Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need a little help

I just got a 93 4runner SR5 4wd and i am having some problems with it.

1) Won't shift to overdrive. It has done it only twice in the past four days.

2) It has a rough idle when in gear. I replaced plugs, wires, cap and rotor and that helped. Haven't really drove it far enough to test.

3) It stalls sometimes, after running the eninge for awhile(20 min). Almost like the idle drops to low. I adjusted the idle so it sits at about 900 rpm.

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:16 PM

Question Low Performance?

I would start with calling Toyota being you just got it. Check to see if your head gasket recall has been done yet. Call 1-800-331-4331 and have your vin# ready to give them. The reason I say check the head gasket recall is not only because if it needs the recall it is free but you mentioned when the engine warms up it starts running poor. It could be along those lines but not guarenteed. Other facts need to be known before I can assume what could be wrong. How many miles? What kind of fuel do you use (grade)? Other possible issues may be the throttle cable I think, overdrive switch is off, and hmmmmmmmm I think that is all I can assume. Theres a starting place for you. Call Yota though and find out if you dont already know for a fact that its been done. Ben
Old 08-24-2003, 02:22 PM

It has 80,000 miles on it. I run 89 octane(what i ran in the honda). The overdirve switch is not the prolbem cause i can push it and what not to take it out of overdrive when the truck is in overdrive(did any of that make sense). Head gasket recall? I did know about that. I will have to call toyta tommorrow. I really don't think it is a head gasket. There is no oil in the coolant and vice versa. I have replaced numerous head gaskets at honda but, out of morbid couristy, what does it take on a 4runner.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:36 PM

Head Gaskets....

Ive never done a head gasket job on a 3.0 so I dont know lal of the details. I know that the 3.0s have had recalls on many of them due to head gastet failure. The reason I threw head gasket into my bole of guesses is if the head gasket has a bad spot or the head itself has a crack for that matter it will flex causing you to lose that cylinder when it heats up. If the coolant is going into the cylinder it will spit it out the exhaust so you would not find it in your engine oil I think. If its not in the head gaskets that are free by the toyota dealer if they are faulty then maybe its in your transmission who knows.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:39 PM

Okay i understand. Still thinking honda engines(open deck design). Thanks for the help. I will have to check on that.