Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New flowmasters on!! Slight increase

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New flowmasters on!! Slight increase

Hey guys, got my new flowmasters on. Got the 40 series and notice a lot more sound from the outside. Its barely noticeable inside. It has a nice V8 chevy sound and really grows at 2500 rpm however at higher speeds its barely noticible at 3250 the sound dies down.

As for performance It feels like it flows smoother however it may just be because the original exhaust may have been exhausted (to many years of build up on the stock mufflers) slight increase in acceleration probably 7% its noticible believe it or not. I wish I had a Dyno to actually test them properly and give a better evaluation.

Well bought them for $125 installed however I'm not to happy about the welding job as its slightly crooked . For a guy that has a reputation for working on hot rods the quality of his work honestly sucked... but none the less it works, without leaks, perfoms and sounds good.

As for performance Its to early to tell... Right now I waisting alot of gas just reving it to 3000 rpm. I know what a poseur Yadayada.... however it just sounds to good. I sure freakd out my friend at the dealership he thought I did a V8 conversion hahaha

If you got any additional inputs please add to this as there does not appear to be to many flowmaster 40 series reports.

peace Big Kahuna
Old 01-06-2004, 09:39 AM

Flowmaster #

What's the part number to the muffler?

mochoajr
Old 01-06-2004, 10:10 AM

I just put the same muffler on mine last week. I agree with you about the sound. Little noise inside the vehicle and lets out a nice rumble. I noticed a slight increas in power at higher RPM's. I was charged $160 for the muffler and the pipe from almost the cat-back.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: New flowmasters on!! Slight increase

Originally posted by bigKahuna
As for performance It feels like it flows smoother however it may just be because the original exhaust may have been exhausted (to many years of build up on the stock mufflers) slight increase in acceleration probably 7% its noticible believe it or not. I wish I had a Dyno to actually test them properly and give a better evaluation.
Have you done anything to allow more air into the engine? Now that the engine can exhale better, you need to make sure that it can inhale easier as well.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

I had a 40 series on my 4.3 Blazer and it sounded really good...congrats!

Last edited by kraegelb; 01-06-2004 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

I have the 60 series Flowmaster. I love it.

I was told that the 60 series was made for 6cyl and 4cyl appications. It reduces teh high-pitched raspy sound and just leaves the low rumble.

I like how I can barely hear it inside. I don't even get the dreaded drone sound that many 4Runner guys get at highway speeds.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:50 PM

Flowmasters rock

Hey guys sorry the computer was down for a while

midiwall: all I did was a k&n filter swap and in the original air box got any suggestions??

Mochoajr: the part # 942441 in the delta flow 4o series

Peace to all
Big Kahuna
Old 01-07-2004, 11:58 PM

Re: Flowmasters rock

midiwall: all I did was a k&n filter swap and in the original air box got any suggestions??
Oh yeah man...

DECKPLATE!

But then, you have a '90.... crap. The airboxes that I've seen on that early of a rig may not allow you to cut it out. Here are a couple of pages to give you an idea of what the intent is:

http://www.toyotaoffroad.net/jnburtman/deckplate.html
https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech.../deckplate.htm
Old 01-08-2004, 07:24 AM

I think what I have is a series 50 3" cat back piping with a nice oval tip .

"Have you done anything to allow more air into the engine? Now that the engine can exhale better, you need to make sure that it can inhale easier as well."

Oh I solved the air starvation problem by adding the supercharger
Old 01-08-2004, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by saigon1965
I think what I have is a series 50 3" cat back piping with a nice oval tip.
3"??? Wow... I originally had my free-flow installed with 3" pipe and lost a LOT of bottom end - to the point that I knew something was wrong.

Dr. Z (from the forum here) schooled me on "bigger ain't always better" and pointed me to this site:

http://www.torquetechexh.com/whichsize.htm

The short form is that I had my exhaust re-done with 2.5" pipe and the difference was incredible. Most of the low end torque was back (I expected to lose _some_) but I kept the new power boost at the 2200-3000 range.

