Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need help

Old 08-06-2003, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need help

Hope this is an appropriate topic and place to post it. If not my apologies in advance.

My son has a 91 Toyota pick up. This is the bottom of the line, 4 cylinder, no power anything, short bed, no air etc.

It has 126K miles. It runs great, doesn't use any oil, had a new clutch installed about 10K miles ago.

Recently it's started misbehaving. It starts fine and runs great until it gets warmed up, and then it loses power going up any kind of a hill. It'll limp home but the problem is serious enough that it can't be safely driven.

Looking at the engine it looks like it has a carburetor, and this seems to be something that could be explained by a faulty automatic choke. But, a friend of my son's told me all Toyotas after about 1985 have fuel injection.

Is this true? And, if so, anybody got any other diagnostic suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:43 PM

hey, welcome to the site. i'm sorry to hear about your son's problem. I'm not a techie, but i might be able to start the ball rollin' on your problem by asking what model truck your '91 is.

my dad had a '90 4runner a while back, and to the best of my knowledge, it was a fuel injected model.

another question i should also ask is if anything funny happens when it starts to lose power. as in, does it make noises, does it jerk around? or does it just quietly lose power.

there are a lot of really smart and helpful people on this site, so i'm sure you'll get some help soon. it makes the whole process much easier if you can paint a clear picture of what goes on with your son's truck so that these guys can diagnose it to the best of their ability.

again welcome!
Old 08-06-2003, 10:07 PM
Banned

Yeah, it's efi unless somebody swapped it out for a 22r..etc. One indication would be a red and black tag on the valve cover that says 22re with letters in silver. OK now, couple of questions.
1. Is the check engine light on when the engines running???
2. Whens the last time it had a tune up ie: plugs, air filter, intake cleaned, fuel filter changed, new cap and rotor, new spark plug wires, etc..etc.
Just a quick diagnosis from what your telling me so far, I would check the fuel filter and the O2 sensor on the exhaust. O2 should throw a check light (but not always) and the fuel filter clogged is pretty common... I try to change mine every 15-20k miles. Also may want to check for vacuum leaks and re-torque the intake bolts to spec's then check for leaks around there too.. If the O2 sensor dumped it would start and run fine until it warms up... then because of loss of info to the ecu (computer) it would just drag. Also, are the valves tapping badly??? Whens the last time they were adjusted? Your about due for a timing chain replacement too. Hope some of this made sense.
Just hollar if you need more help, and maybe someone else will chime in w/ more suggestions. Try to make a list of what exactly happens when you lose power and anything else that comes to mind.

Last edited by flecker; 08-06-2003 at 10:10 PM.

Search this Thread