Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need Help Quick!! Where Is The Flasher Unit?????????????????

Old 06-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need Help Quick!! Where Is The Flasher Unit?????????????????

OK, i don't have time to search as i am already way past when i should have left on my trip.

My turn signals died today, worked yesterday but no go today. Hazards still work fine though. So i am thinking it is the turn signal flasher unit. BUT I CAN'T FIND IT!!

Does anyine know where it is on a 2000 4runner limited?????!???

My manual says it is on the fuse box inside the cabin but it is not there! the only thing there other than fuses is 1 relay and it is a relay with 4 pins and i am almost 100% sure it is not the flasher.

PLEASE HELP!!! I have got to leave!
Old 06-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Contributing Member

Oh, and yes i checked the fuse. it popped once but after it put in a new one it just didn't work at all. didn't pop it again either.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could be something wrong inside turn signal lever the one on the steering wheel column, but it unlikely... Have you cheked both fuse boxes? There is one under the hood on the driver side and one on the lower part of dasheboard assembly just above where your left leg is when you sit behind the wheel.
Thats all I can think of for now
Good luck!
Old 06-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

Yep all fuses are good checked that first thing.

And i hope it is not the switch as it was working last night i doubt it. But i need to find that flasher so i can replace it!

Does ANYONE have ANY ideas as to where it could be hiding???? Thanks
Old 06-02-2007, 05:47 PM

the hazard button is dependent on the flasher. also the lever is dependent on the hazard button.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
First of all, just for a clarification, do the lights come on solid and not flash, or not come on at all when you try to turn on your signal lights?

Second, your flasher relay has to be OK if your hazards lights work like they should. The flasher relay works exactly the same way whether your hazard lights are on or your signal lights are on. (Power goes into the flash relay on the same wire, and power leaves the flash relay on the same two wires either way). When your hazard switch is on, power is fed to the flash relay through the hazard/horn fuse. When your hazard switch is off, power is fed to the flash relay through the turn signal fuse.

What could be giving you a problem (if your signal lights don't work at all that is) is the hazard switch, the turn signal fuse (which is different than the hazard fuse) or the turn signal lever.

As an answer to your question though, for anybody else who's looking, on 3rd Gen 4Runners, the flasher relay is on the junction block behind the fuse panel by the driver's left knee.

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 06-02-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, the hazard lights work as they should.

isn't there 2 relays for the flashers? 1 for the hazard and 1 for the signal? if not then it must be the switch and oh great, i won't be able to fix that.

And i have looked all over that fuse box and i can't find the flasher. I looked behind it but only saw wires. Is it really back there?

Thanks for the help BTW!
Old 06-02-2007, 07:40 PM

yeah, its really back there, just replaced it the other day. you gotta pull the bottom dash, and there are 2 bolts that hold the panel on, its on the top edge of the panel.
i also had to do the lever on the steering column, kinda sucked, they arent cheap.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Contributing Member

why did you have to do the lever? i sure hope i don't have to do that.

I guess i will just have to drive up there without turn signals....
Old 06-02-2007, 09:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Both circuits use the same flasher relay. If your turn signal fuse is good, you're problem is more than likely bad or dirty contacts in the hazard switch, or the turn signal lever.

I'm not sure if the hazard switch just pops out of the dash or not (I'm just heading to bed, so can't check now), but if it does, pull it out and check to see if you have 12V at the red with black stripe wire (that one comes from the turn signal fuse). If that's good, make sure the hazard switch is "off", and check to see if you have 12V at the green with red stripe wire (that one takes power through the hazard switch and sends it to the flasher relay. If you don't have 12V there, then your hazard switch is bad. If you do, then your turn signal switch is likely the culprit. Do all this with your key turned to "on" in the ignition (truck does not have to be running). Good luck.

PS. If the test shows that your hazard switch is bad (you don't have 12V at the green with red stripe wire with the hazard switch to "off"), then a temporary fix for you is bypass the switch by connecting the red with black stripe wire to the green with red stripe wire. This will allow your turn signals to work if the hazard switch is the problem until you can get a new one.

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 06-02-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:01 AM

the switch went bad. i had no left or right turn signals, but the hazards worked as they should, and all fuses and the relay were good. the switch on the steerin column was the only piece left that could have been the problem. sure enough it was the thing that went bad.