Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need clutch install help

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Need clutch install help

We finished up a clutch replacement yesterday that we had started over the weekend. This is on my 86 4Runner.

The clutch pedal feels soft and there is chatter when the clutch is let out.

I know that a couple of possibilities for this include a warped flywheel. Due to a persistent father in law, we did not resurface the flywheel. Is this more than likely the culprit?

Grease or oil on the clutch itself is also another possible cause right?
The probability of us getting a little grease on the clutch is definitely there, however I don't believe that this is the problem.

But, the soft cluth pedal surely needs to be bled. Could this affect the clutch chatter?

*On a side note-The reason we replaced the clutch is because my father in law drove the piss out of the truck (it's our 3rd vehicle, he borrowed it for a few months) and got it to the point where it would not go into gear. We suspected a problem with the clutch, but the actual problem was a missing clutch fork spring, since the clutch was worn down we decided to replace the clutch.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:44 AM
Contributing Member

Did you replace the throw-out bearing (sometimes referred to as release bearing)? They tend to make quite a racket when they fail.

I would imagine that if your flywheel is warped to the point that its rubbing the clutch plate while the clutch is out (if that's what's making the noise), you would have issues even with the clutch in. I've heard you can get away without resurfacing the flywheel on your first clutch replacement. The second time, its a must. Your clutch will start to slip ALOT sooner if you don't.

Did you replace the pressure plate? Possible (maybe a little far fetched - I'm not sure) cause for the soft peddle.

Most auto experts suggest replacing the clutch plate, pressure plate, throw-out bearing and pilot bearing and having the flywheel resurfaced.

Hope some of this helps.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:47 AM
Contributing Member

And oh yeah, I know all about having a tool for an in-law. My father-in-law is pretty cool, but my mother-in-law is a total PITA. I'm pretty sure every mother-in-law joke / slur was written with her in mind.

I guess everyone has their cross to bear. She's mine.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:59 AM

We replaced the clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and clutch fork springs.

Even though we didn't resurface the flywheel, we did clean it up with paint thinner, it didn't look too bad.

I want to try bleeding the clutch before doing anything else as it's really soft. I've never bled a clutch before, but I take it's just like bleeding brakes right?

We also didn't replace the pilot bearing. It also looked good. I guess if we have to drop the tranny again, we'll be resurfacing the flywheel and replacing the pilot bearing.

One cool thing about this project is, we cracked the exhaust pipe weld (that was already falling apart) just behind the cat. It was in dire need of replacement anyways. It sounds pretty cool without a muffler!
Old 06-12-2003, 07:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know in the days of working on cars/trucks in a shop for profit (I work in fleets now), we would never put in rebuilt clutch disks or presure plates. New wasn't that much more, and the odds of having a comeback are much higher with the rebuilt (chattering, noise, rough, etc). Never had a comeback on new parts. Oh, and ALWAYS resurface the flywheel. Was there any discoloration or heat check (cracks) on it?

So, if it was new components I would say it if from the flywheel surface, if rebuilt it is probably the components.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

could the pilot bearing be the culprit ?

i noticed you didnt mention replacing it .

airrikk17