Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need help cleaning shift boot for AWD shift lever - 98 SR5 3.4 Auto

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help cleaning shift boot for AWD shift lever - 98 SR5 3.4 Auto

The cup holders for my 4runner is in an awkward location. I'm seriously contemplating the cup holder mod. ( where do i get the cup holder center console ).

stuff keeps dripping and leaking onto the gear shifter and the awd shifter. It's quite hard to clean.

how do you guys clean it and is there a place i can get cheap replaceable parts ie, shift boot, center console, etc etc.?
Old 02-28-2008, 05:30 PM

just take it all out, not too hard it comes out like you'd think, and clean it... Its mostly plastic, so if its really sticky just use soap/water to get it off. The leather should just clean off with some cheap-o leather cleaner.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:48 AM

eBAY for centre console mod parts.
I did mine last weekend on a 98. Be sure to get a handbrake lever also from 99 model onwards. Do not bother with later gold bracket or the silver console bracket as these are not required. They move the console about an 1" rearwards which means the shifter panel and console don't meet.
I used the original console bracket and drilled new holes for self tap fixings.
DO NOT cut base of console sides, ONLY the projecting black fins on the base. This will ensure the new console lines up perfectly with marks on the carpet at the rear.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
If you want to do the cupholder mod I would recommend a few things. First, do some reading here, check out my install and do a seach on "cup holder mod" and see what you are in for. There are several ways to do this mod, one is using your OEM brake and console bracket. You sacrifice some time and effort but every mod has trade offs. You must decide the way to go.

As for parts, you don't need to go to eBay to get what you need. Go to a local wrecking yard and look for any 4runner 1999-2002. If you can't find what you need then search eBay. I like wrecking yards as you can see what you are buying, get what you need and see how it comes out so you can install it on your own vehicle. Get the following: Center console, eBrake bracket/handle, console mounting bracket. Get all of these from the donor vehicle. My cost for all of these was less the $45. If you get all three items mentioned you don't have to worry about drilling and tapping. You use the factory mounted holes as they are designed for handling the stress loads. The factory mounted nuts under the sheet metal are there for a reason, STRENGTH. Also using the new console bracket is straight plug and play, unbolt/bolt, everything lines up. When you install the center console the holes line right up so you don't have to guess where to drill the bottom of the console to line up with the bracket. And the reinforced hole mountings designed by the factory will prevent the console from breaking because you drilled new holes to mount it. I had to cut the console to fit properly but it was simple to do.

READ my post about how to line up and then cut the new console. I know some have not had to do this so try mounting it first to see if it will fit properly. If not, then read my post again on how to draw the outlines and go for it. My '98 SR5 has rear heat, most runners do, but if yours does not and the one you find does not a big deal. Here is the write up on the install that I did. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f126...er-mod-132960/

If you don't wish to do all the work I did to mount the switches from your 98 console to the shifter console then you can route them to the dash switch cutouts. Do a search on the cup holder mod and you will find links to how several others have done this mod. As for rerouting of the switches, not a big problem. There should be plenty of wire length to remount them in the dash. I just had other items I was installing and needed the dash mounts. It is not difficult and you can do it over a weekend without any trouble. If you have questions PM me and I'll be happy to help. good Luck!