are just clearing now so I didn't do any WOT much before this upgrade. Roads were too icy and it was too dangerous.

I didn't buy it for the sound, but I tell you what, it sounds great! I can tell the engine likes the increase of air. Now if someone would like to donate an exhause from the headers on back, I bet the engine would really love me!

Really though, I wanted to connect a G-Tech to my Runner stock and after this upgrade to get some numbers, but like I said the roads have been real icy this past month and I'm not going to screw around.

Installation was easy. Even if you never turned a wrench the instructions they provided were dead on. I even did it in the dark last night.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats Shannon, I was thinking of getting a Volant myself. But you are definitely right about the cost though, that is a really good price. I was thinking of getting a Volant with a Magnaflow exhaust to see if I can get some pep. I know the Volant is a BOX, yours is not. I was wondering if you knew if it made a difference. Volant claims that it will keep hot engine air out of the intake. Your seems wide open and I would assume that it would suck in more air from all angles and not just the wheel well.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:13 PM

Nice intake, i went to through the cheaper route to get my intake done with similar results; DP and ISR that is.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 2000t4rAKS
Congrats Shannon, I was thinking of getting a Volant myself. But you are definitely right about the cost though, that is a really good price. I was thinking of getting a Volant with a Magnaflow exhaust to see if I can get some pep. I know the Volant is a BOX, yours is not. I was wondering if you knew if it made a difference. Volant claims that it will keep hot engine air out of the intake. Your seems wide open and I would assume that it would suck in more air from all angles and not just the wheel well.

I was thinking the Volant as well for those same exact reasons... But after thinking about it (and the cost again.. hehehe) the Volant gets its air from the same hole in the fender as OEM, right? So will you get that much MORE air? I have no idea if you will or not, but I wouldn't THINK so. This shield is up against the hood when it's closed so the top is pretty sealed. The bottom is pretty tight against the wheelwell as well. I would love to find a way to get some temp sensers in there and see just what the temp is. Something I'll look at tomorrow is if there is a shot of air coming in from the grill (near the headlight) that will keep a higher pressure within the shield to keep the engine heat out some. Again, I have no idea. I've been super busy today to really sit back and look at it.

Last edited by psraff; 02-23-2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:06 PM

wow sounds EXACTLY like mine before i got the vortex muffler installed...i thought it sounded great...but TRUST ME, you HAVE to get a new muffler or exhaust setup!

i noticed a big throttle response difference when i installed mine
Old 02-23-2008, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by psraff
I was thinking the Volant as well for those same exact reasons... But after thinking about it (and the cost again.. hehehe) the Volant gets its air from the same hole in the fender as OEM, right? So will you get that much MORE air? I have no idea if you will or not, but I wouldn't THINK so. This shield is up against the hood when it's closed so the top is pretty sealed. The bottom is pretty tight against the wheelwell as well. I would love to find a way to get some temp sensers in there and see just what the temp is. Something I'll look at tomorrow is if there is a shot of air coming in from the grill (near the headlight) that will keep a higher pressure within the shield to keep the engine heat out some. Again, I have no idea. I've been super busy today to really sit back and look at it.

I guess someone that has a Volant on here can chime in. From what you have described, it seems like the Volant is getting the same amount of air as the OEM box. In terms of your K&N, it seems to seal pretty tight with that rubber edge against the hood. I am just impressed to see that its getting air from all directions. If you do find out, please keep me posted. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:12 AM
Contributing Member

You won't notice any different in power from a GTech meter since 7-8whp won't even show up at the strip and I know since I've drag raced my 4Runner with the airbox stock and then with the deckplate installed. (or hole in the airbox)

The "power" you are feeling is the improved throttle response since you got rid of the convaluted intake tube.

It also doesn't matter how big of the surface of the air filter is since you can only pull in so much air into the intake tube since that didn't change size.

Those intakes make no more horsepower on a 3rd gen then the deckplate mod does and this has been dyno proven many times but they do look better when you open the hood.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
177 bucks?

thats e-spensive....
Old 02-24-2008, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver

Those intakes make no more horsepower on a 3rd gen then the deckplate mod does and this has been dyno proven many times
Right after I got my '99 I posted a thread asking for people who Dynoed their rigs stock and after upgrades. Not a single person spoke up. There's a lot of knowledge on this site and I like being here, but everyone use the words "feels like", "seems to be", or "sounds like" when it comes to performance upgrades to their trucks. I looked around and there isn't a dyno locally. I would have to go up to Anchorage to do it. The best option I had was going to a local shop. They use a G-Tech to get a baseline and then again after upgrades are done. I know it wont be exact, but at least their numbers. I couldn't do it because it's winter time and finding a dry patch of road is out of the question to do the runs.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Right after I got my '99 I posted a thread asking for people who Dynoed their rigs stock and after upgrades. Not a single person spoke up. There's a lot of knowledge on this site and I like being here, but everyone use the words "feels like", "seems to be", or "sounds like" when it comes to performance upgrades to their trucks. I looked around and there isn't a dyno locally. I would have to go up to Anchorage to do it. The best option I had was going to a local shop. They use a G-Tech to get a baseline and then again after upgrades are done. I know it wont be exact, but at least their numbers. I couldn't do it because it's winter time and finding a dry patch of road is out of the question to do the runs.
I usually use one of these>>>

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=41
Old 02-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy

OH GOD HELP US! LOLOL
Old 02-25-2008, 12:35 AM

x2 on trying to find those dyno results, couldn't find them myself either. It may have been a tad more expensive route than the DP (to some people-but we're also all guilty of modding our rigs to our liking). Throttle response or not IMHO it is a sweet set-up and does add a different look under the hood.

PSRAFF-Nice to see yourockin the K&N and finally get it done, it looks good..I actually think I got a different model or something, cus mine looks different.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by 4rnr4nick
wow sounds EXACTLY like mine before i got the vortex muffler installed...i thought it sounded great...but TRUST ME, you HAVE to get a new muffler or exhaust setup!

i noticed a big throttle response difference when i installed mine
GO VORTEX!!
Old 02-25-2008, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jdizzydub
GO VORTEX!!
I crawled under my truck yesterday to just have a look around. Wouldn't you know it that my exhaust is rock solid! Now I have to come up with another excuse to upgrade.

Really though, I have to slow down. I have to get my rear bumper taken care of and wheels and tires for it real soon (I only have winter tires on stock wheels right now)

As for upgrades that I don't need, I see fog lights and I would like to find some fender flares for it. I would like to strip the chrome off of my truck plus protect my body a little more so if I could find some flares from a limited to put on here that would be great. I'm sure everyone tries to scoop those up though.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

I guess I didn't see the request but here's Gadget's site and he's got numbers comparing intakes and filters on this page and this is a pretty popular referance site for SC'd Runners also and has been for a few years.

http://www.gadgetonline.com/AirInduction.htm
Old 02-25-2008, 08:32 AM

Looks great man, I have been meaning for quite sometime to take some pics of my Volant Cold Air Intake, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:04 PM

Fo_Sheezy,

Please post the pics of your Volant Cold Air Intake whenever you get a chance. I was thinking of getting one in the near future.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:12 PM

Hey everyone... Had a deal I couldn't pass up. Got a K&N FIPK for $177 yesterday. Got it installed and so far I love it. It does what it claims and I have no regrets. I've tossed it around on what kind of intake to go for, and well... this just kept coming to the front of the list. Here's some pics. I'll need some zip ties to clean up a coule of things, but you get the idea.
I bet sound fast now...could of saved some coin and done a deckplate mod thats more practical.

Quick Reply: New K&N Kit Installed (Pics & Vid)