Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need help with R150 R/R

Old 04-02-2009, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with R150 R/R

So its been a LONG time since I've posted (still browse) and I figured this is an issue that I would really like to get some expertise on.

I have a 00' TRD Tacoma with a toasted clutch and a horrid 3rd gear. I sourced a used 5speed and transfer case for a weekend of transmission R/R and clutch R/R. Here is my dilemma...

I just pulled the stock trans today. When I pulled out the transfer case shift lever I noticed a LOT of metallic bits. I purchased the transmission/transfer case combo used (still connected): the trans I bought has the transfer case with the electronic 2wd/4wd shifter on it where as my Tacoma has the manual 4wd lever for the transfer case. I was planning on just pulling the transmission apart and using my stock transfer case with the new/used transmission. Now that I have seen how beat my stock x-case is (242k miles) and how fresh the new/used unit is (34k miles) I would really like to know of there is a way for me to use the entire setup in my Tacoma. I was thinking that I could just swap my manual rear transfer case cover over to the new one and get rid of the electronic rear cover.

1) Is something like this doable?
2) If not is there any other way I can make this new(er) x-case work?
3) If I am not mistaken, the bits that I saw in the top of the x-case after pulling the shift lever are from components coming apart, is this correct to assume or is there some sort of plastic bushing that has possibly just broken apart?

Any insight and or help with this would be awesome. I would really like to utilize this transmission AND transfer case if possible. I got my new clutch but I would much rather have a fresh trans in there since mine is in bad shape. If there are any pictures I can take or answers I can give that will help you all help me please let me know. Thanks in advance everyone!
Old 04-09-2009, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In case anyone cares, this is NOT doable. I resused the old transfer case because the newer electronic ones cannot fit. Newer 5speed works like a charm and the Taco is back on the road.