Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

need help steering knuckle seal?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question need help steering knuckle seal?????

Ive been going round with the dealer about a seal that sits between the cv and the steering knuckle. has anyone dealt with this seal and can help please the toy has been down to long and I need to drive it.

Last edited by chasmc2; 05-17-2004 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:29 PM

Question help please

having trouble posting a pic with the seal that I need help with. first does anyone know the number for that seal. and how do you take it out. does the metal around the seal come out to. or just the rubber part. :pat:

I hope this works. I tried to down load the pic then post it but im getting an error message.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

click
Old 05-17-2004, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Hopefully the attached pic will help. It's the only one I had of the spindle with the bushing removed (although you can see the needle bearings have been inserted at this point).

As you can see, the rubber seal hasn't been removed. Unless it's damaged, there shouldn't be a reason to remove it. Just pound out the OEM bushing from behind and then insert the needle bearing as shown in the photo (you'll notice it's recessed a little bit allowing room for the new steering knuckle bushing).
Attached Thumbnails need help steering knuckle seal?????-spindle-bushings.jpg  
Old 05-17-2004, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by jimrockford
Hopefully the attached pic will help. It's the only one I had of the spindle with the bushing removed (although you can see the needle bearings have been inserted at this point).

As you can see, the rubber seal hasn't been removed. Unless it's damaged, there shouldn't be a reason to remove it. Just pound out the OEM bushing from behind and then insert the needle bearing as shown in the photo (you'll notice it's recessed a little bit allowing room for the new steering knuckle bushing).
mine was damaged so I had to replace the thing. I started to use a chissel and relized the plate and seal are one peice. so just got a bfh and slammed it out nice and easy. then I used the large bushing tap that you can get at your local auto parts. free of course other than deposit. so now im finally putting it all back togher. should have it done in the next hour 1/2 or so. thanks for all of your help through all of this. the only thing that I went with taking the knuckle down and having them take out the inner bushing for me. I tried the socket thing and not enough to grab on to.
tried a t finger pilet bearing puller and a slid hammer to no avail. started getting pissed gave up to let someone that does this shtuf everyday. I do thank you again. hope one of these days I can return the advice.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by 86toyota
thanks but thats where I got the picture to post.
Old 05-17-2004, 10:30 PM
Contributing Member

I was a little worried there for a while. Glad you figured it out.

It was probably a good idea to have someone remove the inner bushings for you. I remember what a chore that was. Those things just don't want to come out.

Let me know how the front end sounds when you get everything put back together. You should hear the sweet sounds of silence...
Old 05-17-2004, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by jimrockford
I was a little worried there for a while. Glad you figured it out.

It was probably a good idea to have someone remove the inner bushings for you. I remember what a chore that was. Those things just don't want to come out.

Let me know how the front end sounds when you get everything put back together. You should hear the sweet sounds of silence...
I really hope so. the noise I had was a loud sqeeling noise like bearings. I figured that I was in there so lets fix everything. a rattle on your rig is ok, i guess, but a siren coming from your front end sucks I will let you know how the rest goes. should be really good consedering how many times ive done my bearings thinking the squell was a bearing. This last time it was really bad. was the bearings. dam seals. If this dont work. sas is next.