Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need as much help as possible with a bio-diesel conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need as much help as possible with a bio-diesel conversion

I wanna convert my truck to a bio-diesel engine setup when my warranty expires. What steps do i need to take to do this? I know i need to get a diesel engine to replace my 2.7 but thats about all i know. Please leave me some help. Thanks!!!
Old 07-14-2008, 09:36 PM

what's the purpose of doing this? It is certainly not a very cost effective method to save money, so what's up?
Old 07-14-2008, 10:49 PM

Most restaurants will GIVE you their used oil (because it costs them to dispose of it). So actually, as long as you have a nearby restaurant that gives it to you, it will only cost maybe a couple hundred bucks flat out initially to get a storage tank and a strainer. There's also the catalyst, but that stuff's cheap and you barely use any of it per gallon (a table spoon or something).

Converting to biodiesel is actually really easy as far as the car is concerned. A stock diesel will accept properly cleaned used oil as if it were normal diesel.

The process to get the used oil to run in a diesel engine basically just involves straining it to get the food particles out and then mixing in a bit of a catalyst. I did a decent amount of research on this a few years ago but am having trouble remembering it.

Season 1, Episode 1 of Top Gear has a DIY biodiesel snippet. They ran it in a mercedes turbo diesel I believe. Wikipedia is also a good source.

Your biggest problem will be getting a diesel engine and putting it in your truck.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:15 PM

try the search button first it has not been covered too much on here though theres a site called Toyota diesel madness or something like that I know the name but you can look it up on Google

i typed in a couple basic search terms on Google under youtube and these where a few of the top ones
[YOUTUBE]QEX1YFXYTdI[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]GOFbsaNeZps[/YOUTUBE]
http://www.youtube.com/results?rls=o...-8&sa=N&tab=v1
there was a episode of Dirty Jobs where he helped a guy make diesel fuel out of veggie oil.

to do it the right way you really should buy and or make the processor to separate the glycerin from the oil by chemical process and heat.
it is a investment to set up a proper system but it will payoff in the end.
check your local laws you may have to pay a tax to convert oil or use it in the truck some states charge a fuel surcharge on all fuels sole and if you do not pay that surcharge they can fine you.
My best advise if you do convert over to a diesel and convert it to run oil veggie oil do not advertise it on the back or sides of your truck like some of these hippies that want attention you could end up getting slapped with a hefty fine. if you are not paying road taxes.
DO YOUR RESEARCH Before starting
Old 07-14-2008, 11:22 PM

you make a good point about the taxes. I never really looked at the legal side of it.

Also good point on the glycerin separation, I believe that's what the catalyst does. From what I read its possible to just do it by stirring it, but if you plan on doing this a lot you might as well invest in the chemical/heat equipment. Its definitely more thorough.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
probably more effective to take an existing diesel burner and use that as a daily driver. 80's era almost bulletproof Mercedes' diesels here on craigslist for around $500-$800 . The engines are cheap-getting a car this old up and running to an acceptable safety level is an entirely different animal.

I have been researching this awhile. I would guesstimate your initial expenses would exceed $2K with a donor vehicle. Setting up your fuel source is an important initial consideration and could help fund your project if you "sell" your fuel.

And many restaurants now "selling" their used fry oil. They are quickly becoming hip to fact it is worth money. Some of the companies that used to make money picking up the oil , now pay the owners of that used oil, and resell it to the biodiesel eco-do gooders.

My advice is start to get to know the diesel guys in your area and see if any are doing the biodiesel or willing to buy it if you make it. Develop some contacts and local expertise and sources for your fuel. There are new rules and laws popping up everyday to regulate this emerging fuel source. See what laws you will be breaking storing or brewing fuel.

yada yada....
Old 07-15-2008, 02:55 PM

yeah, good luck finding a restaurant that will 'give' you their oil. Those days are pretty much gone.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

Diesel engine will run on most everything you throw at them. Which is probably why they survived so long, because for the longest time, they where slow loud and not very powerful.

You can run a diesel motor on straight used veggy oil if the oil is at a certain temp, or run the motor on pump diesel till the motor warms up and switch to a veg tank.

They way I like is distilling veggy oil and something like methanol which turns the veggy oil in to something you can pump in to a diesel tank and run it just like pump diesel
Old 07-15-2008, 03:27 PM

I also feel I have to make a correction that erks me every time I read bio diesel as veggie oil.

bio diesel is a product that is manufactured.
running veggie oil in a diesel is not BIO DIESEL it is veggie oil there is no converting to bio diesel well maybe a little if you own a older diesel then you may have to replace the pump and some lines and seals.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by 91diesel
yeah, good luck finding a restaurant that will 'give' you their oil. Those days are pretty much gone.
That's the truth.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:51 PM

If you know a manager at a restaurant they'll probably give you some if not all for free. We go to a chinese restaurant a lot and we know the people there pretty well. I've asked them about it and they said nobody's ever come up to them about it and they still pay to get it dumped so they'd let me take it off their hands. I just don't have a diesel or anything so there's no point for me to do so at the moment haha.

Just gotta make connections
Old 07-16-2008, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good point cymon-guilty as charged

Originally Posted by CyMoN
I also feel I have to make a correction that erks me every time I read bio diesel as veggie oil.

bio diesel is a product that is manufactured.
running veggie oil in a diesel is not BIO DIESEL it is veggie oil there is no converting to bio diesel well maybe a little if you own a older diesel then you may have to replace the pump and some lines and seals.
That is a good point cymon and I referred to veggie oil incorrectly in my post- I do tend to co-mingle the terms and I realize now that is not good terminology.