Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need some suspension help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some suspension help!

I am about to order the OME3-RUN suspension kit from toytec, i also plan on getting the diff drop kit, I was going to get OME shocks and struts all around but i have heard very good things about the tokico's my question is can i order the trekmasters for a 96-02 4runner stock or do i need to tell the vendor that i will have a lifted truck. I apoligized i searched and things are still alittle unclear to me. Also where is the best place to purchase tokico's i see them on ebay for 210 free shipping. thanks in advance for any replies!!
Old 12-30-2006, 01:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am a big fan of the OME shocks, but they aren't cheap.

The Trekmasters will work fine too and no it won't matter if you are running a mild lift or bone stock. As for the best place I can't really say since I haven't had to buy them lately. Check with SS because I know he sells them. I'll leave it to others to chime in on the best place/price to buy them.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:35 PM

ive always heard good things about OME shocks but from what i understand with this setup the front are to long and the rear and the rear are to short. i guess what im looking for is someone to tell me to get the OME or the tokico's ...so tell me
Old 12-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

I don't think anybody here will just tell you to buy one or the other. THey each have their advantages in diff areas.

I have had OME on the rear for 2 years and I am extremely happy with them. No issues at all and I will replace them with the same ones when these wear out.

As for the front I have heard that if you run OME's then you may want to use limiting straps because they have a lot of down travel and this can be bad for the CV shafts if under full torque at full droop.

Me personally I like OME. If I went with Tokicos I would use the Blue ones that are spec'd for the 04 Tacoma Double cabs.

THis is a thread that has tons of info that you may want to read.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...highlight=lift

And then I would get in contact with Ric here onthe boards who seems to have a good relationship with Toytec.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ghlight=toytec
Old 12-30-2006, 08:08 PM

very helpfull ....thank you
Old 12-31-2006, 06:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ecchamberlin
As for the front I have heard that if you run OME's then you may want to use limiting straps because they have a lot of down travel and this can be bad for the CV shafts if under full torque at full droop.
I believe that the issue is running topout spacers in addition to using the longer OME front shocks. The shocks are longer than stock but if you don't run a topout spacer then you shouldn't have any issues with CVs. You can either run topout spacers with OMEs and limit straps or go with the Trekmasters.

Never heard about the rears being too short, that's a new one.

No one is going to tell you what to buy, just give you the info to make a good decision based on what you feel comfortable with.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
I believe that the issue is running topout spacers in addition to using the longer OME front shocks. The shocks are longer than stock but if you don't run a topout spacer then you shouldn't have any issues with CVs. You can either run topout spacers with OMEs and limit straps or go with the Trekmasters.
Good catch. Thanks for pointing that out! I guess I always ass u me that people run the spacers also. But that is not always the case.

Good lookin out!
Old 01-01-2007, 10:25 AM

is there any benenfit to using the top out spacer does it affect lift height or suspension travel?