Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need a new rear axle

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a new rear axle

So I took my rear axle into a mechanic/machine shop that I had used in the past with good luck, and they screwed up my rear axle.
Apparently their machinist passed away, and they had a different guy running it, and this guy wasnt competant.

He gouged up the axle while replacing the ABS rotor and bearing.

However, I had read on here that it is somewhat common for this to happen, so I didnt think all too much of it when I got it back.

I installed it, and it started leaking pretty quickly.

So, I had also read on here about using some RTV on the base of the bearing where it meets the axle shaft, so as to seal up those big gouge marks the machine shop left for me

So, believe it or not, that fix seemed to work for longer than I expected, maybe a month of driving with nothing noticeable coming out of the drum backing plate.
Until I made a trip from florida up the NC with about 2000lbs in tow.
I had a weight dist hitch, but think the extra load on the rear axles pushed it over the top. I checked under the truck after about 4 hrs of driving and it was obviously leaking.
After another few hours, it was dripping out actively.

So, I'm thinking about buying a new axle and starting over.
I can buy one from partsgeek...like here....http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199...xle_shaft.html

or i can spend about the same amount for a used one from a junkyard (although, they are remarkably hard to find and there are none near me)

Or I can buy a oem from the dealer for around 350.

Has anyone had experience replacing their axle? What did you find?

appreciate any info,
thx
Old 11-26-2012, 03:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They inner retainer may not have been positioned correctly.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...xle-seals.html
Old 11-26-2012, 08:39 AM

I have two axle shafts for sale - https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f11/...shafts-261766/

If I pull the drums off shipping shouldn't be too bad to FL. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks - SMR
Old 11-28-2012, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by So Many Roads
I have two axle shafts for sale - https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f11/...shafts-261766/

If I pull the drums off shipping shouldn't be too bad to FL. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks - SMR

pm sent, thx
Old 11-28-2012, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by DRCOFFEE
They inner retainer may not have been positioned correctly.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...xle-seals.html

hey, yeah I had read that thread a while back.

The drivers side that I'm working on now was good for like 5 years.
I guess when I had the dealer do it back then, they must have driven the inner retainer all the way in...right?

I dont know, I'll pull it out and take a look today or tomorrow.
I'll then do the grease test you talk about in that thread and see where I'm at

I need to find a competant machine shop and then see if I can get them to do what you did with putting it on backwards and not pressing it all the way in.

Also, do you think I should go used oem or get a china made reproduction from NAPA?

Last edited by mattbatson; 11-28-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:42 AM

well Dr coffee, I really think your threads on this should be required reading/sticky's.

I had no idea that you couldnt just take your axle into any machine shop to get all the retainers/rings/bearings pressed in...BECAUSE everything needs to be pressed in exact depths....NOT just pressed in tight and flush.

WHO KNEW!

Of course, I blew 180 dollars on factory OEM parts and another 60 bucks for the machine shop labor, and will never get that money back now.

I'm taking my axle with another 180 dollars in oem parts to the local toyota dealer monday. They said they do all their own machine work.
I will take in pictures from your thread and have a talk with the tech beforehand.
Flip the inner retainer around, and seat it 1mm less deep so that it still fits in the housing, but seals better with the oil seal.

I no longer think I need a new axle due to the scratches. I now think that the oil seal was not even TOUCHING the inner retainer
Old 12-02-2012, 06:49 AM

Just for added security, smear a bead of gear lube resistant rtv around the seal/housing joint and around the inner axle/retainer Inner most joint. Wipe both surfaces with acetone to make sure it's oil free.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:58 AM

Just for added security, smear a bead of gear lube resistant rtv around the seal/housing joint and around the inner axle/retainer Inner most joint. Wipe both surfaces with acetone to make sure it's oil free.

sure thing

I dropped it off at the dealer today.
The technician, after much explanation, seemed to understand what I wanted him to do.
I provided the pictures printed from your thread.

They said one hour, and then told me 125 bucks when it was done.

Wow, 125 and hour...I'm in the wrong business, ha ha

I'll take pics when I get it back
Old 12-04-2012, 10:55 AM

the dealer did such a better job.

I'll be installing it tonight and will hopefully have it up and running by tomorrow.

I was going to leave the oil seal untouched since I just put it in a couple thousand miles ago, and I dont think it was touching anything anyways, lol

I think the inner retainer was completely off of it

I'll put my finger on it to see if the rubber is damaged anywhere, but it should be fine....
Old 12-04-2012, 11:23 AM

I wouldnt re-use the seal. If it leaks again you wont know why. They cost all of $8 each.

Looking at the ABS ring I dont see any space between it and the inner retainer. It should be fine but when you grease up the retainer and check for seal depth, also measure out to the ABS ring and make sure it doesnt rub the housing.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:22 PM

I wouldnt re-use the seal. If it leaks again you wont know why. They cost all of $8 each.

Looking at the ABS ring I dont see any space between it and the inner retainer. It should be fine but when you grease up the retainer and check for seal depth, also measure out to the ABS ring and make sure it doesnt rub the housing.

double post

Last edited by mattbatson; 12-04-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:24 PM

dammit, so the abs ring isnt supposed to be butt up against the inner retainer?
When I spoke with the toyota dealer tech, he said that it WAS supposed to be flush there

God this is frustrating....

How will I know if the ABS ring is hitting the housing?

I will do a grease test if you think I should. I wasnt going to do it, and was just going to bolt it all up and run it....but I will I guess.

How does one find out what toyota requires for the depths/measurements on the outer retainer, abs ring, etc.?
Old 12-04-2012, 05:10 PM

It is supposed to be flush when installed according to Toyota service manual. In this case, with the backwards retainer that isn't pressed on as far, abs ring should be closer to the bearing. You can measure the distance or install it and remove the abs sensor. See if the sensor will read it. The ring can be moved a bit in either direction and will still be read by the sensor. As long as the seal rides the retainer and the ring is somewhat centered with the sensor it should be good to go

Last edited by j2the-e; 12-04-2012 at 05:12 PM.