"Have you done anything to allow more air into the engine? Now that the engine can exhale better, you need to make sure that it can inhale easier as well."

Oh I solved the air starvation problem by adding the supercharger
Oh yeah, that'll do it!
Old 01-08-2004, 12:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by midiwall
3"??? Wow... I originally had my free-flow installed with 3" pipe and lost a LOT of bottom end - to the point that I knew something was wrong.

Dr. Z (from the forum here) schooled me on "bigger ain't always better" and pointed me to this site:

http://www.torquetechexh.com/whichsize.htm

The short form is that I had my exhaust re-done with 2.5" pipe and the difference was incredible. Most of the low end torque was back (I expected to lose _some_) but I kept the new power boost at the 2200-3000 range.

Oh yeah, that'll do it!
Yeah 3inch will only really help on Turbocharged engines. OUr 3.4L needs a little backpressure (expecially if you have not done the fuel mods!)
Old 01-08-2004, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

I put a 2.5" 50 Series SUV on mine and installed it myself and then got it welded at a shop.

I bought the muffler and a high flow cat from Summit racing, about $70 for the muffler, $50 for the cat.

Cost about $225 total, and sounds great.

I like the sound, but only a V-8 sounds like a V-8, this is more of a high, less lopey sound. Nonetheless, sounds great and gave maybe a little performance gain.

I had to replace my exhaust because I mushed my other muffler on a monster rock, and the exhaust leaks made the thing sound like a tractor
Old 01-08-2004, 09:24 PM

SLC, yeah I did the fuel mods, still in the process of putting the APexi unit in, but I'll check out Dr.Z's site and see what's up.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:38 AM

good tips guys

Hey I really like Coreys site

Im gonna try to upgrade lightly also I think 2 1/4 pipe is good enough as I dont want to lose low end torque I had trouble getting over a log at the obstical course in Hollister as Robinhood can attest to.

What I dont get is... why does the sound get quieter as I bring up the rpm? Its all down hill as far as the growl after 3000 rpm. however the power is still there till about 4700. I'll try to give it more air however I am fearful of losing back pressure and torque.

Peace Big Kahuna
Old 01-09-2004, 05:54 AM

Re: good tips guys

What I dont get is... why does the sound get quieter as I bring up the rpm? Its all down hill as far as the growl after 3000 rpm. however the power is still there till about 4700. I'll try to give it more air however I am fearful of losing back pressure and torque.
As the RPM comes up, each individual shockwave of the combustion process is getting shorter. The shorter wave is smoother and acoustically has less "sharp edges" in it, that gives it a smoother tone. There's also less acoustic energy in each wave, hence the lower volume.

Also, there's a parallel thread happening that got to talking about pipe tuning. That could help you out as well in terms of extracting the most power possible:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=24105
Old 01-17-2004, 01:17 PM

I got a 40 series on my 22RE. Sounds good too. Like the low RPM growl it gives. ALmost sounds like a small six.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by SLC Punk
I have the 60 series Flowmaster. I love it.

I was told that the 60 series was made for 6cyl and 4cyl appications. It reduces teh high-pitched raspy sound and just leaves the low rumble.

I like how I can barely hear it inside. I don't even get the dreaded drone sound that many 4Runner guys get at highway speeds.
How much was it? Did you buy it online? Where?

Thanks.

Old 01-19-2004, 10:31 PM

Ok guys just a update

Just back again from Holister Hills and had a great day once I got to the top of the mountain it was beautiful and sunny as all of the rain clouds were under me I'll post a picture. The mountains looked like a island in the clouds... Well as for the flowmasters they growled all the way up and the final consensus is they have increased power it was very easy to climb steep angles however since getting them I have lost about 30 miles on a tank of gas from 245 to 215 and I have increased my tire width to 11.5 from a 10.5 so the exztra drag may have been due to the tires. who knows

If you have an imput please include thanks

Big Kahuna