Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

new front struts- steering wheel off center

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy new front struts- steering wheel off center

Installed new front struts this weekend- all went fine- easy install- only issue was that the steering wheel had to turn a little off center for
my truck to go straight- struts looked identical to the take offs- so what caused this? I removed my steering wheel and re centered the wheel
so the steering wheel is centered as I drive down the road in a straight line- tire kingdom aligned the tires after the strut install but this did not
straighten the steering wheel........ thanks!
Old 01-30-2017, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by billkmiami
Installed new front struts this weekend- all went fine- easy install- only issue was that the steering wheel had to turn a little off center for
my truck to go straight- struts looked identical to the take offs- so what caused this? I removed my steering wheel and re centered the wheel
so the steering wheel is centered as I drive down the road in a straight line- tire kingdom aligned the tires after the strut install but this did not
straighten the steering wheel........ thanks!
Get a new alignment shop. Getting the steering wheel right (at the tie-rods, not at the wheel hub) is Alignment 101. I would have just gone back and told them to fix it, free of charge.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:09 AM

I understand that they should have caught this but I am trying to figure out what changed when I installed the struts? I never touched the tie rod ends....thanks!!
Old 01-30-2017, 11:48 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

No idea just what you might have done .

I replaced my lower ball joints and the Coil strut package and did not even get another alignment .

For some reason did you remove your tie rod ends ??
Old 01-30-2017, 01:22 PM

Never removed my tie rod ends- really basic- unbolted existing strut/spring and bolted on the new replacement- very easy to do!
If I turned one spindle just a little bit the steering wheel should have turned a little bit to match up with the spindles....
Old 01-31-2017, 08:03 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Small angle adjustments make large changes at the end of a lever..

On your part. There could be a slight change in the mount to the spindle, the bolts don't have a tight fitting shank so even if you have carefully marked and placed everything it can shift when doing the final torque. And similarly at the top.

On the manufacturer. They might have a slightly thicker bushing at the top or off center holes in the mounting flange the weld off a slight amount due to human variables or just robot drifting.

On the alignment shop. Maybe they didn't get the wheel and other steering perfectly centered in the Freeplay..

I've never been to an alignment shop and they gotten it "right". They tend to leave the steering wheel where ever it was when they pulled it in and just went on with measurements & adjustments.

I'm not really old enough to been exposed to old school shops pre computer alignment. But I'd expect better results from a grey hairs old man in dirty farmer wear than any body in a clean blue jump suit...
Old 01-31-2017, 08:16 AM

This is what I suspected- thanks!
Old 01-31-2017, 12:10 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If I remember every alignment I ever had in the last 20 years or so I always tell them to make sure the steering wheel is centered and that goes on the shop order

Other wise most places can`t be bothered to do it.

If it is not on the paper work it does not get done most places