Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

A new cup holder mod (early 3rd gens)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 10:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A new cup holder mod (early 3rd gens)

So... Like a lot of other folks, I've come to hate my cup holders (they're the ones up high under the center dash vents).

I've looked through Bob_98SR5's "classic" cup holder mod but didn't really wanna dig in and do that much work. So, I started thinking about another way to accomplish the same basic thing (getting holders down low).

This was my starting point: (click for larger pics)

My original idea involved cutting into the tray under the E-brake and the cosmetic colored panels which I was about to do... until I took a wandering through Lowes:

I love plumbing pieces... This is a 3" straight coupler, which is about to become a cup holder.

The general idea is to set this here:

To make it happen, I had to do some cutting with a Dremel so that this piece would sit down into the well and around the side of the console next to the seat:

That got me this far:

Add a quick piece of carpet foam (it doesn't go all the way around on purpose, the fit was too tight):

...and, you've got "Beta 1":

I have to do some clean up of the raised markings, give it a shot of paint, and tack the piece in with some silicone, but I think it's gonna work out pretty well for a first shot.

Beta 2 will learn from my cutting attempts in Beta 1 to make the fit a bit cleaner, and probably some adjustment on the amount of foam used. I'll keep this thread updated as I try various things.

Oh... possibly the "coolest" thing for me was the cost. Just $1.08 plus tax.

Last edited by midiwall; 04-30-2005 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
hey mark,

great idea!

i was going to do something similar to my friend's boxster using a cupholder from my local kragen, but he sold it about 2 months ago.

i have a suggestion: move it forward and then secure it w/ a screw (room perimitting) and use some fiberglass to for a strong bond. you might want to find some good plastic cement from your local auto body store for a secure fit too. sand, prime and then paint with flat black!

the reason why i say to move it forward is b/c it looks like it wont accomodate anything bigger and as vertical as a soda can. think about how fast food cups are shaped: bigger up top, narrower on the bottom. it may not fit where you have it but it has more room up towards the front of that tray area.

bob
Old 04-29-2005, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you would think with all of your down time, you'd get bored enough to CLEAN your interior!!!! hahahahaha
Old 04-30-2005, 12:54 AM

wouldn't it be easier to just get the e-brake mods from a salvage along with the cover that has the built in cup holders??
Old 04-30-2005, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

IMO i think its kinda ghetto looking.
Wouldnt it be possible to build some sort of box that fit over the console (infront of the e-brake) and mount a double holder to the top of it? I was thinking of ways to make one myself...
Old 04-30-2005, 05:34 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

"Beta 1 calling Beta 2" our vehicle owner has lost his hippie mind!

For the cost you can't beat it but I just used a $0.99 Walmart special that hangs on the door/window track...until I got my new Tuffy center console.

You'd be surprised what you can find at the hardware store!

Old 04-30-2005, 05:40 AM
Contributing Member

also it's going to interefere with grabbing the brake handle. I think inf you move it up to where the gear shift is, you'll have better luck with it, also you might be able to fit two, if the seat is pushed back.

Old 04-30-2005, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

I stole this out of the 97 I am selling. I have no idea where the previous owner got it, but it has been one of the best interior mods ever. It only requires a longer screw.

Old 04-30-2005, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

Based on OEM

That's innovative Mark!
Macgyver would be proud

Might I suggest you try something a little different with the foam? It might be even more convenient this way...
Attached Thumbnails A new cup holder mod (early 3rd gens)-cupholder.jpg  

Last edited by Tacoma Dude; 04-30-2005 at 06:34 AM.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jc1kz
wouldn't it be easier to just get the e-brake mods from a salvage along with the cover that has the built in cup holders??
That's the original "Bob's cup holder mod", and it's a bit of work to get the newer center console to fit. It's certainly cleaner, but not easier.

sdastg1; I'm not a big e-brake user, and moving it forward may be an interference issue with the passenger's legs... I dunno how I'd secure it there.

wabbit; I don't think it's safe to reach across the steering wheel to get a drink.

Rocket; yeah, that's an idea... but I'd think that a box would look bulky in there. Ghetto wise... ummm, check this pic again:

There's something in that pic that's a lot more ghetto than a piece of unpainted PVC. (hint: look "up" from the flashlight)

Christian; okay... that could make me move it forward. hmmm...

Peter; hmmm... I'll have to give that a shot before I glue it down. Thanks!

Bob; I dunno about fiberglass, that ain't up my alley. But The ceement and some pahint is definitely on it's way!

And Mr. Wevy; Sweet dreams at the Lake!

I agree that it's a bit ghetto/trailer, but we'll see how this works in driving trials and what Beta 2 looks like...

Thanks all!

Last edited by midiwall; 04-30-2005 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:49 AM

I think those are both pretty good ideas for us early 3rd Gen sufferers.

Old 04-30-2005, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
Might I suggest you try something a little different with the foam? It might be even more convenient this way...
I think Tacoma Dude's on the right track with this idea. I had to do something in my T100, because the holders are rather large. They'll hold a Big Gulp real snug, but a soda can, pop bottle or small McD's cup will wobble around and topple over if I take a corner too quick.

I used 3 short strips of foam tape, lined them from bottom to the top and spaced them around the holder. This has worked really well and I figured it would be easy to replace when they started to get chewed up, but so far it hasn't been a problem.

Old 04-30-2005, 08:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey mark,

if you get a 99 style center console and the 99 ebrake assembly, you can just bolt it right in (with some minor cutting to the console plastic). thus, you odnt have to go thru all the tapping that i did

bob