Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Hella Micro DE Fog Lamp Kit on eBay

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Hella Micro DE Fog Lamp Kit on eBay

Hi Folks, like you all know, our factory '99 - up fog lamps corrode rediculously fast, I just have my 2nd one dead in less than 1.5 years.

I wonder if this is indeed a new version of our factory Micro DE?

He is selling them for only $100 / pair (auction #2437983459). Also, does the color of the ring matter? He has them in black or blue. I believe that the ring will not show in the factory 2002 valence, right?

Thanks.

Edward
Old 10-18-2003, 09:05 AM

I don't think so...

I don't think it's a new design. The reason they corrode so easily is because water from the tires will splash up and get into the lamp assembly. They're just in a precarious position where water can get to them easily -- it's not the lamp itself. I spoke to Hella about it a while ago and they said they tried to fix the problem. I actually ended up getting a free new pair of micro DE foglights, but anyways... After about a year and a half when problems were becoming more and more frequent, they decided to come up with a solution -- a simple metal plate that would deflect the water from splashing up onto the foglight. They presented the fix to Toyota, but Toyota, in their infinite wisdom, decided not to market it. Too much hassle to recall all the 4Runners with foglights I guess... so it never happened. With these you have pictured here, they look exactly the same as the ones I have now, except the blue ring. I do think the blue would show up a little bit in the valence. Doesn't look like anything new to me.

Zach
Old 10-18-2003, 09:19 AM

Thanks for the info Zach, it does make sense. So does Hella sell this 'plate' or is it a DIY thing? If it is the latter, I will ask my bodyshop to fabricate something for me prior to installing any new fogs.

BTW, if the ring shows, I will paint them silver or red. Cos' I have Hella's red horns that show through the grille.

If I would like to talk w/ Hella about this, do you still have the contact person's name / number?

I am curious, what type of H3 bulbs do you use in there? I use PIAA Ion Crystal 85W -> 130W high output ones - so bright that PIAA USA dares not carry.