Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

need help:done 1/2 the work but dont know still if the resistor or blowr motor is bad

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 08:16 AM
OMX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help:done 1/2 the work but dont know still if the resistor or blowr motor is bad

so i posted back a while ago about my idle being irradic, and i got that fixed. but i had another problem which was zero speeds working on the blower for the vents. well today i decided to finally get off my butt and check it out.

i used thihs link as the reference by the way... http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Blower.shtml

i pulled the resistor out to check if it was bad or not...couldnt tell because it had a ceramic heatsink around it. so i call up the local toyota dealership thinking perhaps its the resistor and ill just buy a new one. well they quoted me 90bux which is outrageous considering i wasnt 100% sure that was the problem. so i managed to get a tech on the phone and he said one way to test the resistor if its the blower or the resistor is if there is power getting to the blower (right?)

so he had me plug the resistor back in and unplug the wire clip that goes to the blower. then he told me to get my multi meter and test to make sure its getting voltage and then move the fan speed switch on the dash to make sure there is voltage the whole time.

now at this point i couldnt push him to help me more as although it only took him 2min to help, he would have much rather charged me the $105 an hour rate.

so this is where im at (sorry for the long histor) i got 0 volts when the fan switch was all the way to the left (off) then i went through all 4 fan speeds and i had 12v across the board. this is daignosed through the fan wire clip, and with the resistor still plugged in.

now since im no electrical guru, i dont know all what this tells me. if the resistor is bad? or if the blower is bad because its recieving power but not going.

so i need some quick insight on this as i would like to minimize my cost on fixing the blower to get heat because this is my winter beater.

thank you in advance for any help!

Last edited by OMX; 11-23-2005 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds to me that the resistor is doing its job as there is power flowing through it, I would bet the blower is bad. This is all just IMO, I have no background on this kinda stuff. You might try emailing Roger Brown or just waiting for a reply on here, good luck.

Fink
Old 11-23-2005, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
See if you can get power directly to the blower motor wires, +12 volts on one and ground the other. If the motor spins then it's good, which means it's probably the resistor.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:44 AM
OMX

well when i tested with the multimeter i put one end in the postive and one end in the neg. terminals of the wire clip that connects into the blower, and it should that it was getting 12V , so it appears that power is getting to the blower, but nothing is happening.

and im somewhat leading to the conclusion its my blower that failed after i just typed that out...but i would rather no for fact before i just start randomly tearing apart my truck.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:14 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only way a resistor could be "bad" is if it burns up. Pull the resistor block out and check for continuity across each resistor.

As I understand it (and while I'm an engineer, not electrical), each resistor changes the voltage going to the blower motor, tehreby changing it's speed. If the blower EVER works, then it's not the motor.

My guess it's the resistor block. It went out in my Impala and I found it was a dealer only item. If yours uses "normal" resistors, you may be able to pick one up at Radio Shack and solder it in.

Did you search 4crawler.com? He is defninitely the electrical guru...
Old 11-23-2005, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member

its more than likely the resistor. ive had two in mine and i still dont have #3 speed. ive been keeping an eye on this type of thread hoping that someone will come up with a solution! so far, lots of good reading.

roger has some great tips but not the answer i need. the two local dealers werent able to help much, other than to lighten my wallet. there are a couple toyota parts guys on here, iirc, the resistor through them was under 30$.

lee
Old 11-23-2005, 04:12 PM
OMX

well, like i said in the initial post, the resistor has a ceramic heat sink that completely surrounds it other than the part that the wire loom plugs into. so i cant actually tell if its burnt out or not. so since i cant physically get at the resistor side as well, im not sure how i would go abouts and checking if there is continuity.

perhaps ill try and email 4crawler or whatever... its starting to get cold here in MN and this is my winter car so i have to have heat!