Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need major help. Truck is dead.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need major help. Truck is dead.

Okay.... bad bad bad! I just bought my new front locker..... and there goes my rearend. I've got a 91 Pickup, and it's stuck at work. Thank the Lord I haven't sold my Nissan yet. Anyways...Sunday I had some strange "wha wha wha" sound coming from the rear.... sounded like a drum problem. As I was leaving work in Monday evening.... I had a "wham wham wham" sound. Had my friend drive it slowly while I hung on the back and I'm sure I've broken a tooth off the ring gear. So today after work I disconnected the drive shaft and started to drive home in FWD, only to have the front end hopping like crazy. My dad and I did some inspection and thought that my wheels were going crazy because I removed the sway bar. Went home, came back, put it back on. NOPE! When in 1st with just the front wheels driving, they toe in REALLY BAD. More passenger side than driver, but still both. In reverse they are perfectly straight. So the ring gear I can fix on my own... but what is going on up front? What needs to be replaced?
Old 07-09-2003, 01:06 AM
Jay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the steering linkage?

Edit:
Ah yes... i do seem to remember "wham wham wham sound" being a definate symptom of broken/bent steering components.

Last edited by Jay; 07-09-2003 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:58 AM

Nope.... the "wham wham wham" is coming from the rear, only during load,(coasting it's fine). I disconnected the rear driveshaft so I could drive home in front wheel drive. THAT'S when I had the front wheels toe in. They don't toe in when the rear is pushing, just when they are pulling. So, I have two different problems. Broken tooth in the rear, and up front I'm unsure.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:39 PM

So u have a locker in the front?
might that be the cause of the strange behavior? I was driving on the interstate when my ring and pinion started grinding and then broke. my rear tires got no power so I set it in 4hi and drove it home without a problem. I dont have any traction mod on my diffs. mayhaps you busted your front diff too, or might be the locker. you know how tires act when the diff is locked, but Ive never heard of that.

Sorry I couldnt help more than provide my experience.

Old 07-09-2003, 08:47 PM

Sorry, I wasn't too clear. The front locker is not installed. I was just trying to say, "dang, I bought the locker, and now I can't install it". I do however have a rear locker. And a friend has said that it might have been why my rear gear broke.

My only question is what should I look at that would be cause my tires to toe in. I just replaced my tie rod ends(inner and outer). The tie rod sleeves are straight. What else do I need to look at?

I need to fix the toe problem so I can drive it home. Once it's home I can then fix the rear end. THEN I can install my new front locker. But.... first things first.