Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Never go wheeling by yourself!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never go wheeling by yourself!

today i just got word that my neighbor down the street died yesterday out in Redlands. i have known the family my entire life and this is a very sad ordeal.
its really pretty dumb that that they off road with a 1989 nissan CAR! its a 2wd POS that they cut the fenders off of and put some MT/Rs in the rear. i guess instead of getting a truck, they decided to use this compact car for trail running.
anyhow, they were out camping and they decided to get some footage of them off roading and they got stranded or stuck, im not really sure and they ran out of water. so they called AAA and they said since they were off roading they were out of their jurisdiction. so they called 911 and no one came for like 2 hours so they decided to walk back to camp and get some more water. but on the way back, the son didnt make it, he got dehydrated and died. and his dad found him on the side of the road.
so i just wanted to say that it can happen to anyone, he was very young and in pretty good shape.
so just never go out without enough supplies to survive, and always go out with at least another vehicle that can take you to safety.

-Casey

Last edited by casey; 07-13-2003 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-13-2003, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, that is horrible. Its really tragic when stuff like that happens. Safety is no joke. My condolences go out to the family.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, that's a horrible thing to have happen. My heart goes out to the kid's family.

It reminds me of when my football coaches almost killed one of our players. He got dehydrated, passed out, and his eyes rolled up into his head. He was then rushed to the hospital and kept in ICU for a couple days. He's fine now.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:25 PM

im sorry to hear about your neighbor. my heart goes out to his family.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:39 PM

Another

That's really one of the worst things I've heard this year. Someone I know around here went rock climbing in New Mexico. He was fine up until a boulder fell on his leg. This is amazing, but what he did was sever his leg off just below the knee with a 3-inch pocket knife. He drove himself to the hospital and lives today. I don't know if I'd say he was lucky, but he saved himself. I just thought I'd share. God bless the family of that boy.

Zach
Old 07-13-2003, 09:54 PM
Contributing Member

casey:

omg that sux!

it's unfortunate that this accident had to happen. My heart goes out to their family.

it is sad that we only learn from either our own mistakes or the mistakes of others.

we definitely need to learn from this to never make crucial mistakes like they have. it's unfortunate and sad. I hope that we don't lose any of our own yotatech members/family members from any tragedy like this.

on a side note: we should come up w/ a national yotatech member contact list of cell/home numbers so if any of us are stranded/stuck out on the trails, we can help eachother when we need help. i know it's a stretch but it's something we can do to watch eachothers back i believe wa members have something like in place already right? not sure but i rem reading this somewhere.. just a though..

lance
Old 07-13-2003, 09:58 PM

I think it was his right arm, right below the elbow. I recall seeing it on tv. They called him a modern day warrior or something like that. He was right handed also. But yeah, a boulder fell on his arm and he decided after he ran out of water, his only chance was to cut off his own arm. He was stranded for a couple days before he did this.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:18 AM
Contributing Member

Safety, risk management, and proper prior planning need to be emphasized ALWAYS!! Both at work and recreational activities.

I ride a Jet Ski in the open ocean and there are some people I just won't go out with because they practice unsafe habits.

Mother nature can be cruel.

It's really to bad about the kid.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:13 AM
Contributing Member

I feel sorry for whoever's responsible. They're going to have to live with this mistake for quite a while.

Just a shame really. Everyone does something careless from time to time. It just sucks when the worst does happen and nobody's ready.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:24 AM
Banned

Maybe this topic should be called, "never go into the wilderness with out drinking water."

Its a sad and senceless death.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:50 AM
Bud

Just read this morning: Sad, sorry about your neighbor...

The Orange County Register

An 18-year old Irvine man died late Saturday in the desert while trying to get help for his father after their car got stuck.

Al Spellmire was camping with his father in the Johnson Valley off-road vehicle recreation area in rural Landers, San Bernardino Coroner's officials said Sunday. The father was not identified.

The rugged terrain features steep rocky mountains and sandy washes.

The two ran out of water, could not reach help on their cell phone and tried to hike out. The son left his father behind and went ahead, authorities said. A few hours later, the father found his son's body. He tried to revive him, but could not.

He hiked out and contacted authorities. Rescue personnel found the body at 11:15 p.m.

A cause of death was not known. An autopsy is expected today. The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department is investigating the death.

The family could not be reached for comment.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

ya thats him alright, the family has been inside ever since. the ABC news van has been outside their house for about 3 hours now.
just a strange piece of info i just got from my neighbor was that when his dad found him, he had a full water bottle. so this might suggest that maybe he didnt die of dehydration, but maybe some other complication.
either way, this really sucks, i have known this kid my whole life, we grew up together and though we weren't that close, this really hits home.

-Casey
Old 07-14-2003, 01:16 PM
Contributing Member

Unless you can confirm for sure about the water bottle you should probably just wait until the coroner has results.

Cruel how rumors can pop up and suggest the most idiotic things.
Old 07-14-2003, 01:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Tacoma Dude
Unless you can confirm for sure about the water bottle you should probably just wait until the coroner has results.

Cruel how rumors can pop up and suggest the most idiotic things.
good point