Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

new 4runner looking for some ideas

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new 4runner looking for some ideas

soo my dad just passed down his 1997 SR5 4X4 4runner to me and i finally have a car that i can be proud of. the only thing is now i want to be more proud of it. are there any cheap, inexpensive, or cool ideas that i can do to this car to essentially make it better? i have already:
1) installed a sound system+new head unit
2)took the running boards off
3)painted pop off rim caps black around the edges
4)installed a baseball for the 4wd shifter
5)new silverstar headlights

im looking to put on a yakima cargo basket but im not sure how to go about doing that and clear corners. any ideas would be extremely helpful thanks!!
heres a pic
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...4runner150.jpg
Old 11-07-2008, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by utkid1088
soo my dad just passed down his 1997 SR5 4X4 4runner to me and i finally have a car that i can be proud of. the only thing is now i want to be more proud of it. are there any cheap, inexpensive, or cool ideas that i can do to this car to essentially make it better? i have already:

im looking to put on a yakima cargo basket but im not sure how to go about doing that and clear corners. any ideas would be extremely helpful thanks!!
heres a pic
numbers 3-5 sound oddly familiar, as well as what the future holds for the truck...

the basket is real easy and it can go on your factory rails.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:12 PM

first off thats a great looking runner! i too am thinking about a yakima rack. prolly the warrior rack. like pitpatt mentioned, its easy to attach and makes the truck look so much cooler IMO. will there be a lift in the future?
Old 11-08-2008, 05:35 AM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f79/...-build-138353/
This is how my 96 Limited has been progressing so you can get some ideas. I'd do the cupholder mod first, best mod IMO, that and taking off the running boards. You can also look down and see the Yakima MegaWarrior I have on it now. You can either attach it to the factory rails or get some RailRiders or Control Towers and bars to attach them to the factory roof tracks.

Originally Posted by utkid1088

heres a pic
Old 11-08-2008, 06:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I had to do all over again,I would do cupholder mod first as well,Addco front bar,front tundra brakes,Husky front mats,struts/shocks,rear springs.

You could paint your chrome fender trim black,I think that would go a long way for your SR5 looks.

I just put in a 01-02 front grill on mine,and it looks like a totally new truck,so maybe consider something like that,you could stay chrome or get one already black(i think that's youre color ?)

Other than that save your money/do..Rear axle bearings,valve cover gaskets,t-belt w/pump,new battery/terminal,plugs/wires,ect..

Last edited by 97ltd4x4; 11-08-2008 at 06:25 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pitpatt
numbers 3-5 sound oddly familiar, as well as what the future holds for the truck...

the basket is real easy and it can go on your factory rails.
So Evan, this is the guy you have been telling me about
Old 11-10-2008, 09:32 PM

I got my 98 runner in Jan with 123K and the first thing I did was bilsteins all the way around, and a 2.5 inch lift (although it was first, i did it a few weeks ago) but my rear is sagging, so Im putting in bigger blocks in the back, and possibly new springs free courtiousy of the lift mfg for sending me a bum kit. then my mom grove into the garage with my bike on the factory rack the last time i was home, so i now have a brand spankin new yakima rack with the 66" crossbars cause i need to fit a canoe and 2 bikes or several kayaks. then came the cb, with antenna, and now im getting a yaesu ft857d ham radio and dual antennas as soon as i get some money, https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f97/...89/index4.html
then ill be getting a tjm t-15 bullbar, warn 10K winch, and rear arb air locker to go with my train horn then hopefully my final investment will be a custom rear bumper with fold out tire carrier.. then once my truck dies and i have kids and what not it will begin its transformation into a non street legal truggy beast thing... (if all goes to plan... haha)

Also im getting a foor basket asap, however i cant decide btwn a yakima load warrior or mega warrior, i need it to carry a jerry can 33" spare tire hi-lift jack, shovel and axe, and what ever other goodies i need to throw up there because my girlfriends crap is taking up space in my truck :/ ..... pick would be very helpful
Old 11-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Contributing Member

We just need to have a sticky with all available options, the list is infinite. I have some ideas for your truck...about 12 thousand bucks worth haha. But if you plan on going budget first, do what most have recommended and upgrade your console....i bonded the pull out one from the inside and haven't looked back. From there it really is limitless. But in my opinion, do yourself a favor and skip the spacers if a lift ever is a possibility. Welcome to the addiction buddy
Old 11-11-2008, 06:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the "club". Seeing how you have a flight 1, 3rd gen (96-98) there are definitely a few things you can do that are not very expensive and will make your truck 1) More useful, 2) more fun to drive.

I also have a flight 1, 1998 SR5, but she is so far from being a "stock" 98 and I have not spent that much on doing little things that make it more "me" and more comfortable, as well as usable. Take a look at my signature below and see some of the things I have done to my truck. Here are some items that make life easier.

First out the gate as has been mentioned already is the cup holder mod. If you haven't already noticed then you're still too caught up in the newness of your truck but that cup holder in the radio bezel is horrid! Cup holder mod. Here is my link on how I did mine. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f126...er-mod-132960/
There are several out there. Do a search on cup holder mod and READ them all, then decide on which one you want to use.

Next I would recommend these next two mods; Auxillary fuse panel and hood lifts. Both of these will yield huge benefits in the future when you start adding accessories or wish to do any performance/under hood mods. I installed hydraulic hood lifts on my hood so I no longer have to worry about the hood prop bar getting in my way. I used the rear lift struts off a mid 90's Land Cruiser. There are premade ones out there and will run you around $80 all totalled up. I managed to do mine for less then $20. If you are interested search the forums and I'm usre you will find my install and the links to some premade ones as well. Here is my hood lift install, step by step; https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/t...-lifts-148547/

Having the Auxillary fuse panel will be huge especially when you start adding lights, any extra power outlets or other creature comfort add-ons. I added lights to the front of my truck, both driving and fogs. As a part of this install, I also installed gage cluster indicators to remind me that I have the lights in operation. Here is the lights and the indicators and the lights;

If you want to do the indicator install here is a link for you to check out; https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/o...nstall-143203/

There are loads of other simple things you can do to your truck to make it more “you” and to add eye appeal. When you get stuck for info, recommendations or just simple “how do I do this” don’t hesitate to come here and ask. Don’t be discouraged by some of the responses you WILL get from some on this board. There are a lot of really GR8 people on here that are more then willing to give you all the help you need.

Take it slow and easy, have fun with your truck and show us some pics now and then to show the progress. Once again WELCOME!
Old 11-12-2008, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by crolison
So Evan, this is the guy you have been telling me about
Yup, this is "the guy" haha, hes a good kid so dont give him too much hell
Old 11-12-2008, 03:06 PM

sooooo pitpatt what happened on the way home from my house the other day?
Old 11-14-2008, 06:11 PM

ummm... 68 in a 45 (on the interstate), no proof of insurance (expired the week before), and illegal license plate cover. Court date jan. 13th.. there john you happy??

ill be over tomorrow to fix your system, i better have some payment waiting in the fridge when i get there
Old 11-14-2008, 06:34 PM

You gonna run the trails with us at Tellico in Dec. ?

I'll be moving up on Chapman Hwy in January.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:19 AM

evan i am happy now lol my only regret is i was not in the car giggling in the front seat like you were for my first ticket...sweet irony
Old 11-15-2008, 10:41 AM

Another popular one is the intake silencr removal. its cheap to do. Diff breather extensions also. Someone has a list of all of them on here you can check out. I got a 97 last year i love it, im at 212k had 196k when i got it.
I left my runnin boards. Our hunting club is super muddy and the running boards keep the mud from slinging all over everything. Oh and Welcome