Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

need some help and tips for the V8/V6 into the pickup

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need some help and tips for the V8/V6 into the pickup

hey guys i know this has been a big topic since 2000, i read alot on this but none game me the info i wanted, i know the engine works and fits, but this is my question
oh my truck is a 95 V6 5 speed 4*4

A.
1. what manual transmission can i use thats stronger than minz and gonna work with my transfer case?

2. if i got no choice do i need an adaptor to the transmission, and im pretty shure the transmission is going to break and if it dont im adding a supercharger later on so it will, any tips on a stronger rebuild?

3. bodymounts fabrication is it pretty easy, i have never done it in my life, but i can weld, i figure im gonna over the engine over the bay and mark the spots that im going to put the mount.

B.
if i have no choice then im gonna go with the 3.4L swap,
1. do the tacoma 5 speed transmission fits rite into place? (again i dont want my 5 speed)

2. can i take the complet driveline of the tacoma and fit it on to the pickup easy? or gonna be complicated, ....this drive line dont include front and rear axc.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

Hey,

A. What V8 are you talking about? Chevy 5.7, Lexus 4.0, Ford 5.0, Toyota 4.7, or something else? Be a bit more specific please.

B. In short, the 3.4 is the easyest swap. Can't use the tcase though since the drop is on the opposite side--won't match your front diff. I haven't really looked into the swap a whole lot, so you would probably be better off searching. There's tons of info about it here.

Welcome to the forum.
Daniel
Old 11-11-2005, 03:55 PM

oh my bad the 1UZFE V8,

so do this means im stuck with my 5 speed NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. dammit looks like i gotta custom work or forget it and just drive the dam truck lol, thats what everyone says to me, if worst comes to worst im gonna mod the 3.0L my self i got the tools and got the shop, but i really need more power i cant stand driving in the city with 150hp i need 300+
Old 11-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

It would cost a lot of $$ to mount a manual behind the 1uzfe. You may be able to use a 6spd out of a newer supra, but you would have to make a couple of adapter plates and some other custom stuff. You could use an older supra tranny but then you would have to buy a custom bellhousing from Australia (which would run about $2000 I think for all brackets and all + shipping). Either way it's pricey. Not even sure how a tcase would mount. Divorced maybe?

Try these links. Might be of some help (well, maybe not tranny wise):
http://www.lextreme.com/forums/show...53&page=1&pp=20
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f161/1uzfe-swap-into-2nd-gen-4runner-54771/

You'll find a ton of stuff about manual conversion on the lextreme site. The 1uzfe never came with a manual, so it's all custom stuff. Oh, if you want something with 300+ hp, the 1uz only has 250 (although I think they were bumped up to 300 towards the end). There is a guy making custom intake manifolds that will allow you to use a supercharger off a mustang. You can find out more about that on the lextreme site too.

Plenty of people have done the 3.4, so you may find the solution to your tranny question with a search. I don't recall what those folks did about that.

Well, have fun.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, just did a quick search. Both the 3.4 and 3.0 use the R150 transmission. There is a difference in part numbers so something is different, but not sure what that is other than the tcase. I think the R150 is about the strongest they make for the 4runners. What's wrong with yours?
Old 11-11-2005, 07:53 PM

Well i can get the new 1UZFE engine no problem for 300hp, as for transmission i can get even the new tacoma transmission 6 speed, oh and thanks for the links ill look into it, dam looks like the only way to get the 1UZFE is to stick with my transmission, with an adaptor, oh well if thats what i gotta do then thats what ill do, ill just have to extended my final gear ratio a bit and extend 2,3,4,5 espically 5th that way ill be doing 120kms @2000 RPM, i also gotta up the front and rear gear ratio for bigger tires, and also for the power thats being put out of the engine. I think with that power it will break the transmission especially when i supercharge it, thats the reason i wanted the 6 speed tacoma i know that transmission can take power

Last edited by rotarex; 11-11-2005 at 07:56 PM.