Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Guy with Roof Rack Question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Guy with Roof Rack Question.

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and right off the bat i'm looking for some opinions: I have a 91 4Runner and I'm wanting more of a roof rack than stock, I'm thinking about going with those Yakima towers that slide into the factory rails, are these any good? and what about a safari rack? most of them dont hook up to stock racks. Who makes a better rack system Yakima or Thule?
any suggestions?
Old 03-19-2003, 09:21 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I am a Yak man myself.

Here is my rack on my '91, and what I have done to make it better.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/tando/hilift_mount.htm

Lots of rack posts archived here too, so a search will turn up quite a few ideas..
Old 03-20-2003, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put the yakima system on my rails, using the RailRider towers. Only downside to using the factory rails is a lower weight rating (according to Yak anyway). 100 lbs (rails) vs 165 lbs.(independent towers).

Some of the other rack systems folks use here end up a little closer to your roof than Yakima/Thule, which might be useful too. But I'm very happy with my setup. Haven't done anything to scare the weight rating too much. Also REALLY easy to yank it off the rails when you want it off.

And welcome!
Old 03-20-2003, 09:24 AM

Thanx for the info. I really like your setup, Corey, but I have a moon roof so that would be in the way. I think I'm going to go with something like The Load Warrior but set back in my factory rails. Thanx again
Old 03-20-2003, 09:35 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Sounds good.
In fact the Load Warrior looks great in the back on the factory rails, and it sits lower.

I'l see if I can dig up some pics of other rigs for you.

Todd's old '97, he has a 1st gen now.
http://pnw4runners.net/tando/todjam6.jpg
http://pnw4runners.net/runs/4701/todd5.jpg

smr4runner (Mike's 3rd gen)
He took the LW off and has a different make now.
Notice how it sits lower than mine does.
http://smregal.com/pics_1.htm

I would just mount it to the rear like they did if you don't plan on over stuffing it.
Todd can tell you how much he packed on his a few times.
Also you can get the 18" extension for it which makes it 1/3 longer like mine.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:45 AM

So those are just hooked right on the factory rack? no mods to it? @ the Yakima site it says that the Warriors can be attached directly to 96 and up racks but it doesnt say that it can hook up on a 91. How different are 96 and 91's racks?
Old 03-20-2003, 09:54 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Oh OK, you have a '91, just saw your profile.

I am not sure as I don't have the factory rails, but take a look at some of the 2nd gens on my Yota links page here.
http://pnw4runners.net/tando/rigs.htm

I would think it would work if the rails are the same.
With the 3rd gens, the LW simply hooks right up with the hardware.
No drilling.

Maybe some 2nd genners who have a Load Warrior on the factory rails will speak up, if there are any.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:22 PM

rack differences

Welcome!

I had a previous Yakima setup so I chose to resuse it instead of buying stuff for the factory rack. I purchased the railriders and am very pleased. With my truck, 4wheeling isn't too much of an option, but I do go hunting, biking, skiing, etc. - and the rack's weight limit has not been an issue. I think the best thing is being able to take it on and off in <1 minute.

I did consider using the Yakima setup with the clips that go onto the doorways, but - I didn't like the pole sticking out where people can whack their heads if they aren't careful. So unless you really need the extra weight capacity...

And when it some to Yakima vs. Thule - I believe they are both pretty high quality and would value the product more on the accessories that you can put on the bars. Some of the Thule bike attachments I have seen don't age as gracefully as the Yakima ones (for example).

As far as differences between 3rd gen and 2nd gen roof racks - they are exactly the same shape - but the 3rd gen racks are about 2-3 inches wider. I know this b/c one of my roommates has a 3rd gen. You should be able to mount the Load Warrior rack with the Yakima Horizontal MightMounts...

Peace!

Last edited by enthalpy; 03-20-2003 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:05 PM
Contributing Member

I'm new to the forum also.

I've had Yakima since the mid 1980's and have enjoyed them with no problems. I've also worked in retail selling Yakima and Thule and I agree they are about even in quality.

Yakima just seems to always fit and their custormer service is excellent. Plus they are a California company which is cool.

If you don't need to carry REALLY heavy loads, go with the rail riders. Otherwise you could look into the Q-Tower system. My neighbor has an 02 SR5 with rail riders and the load warrior - SWEET! My other neighbor has an 03 limited - I'm I lucky or what?

My setup is rail riders and I use ski and bike attachments plus I have a Rockebox for long tips.

Glad to be here!!!!
Old 03-20-2003, 04:10 PM

Hey guys. I ALSO am new here! I am getting a 94 4Runner. It has no rack on the roof now. I really appreciate all of the Rack talk! How do thoses rails go on? Do you need to remove the headliner? (I hope not!)

Old 03-20-2003, 04:32 PM

I have a 2nd gen (94) to be exact with a sun roof... used the yakama Q towes and it works great and easy to install having a sunroof is not a problem either.